Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why don't so many LAME-MP3s have j-stereo? (Read 5992 times) previous topic - next topic

Why don't so many LAME-MP3s have j-stereo?

I checked out the mp3s I've downloaded so far with EncSpot and I realized, that 95% of the mp3s encoded with LAME 3.90, 3.92 and 3.93 don't have joint stereo. Is there an advantage to use LAME with simple stereo which I don't know or are they all just stupid ?

Reply #1
Because ppl are stupid and due to some broken encoders creating the myth that joint-stereo is a bad thing.
Many release groups decided to use "real" stereo because of this myth.

Reply #2
I think the default settings in certain popular programs (CDex) that encode with LAME are set to Stereo so that's why many people would end up using it.

Reply #3
Because the standard on usenet is 192 CBR, Full Stereo, LAME 3.93.1 and people on usenet are too fearful of change to agree on fixing it.