Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Running Foobar in Linux (Read 640602 times) previous topic - next topic

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #75
we're talking about jack support, which is different than just "works well with foobar"

Launch winecfg in a console and check you don't have his message when goingin in the Audio tab:

fixme:jack:JACK_drvLoad error loading the jack library libjack.so, please install this library to use jack

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #76
If you upgrade to 9.41 there is just the message that the registered audio driver Jack couldn't be found.
I don't know how to fixed this. I searched with google but didn' find anything how to fix this...
Maybe the alsa wrapper in jack can help?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #77
When switching to the audio tab, the only errors winecfg is spitting out are:
fixme:wave:ALSA_AddCaptureDevice Add support for DSCapture
ALSA lib ../../../src/pcm/pcm_mmap.c:369:(snd_pcm_mmap) mmap failed: Invalid argument
ALSA lib ../../../src/pcm/pcm_mmap.c:369:(snd_pcm_mmap) mmap failed: Invalid argument

JACK is not appearing as an available sound driver:

I am running wine v0.9.41 on kubuntu 7.04 (feisty fawn) x86_64.

To resolve the original error of the missing libjack I used:
Code: [Select]
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libjack0.100.0.so.0 /usr/lib/wine/libjack.so

If you do not have a /usr/lib/libjack0.100.0.so.0 you might want to:
sudo apt-get install libjack0.100.0-0

For more information on getting Jack up and running you might find this tutorial helpful.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #78

we're talking about jack support, which is different than just "works well with foobar"

Launch winecfg in a console and check you don't have his message when goingin in the Audio tab:

fixme:jack:JACK_drvLoad error loading the jack library libjack.so, please install this library to use jack

all I get is:

nbv4@nbv4:~$ winecfg
fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found, disabling mixer

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #79
wine v0.9.41 doesn't seem to support jack but 0.9.40 is..

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #80
The audio still goes into a short loop whenever I load a web page in firefox. I'm currently using wine 0.9.41 - there's a new version (0.9.42) out since two days ago, I'm waiting for Ubuntu Feisty packages to show up.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #81
I will try it... Hope it works!

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #82
The audio still goes into a short loop whenever I load a web page in firefox. I'm currently using wine 0.9.41 - there's a new version (0.9.42) out since two days ago, I'm waiting for Ubuntu Feisty packages to show up.

Thats actually a Firefox problem, not really a wine/foobar problem. Firefox spikes CPU usage to 100% for a second or two when you load certain webpages. I guess wine could stand to handle that spike a little better, but if you were to use another browser, I bet you wouldn't have any "looping"

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #83
nbv4: that's not the point. Different applications have different requirements. Audio playback must never skip, no matter the CPU usage. Whatever I do, with firefox or other apps, XMMS playback doesn't skip, loop or stutter. I can encode files to FLAC or WavPack while playing music with XMMS without the playback getting disturbed.

Maybe it's just a buffer issue, I have no idea (nor do I know how to configure that with wine). I tried changing foobar's buffer, it didn't solve the problem.
I upgraded to wine 0.9.42 btw, no improvement.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #84
I'm not sure about stutter (music stutters when I run yes, but so does everything else) but everything I play has this annoying snow in the background. I assume this is wine's fault, but how can I fix it?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #85
fivre: I once encountered some background whitenoise and resolved it by making the output bitdepth of my foobar match the bitdepth of my wine settings.

Compare:
File> Preferences> Playback> Output> "Output data format"

With:
wincfg> "Audio" Tab> "Default Bits Per Sample"

You might also want to try changing "Default Sample Rate" from 48khz to 44.1Khz, or switching from ALSA to OSS.

---
On another note, wine 0.9.42 and still no JACK.
---

And for something totally different, I recently discovered a nice player for linux called gmusicbrowser. It has a customizable interface, supports ID3v2.4 custom tags, supports album art in the playlist, playlists grouped by album (with collapsable headers), and a whole slew of other stuff. The project is not as mature as foobar and it primarily for playback only (no conversion utils that I could find) but you might find it worth a try. I find it quite nice when I'm sick of wrestling with wine.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #86
fivre: I once encountered some background whitenoise and resolved it by making the output bitdepth of my foobar match the bitdepth of my wine settings.

[Wine settings etc.]

Thanks, that helped a lot.

Still seems a bit off, but that's probably just me expecting it to be off.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #88
skamp: It can use mpeg321, gstreamer, or mplayer (or even icecast) for output. It is not restricted to gstreamer. I wish they had a proper forum for discussion and development though. Foobar is still a far more mature program but wine is such a headache.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #89
It can use mpeg321, gstreamer, or mplayer (or even icecast) for output.

Neither of which supports gapless playback, if I'm not mistaken.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #90
I think I have made a mistake when updating to a version of wine later then .9.40.
Now I have the stutters again although using jack.
I regret having updated. So  there is really a truth in

"NEVER CHANGE A RUNNING SYSTEM!"

