Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Your all time favourite movie(s) (Read 12208 times) previous topic - next topic

Your all time favourite movie(s)

Curiosity I guess

Reply #1
My Fav great Movie is "Raging Bull" from 1980 Directed by Martin  Scorsese

My Fav bad movie of all time is "The Creeping Terror" from 1964 Directed by Vic Savage
you will make mp3's for compatibility reasons.

Reply #2
WarGames
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.

- Abraham Lincoln

Reply #3
Ghost In The Shell.

I got the Japanese DVD in order to enjoy the beautiful music of the movie, because the dynamics compression is ugly, on the French DVD. Each time a percussion is played, the choir makes 20 steps back in the soundstage ! And the English and US versions have replaced the ending score with a completely off topic track.
Note also, for those interested, that the english subtitles are terrible. They sometimes even say the opposite of the original meaning. The plot is difficult to understand to begin with, it becomes completely impossible reading english subs.
However you don't need to buy the expensive japanese edition (that features good english dubtitles instead of subs). The Korean edition is much cheaper, and must be basically the same (but I don't know about the subs).

Reply #4
God, I hate Masamune Shirow

Anyway, my favorite movies of all time:
-The Godfather
-Forrest Gump
-Scent of a Woman

Reply #5
God, I hate Masamune Shirow

There is little left of Masamune Shirow's style in the movie.

Reply #6
There is little left of Masamune Shirow's style in the movie.

You mean, the drawing style?

I also dislike his storytelling, the subjects he tackles, and the fact that some of his ideas (concerning replicants, future, etc.) were already hard boiled 20+ years ago when Ridley Scott came out with Blade Runner.

In my case, I can resume the japanese animation I like in one word: Miyazaki.

Reply #7
There are a couple of filmmakers/directors/writers, whose work I really admire, but if I had to pick just some movies I think these would be it:

Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction

As you might have gussed I'm literally obsessed with Quentin Tarantino and could have listed any other movie he participated in, but those really are his stand outs.

Reqiem for a Dream
Arronofsky is a great artist but only a mediocre storyteller. While this pretty much destroyed Pi, Requiem of a Dream seems even more intense, because its story is so cheesy and simple.

Waking Life
This movie is just plain genious. Download/Get/Rent it now and discuss it with your friends.

Natural Born Killers
Ohh, another Tarantino movie, but with a twist. Stone takes Tarantino's original script and creates something new and very exciting out of it. Its artistic style is a little exhaustive at times, but fits well into the context.

Fight Club
Is there anything better than a bunch of half naked guys beating each other up and starting a revolution?
I'm not too fond of Fincher's other movies, but in Fight Club it just works out perfectly.

Mulholland Drive
It's David Lynch, it's IMHO his best work and it has lesbian sex...

A Clockwork Orange
No explanation should be needed...

Other excellent movies, which I watched very recently are Titus (a beautifully shot Shakespear Drama starring Anthony Hopkins) and Donnie Darko, which is one of the most interesting movies about time travel ever made.

dev0
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #8
all [span style='font-size:21pt;line-height:100%']MONTY PYTHON[/span] movies!

I think American Beauty, Pulp Fiction and Fight Club should also be mentioned... btw. I appreciate dramas dealing with WWII. Some of those are fu**ing good but do not reach the masses and therefore are not famous.

EDIT: OH dear! I forgot [span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%']Stanley Kubrik[/span]. Most of his films rock
I love the moderators.

Reply #9
Many that I like, but only one is my favorite by far...

[span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%']Breakfast At Tiffany's[/span] (1961)

Second place is Roman Holiday (1953)

Third place is a tie between every other movie starring Audrey Hepburn.

(I'm a sucker for romantic movies, so that category dominates the rest of my list, though I also enjoy sci-fis, dramas, and the occasional random oddity such as Memento, Brazil and A Clockwork Orange.)

Reply #10
Matrix & Matrix Reloaded so far
MPC: --quality 10 --xlevel (v. 1.15s) (archive/transcoding)
MP3:  LAME 3.96.1 --preset standard (daily listening/portable)

Reply #11
As Good As It Gets
Pulp Fiction
Zardos
Always
Let's suppose that rain washes out a picnic. Who is feeling negative? The rain? Or YOU? What's causing the negative feeling? The rain or your reaction? - Anthony De Mello

Reply #12
... and the occasional random oddity such as Memento, Brazil and A Clockwork Orange.

Brazil... now there's a title I didn't expect to see mentioned. Especially since I both know that one, and enjoyed it!

