Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Running Foobar in Linux (Read 640542 times) previous topic - next topic

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #25
Maybe he talks about O.8 there is in preferences a setting for core.

But this doesn't help if you want to use 0.9.

Its really a pitty

I have one question can somebody explain ma (a totel Kunbuntu noob) how to get a higher priority for foobar. I know I must change it with renice I have looked for a good guide but I have no idea. With sudo it doesn't seem to work.

Please send me another helpful link or explain how to do it.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #26
if you want to run application with custom priority type:
Code: [Select]
sudo nice -priority /your/application/patch

for example:
sudo nice --10 wine ~/.foobar2000/foobar2000.exe

you can set priority between -20 and +20. (lower numer means higher priority!!)

if you want to change prioroty type:
sudo renice -priority PID

you can find apllication pid typing:

in console

,,,but my foobar still does'n work fine with higher priority :/

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #27
I use 0.83 for playing it works really good. I think I can't live without Foobar 

Although I never  use 0.8 I am using it when I am on Linux.
Columns ui seems to work but it is hard for me to understand how this old version of columns ui works.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #28
take a look HERE
it seems, that it is possible to run foobar under wine working fine.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #29
- playing audio works (but stutters if the system is under heavy load, more so than native players in my experience).

I know this page and I made everything like they described, but I am having still sound problems.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #30
It is possible to run foobar2k without sound choppiness, you just need to recompile Wine with special patch. This patch was declined by wine developers since potentially it can let programs to deadlock system. However the risk is minor. I've run foobar2k under "fixed" wine for couple month and it worked fine without single problem.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #31
It is possible to run foobar2k without sound choppiness, you just need to recompile Wine with special patch. This patch was declined by wine developers since potentially it can let programs to deadlock system. However the risk is minor. I've run foobar2k under "fixed" wine for couple month and it worked fine without single problem.

Thanks, going to try it!

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #32

Thanks, going to try it!

Can someone upload such a version? I donn't know how to recompile

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #33
Can someone upload such a version? I donn't know how to recompile

For different linux distribution binaries wont be the same. I can upload compiled version for Debian Etch though. Though i do not guarantee it will work correctly. Here is little instruction how you can build in your own system.
To build Wine from source u need:
1. Download wine source code (see this page) and unpack it.
2. Get patch (just save this page under Implement_SetThreadPriority.patch to the wine source root folder)
3. Apply patch 

cd /your/wine/root/folder
patch -p1 < Implement_SetThreadPriority.patch

More help on patches here and here
4. Check and install if missed recommended packges. Actually you can skip this step, during compilation u will simply get a error message if some critical package is missing.
5. Build and install patched wine following instructions. Carefully watch for output of ./configure command, there will be mentioned missed modules and various build options.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #34
Thanks a lot
I am using feisty fawn so I have to build a patched version for myself.Now I have at least an idea what to do.

One question what about 3. I don't know what you want to tell us with 

Please explain what you want to tell us.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #35

1st line should be obvious.. you just have to change the directory to your previosly unpacked wine folder.
The Patch should be downloaded to that folder, lets presume you saved it as wine.patch

then the 2nd line would be patch -p1 < wine.patch

hope this clears things up..

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #36

1st line should be obvious.. you just have to change the directory to your previosly unpacked wine folder.
The Patch should be downloaded to that folder, lets presume you saved it as wine.patch

then the 2nd line would be patch -p1 < wine.patch

hope this clears things up..

Yep, open your terminal and change directory to wine source root and apply parch.

You can also try deb file i just created. No guarantee it will work correctly though! Download link (~30mb)

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #37
Can I use this with feisty fawn?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #38
Can I use this with feisty fawn?

well, this package was built on Debian Etch, but since Ubuntu is Debian based chances that it will work are high. I used debian packages on ubuntu and vice-versa before. Still no guranteee though.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #39
With wine 0.9.38
h -p1 < Implement_SetThreadPriority.patch

patching file configure.ac
Hunk #1 succeeded at 222 (offset -11 lines).
Hunk #2 FAILED at 1183.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file configure.ac.rej
patching file server/main.c
Hunk #2 succeeded at 117 (offset 2 lines).
patching file server/thread.c
Hunk #2 succeeded at 386 (offset 70 lines).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 1007 (offset 85 lines).

Is that right?

I have tried  using oss driver,jack output and wineasio in other music player ,it works well........
  but foobar2000 can't add asio output.............

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #40
why do you want to use ASIO? it doesn't make ANY diferent...
use oss or alsa

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #41
asio can realtime output..............if you using some audio editing programme...........

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #43
ups problem solved....

I did everything as described but I am not able to run wine. Thats a pitty 
Your patch didn't seem to work on feisty

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #44
Good news everyone!
The latest version of Wine (0.9.39) seems to have fixed the stuttering for me (I still have to test it some more). The changelog for the release does mention some fixes to audio handling, so maybe the patch mentioned here finally got in?
See here for instructions on getting a repository working for the latest version for Debian and Debian-based distros, so you'll always get the latest version.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #45
Good news everyone!
The latest version of Wine (0.9.39) seems to have fixed the stuttering for me (I still have to test it some more). The changelog for the release does mention some fixes to audio handling, so maybe the patch mentioned here finally got in?
See here for instructions on getting a repository working for the latest version for Debian and Debian-based distros, so you'll always get the latest version.

the stuttering is less, but it's still there for me. Using 0.9.39

huge improvement though...

Also, I've been having the problem where, if I try to minimize the window, the window just freezes up. The borders remain, but the rest goes transparent, and then the whole thing becomes unresponsive. uTorrent acted the same way. Last year when I tried linux, I remember all wine apps doing the same thing. Is there a fix for this?

edit:

Mandatory screenshot:

How do you have your sources set up in album art panel? All my covers are found at "/home/nbv4/covers/%artist% - %album%.jpg", but that string doesn't work.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #46
How do you have your sources set up in album art panel? All my covers are found at "/home/nbv4/covers/%artist% - %album%.jpg", but that string doesn't work.

You cannot use the unix path in a windows app.
I think the unix root filesystem is mapped to Z: by wine (you can check it displaying the file selector in foobar). Then you'use something like

z:\home\nbv4\covers\%artist% - %album%.jpg

Also, I've been having the problem where, if I try to minimize the window, the window just freezes up. The borders remain, but the rest goes transparent, and then the whole thing becomes unresponsive. uTorrent acted the same way. Last year when I tried linux, I remember all wine apps doing the same thing. Is there a fix for this?

It doesn't do that for me. To minimize it you may want to click on the icon in the systray instead, works perfectly here.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #47

Is this Foobar 0.8 or 0.9 ?
I want to have Album art panel for 0.8 if it exists?

Can someone help me?

@Wine 0.39 that is quite good. I think sooner or later these problems will be fixed. The question is when.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #48
Is this Foobar 0.8 or 0.9 ?

It's the latest 0.9

I want to have Album art panel for 0.8 if it exists?

no idea

@Wine 0.39 that is quite good. I think sooner or later these problems will be fixed. The question is when.

Suer, the ameliorations in 0.39 comes from the Google Summer of code work being done on sound in wine.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #49
Under 0.9.39 and Foobar 0.9 I found some strange behaviours of the sound