Maybe I will make a complete new Feisty: I can't live without Foobar although Ubuntu has its own charm

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #91
And for something totally different, I recently discovered a nice player for linux called gmusicbrowser. It has a customizable interface, supports ID3v2.4 custom tags, supports album art in the playlist, playlists grouped by album (with collapsable headers), and a whole slew of other stuff. The project is not as mature as foobar and it primarily for playback only (no conversion utils that I could find) but you might find it worth a try. I find it quite nice when I'm sick of wrestling with wine.

looks cool, is it also possible to customize your library like say the album list? And to use covers in your library (library filter)?

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #92
gentoo-amd64, wine v0.9.38, foobar v.0.9.4.4, and lots of plugins. 

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #93
Is dragging menu toolbars working for anyone here? I can't move or re-order any of them  whatever I try, and it's driving me nuts. Maybe I have to make a parallel installation in windows, and move the config file? Thinking of it, I should be able to just run foobar from the linux folder and make any changes I want... hmm... I'll try it and report back.

Other than that it seems like it's working flawlessly right away, no sound stuttering or graphical glitches.

Using Kubuntu Gutsy tribe 4.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #94
Try loading a web page in Firefox while listening to music on foobar2000. If the sound doesn't go into a loop, I'd really like to know more about your setup (I'm using Ubuntu Gutsy myself).

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #95
Is dragging menu toolbars working for anyone here? I can't move or re-order any of them  whatever I try, and it's driving me nuts. Maybe I have to make a parallel installation in windows, and move the config file? Thinking of it, I should be able to just run foobar from the linux folder and make any changes I want... hmm... I'll try it and report back.

Other than that it seems like it's working flawlessly right away, no sound stuttering or graphical glitches.

Using Kubuntu Gutsy tribe 4.

if you minimize the window, leave it for a few minutes, then click on the taskbar, does it come right up every time? That "bug" is by far the most annoying one of all. Theres a way around it by clicking on the systray icon, but that always messes things up by switching desktops.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #96
Try loading a web page in Firefox while listening to music on foobar2000. If the sound doesn't go into a loop, I'd really like to know more about your setup (I'm using Ubuntu Gutsy myself).

Did you try setting it to emulation mode instead of hardware mode?  The original post seems to say that might fix sound issues.  I am having the same problem, so I'll let you know if it fixes it when I get home and try it out.

Edit: Works like a charm!  Tried all the settings ("Full" "Standard" "Basic" and "Emulation"), and only "Emulation" worked.  Didn't check the "Driver Emulation" check box.  Using an ASUS P5K ("Intel HDA" onboard sound) w/ a Core 2 Duo 6450 2.13ghz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 7900 on the latest proprietary driver off nVidia's website.  Didn't try messing with buffer lengths, etc, since this seems to work perfectly, so far.

• ProjectM - This component doesn't load, something is missing and I do not know what
  • Queuemanager - This component doesn't load, something is missing and I do not know what

Don't know if this has already been suggested, or if you already tried it.  There's a tool for checking library dependencies that may be useful:
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iAppId=1668
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=2257

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #97
Edit: Works like a charm!  Tried all the settings ("Full" "Standard" "Basic" and "Emulation"), and only "Emulation" worked.  Didn't check the "Driver Emulation" check box.  Using an ASUS P5K ("Intel HDA" onboard sound) w/ a Core 2 Duo 6450 2.13ghz, 4GB RAM, GeForce 7900 on the latest proprietary driver off nVidia's website.  Didn't try messing with buffer lengths, etc, since this seems to work perfectly, so far.

Well, if foobar was using one core for playback, and firefox used the other core, obviously loading a web page in firefox wouldn't affect foobar. In any case your setup is orders of magnitude faster than mine, which doesn't mean there is no software issue with wine, only that your setup is too fast for the problem to surface.
Note that I have switched to Opera for browsing the web, and it's much faster on my setup than firefox.

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #98
There is one thing which can resolve all your problems guys. I had the same problems as you with skipping Foobar2000 under wine, while doing CPU intensive tasks, well even those not really intensive skipped sound, like starting Firefox

You need just to recompile your kernel, with CFS (Complete Fair Scheduler) patch. Here is the official link for patch:
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/cfs-scheduler/

It will be default CPU time scheduler in 2.6.23 kernel, until then you need to patch your source. It only changes the way, CPU time is distributed to all the running processes in your system. It can't hurt your system or something like this, and it's stable as a rock, as I sad it will be in next official kernel by default.

Now i can, compile kernel(!), run Firefox, listen music, run updatedb, and do many more things at one time without even 1 sec sound skipping, so i think this says all.

Cheers!

Running Foobar in Linux

Reply #99
Hi there! This news about the CFS are great, but I guess I'll wait for the new kernel, it's less risky.

Anyway I'm having a very nice experience with wine+foobar2000 but I'm noticing some skipping when I resume playback from a pause, does anyone else noticed this?