Others that rank high on my list (and I am far from a cinemaphile, so I probably haven't seen more than a fraction of the number of films anyone else here could boast):

The Beatles' Yellow Submarine (1968)

Jim Henson's The Muppet Movie (1979)

Robert Heinlein's The Puppet Masters (1994, based on the 1951 novel)

- M.

Edit: Stupid grammatical errors!

Reply #14
American Beauty

Reply #15
Brazil... now there's a title I didn't expect to see mentioned. Especially since I both know that one, and enjoyed it!

I just think Terry Gilliam has a genius sense of vision.  I like his other stuff, too, such as Time Bandits, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and 12 Monkeys.

I also see lots of other titles in this thread that are among my faves, includingPulp Fiction, The Matrix and anything by Stanley Kubrick (though I did acknowledge A Clockwork Orange directly).

Robert Heinlein's The Puppet Masters (1994, based on the 1951 novel)

Ahhh...Robert Anson Heinlein...one of my very favorite authors (close second to Asimov).  The book The Puppet Masters was much better than the movie though (as is true for many book>movie transitions, including Starship Troopers).  I just started reading Stranger in a Strange Land, and I just bought Friday which I'll dive into next.  I wish they'd make my very favorite Heinlein book into a film...The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.  Then again, maybe they shouldn't.   

Sorry to get OT about books instead of movies, but when Heinlein is mentioned I have to jump in...

Reply #16
Dark City
In The Mouth of Madness
The Thing (Carpenter's version)
Repo Man
The Third Man
The Big Sleep
8 1/2
Rear Window
Do The Right Thing
Blue Velvet
Being John Malkovitch
The Big Lebowski

Reply #17
Ahhh...Robert Anson Heinlein...one of my very favorite authors (close second to Asimov).  The book The Puppet Masters was much better than the movie though (as is true for many book>movie transitions, including Starship Troopers).  I just started reading Stranger in a Strange Land, and I just bought Friday which I'll dive into next.  I wish they'd make my very favorite Heinlein book into a film...The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.  Then again, maybe they shouldn't.   

Sorry to get OT about books instead of movies, but when Heinlein is mentioned I have to jump in...

Don't blame you for jumping in... if anyone else had mentioned Heinlein first, I would have as well.

Yes, The Puppet Masters novel was better than the film, but one of the reasons I rate the film so highly is that it's the only example of Heinlein's work translated to the screen that does any semblance of justice to the original. (Sure, they had to edit a few things... after all, you want the audience to sit through the whole thing, don't you? But they did it the right way, and stayed true to Heinlein's original forcus and vision.)

Only two of his other works have been filmed (... and released; there have been numerous aborted attempts to film Stranger in a Strange Land, but nobody really groks the way that one should be done.), and of the two Destination Moon doesn't really count, because Heinlein conceived it as a screenplay and wrote his own novelization. Starship Troopers was a travesty, and should never have been filmed... at least, not like it was. The animated Roughnecks series comes much closer to the tone, theme and spirit of the novel.

All in all, I'd have to rank Heinlein ahead of Asimov as a writer... although I have the complete (yes, really) fictional works of both. The paperback versions fill two large boxes in my office - I ran out of shelf space long ago - and I'm slowly accumulating a set of their respective hardbacks.

You did get the original, uncut version of Stranger, right? If not, PM me... I've got a few spare copies of that one lying around. 

To drift back toward the original topic, I always thought The Door Into Summer would film well, although it would have to begin as a period piece. (Or the gadgets and gizmos would have to be thoroughly re-vamped for a modern audience... but of the two options, I'd vote for the former.)

- M.

Edit: I'm feeling slow today... I forgot to close a set of italics.

Reply #18
Fight Club - This one is el numero uno. Makes you go "Ah" the second time you watch it and the third time you watch it.. and the fourth time..
"You are not your bank account. You are not the clothes you wear. You are not the contents of your wallet. You are not your bowel cancer. You are not your grande latté. You are not the car your drive. You are not your f*cking khakis!"

Other movies in no particular order:

Memento - Mind boggling and excellently executed.
"You mix your laundry list with your grocery list you'll end up eating your underwear for breakfast."

Starship Troopers - Gore galore. Our future: military government. Only good looking guys and gals.
"I need a corporal. You're it until you're dead or till I find somebody better." Yeah.

Dr. Strangelove - Cold war classic. With the USA expanding their nuclear arsenal, this movie, behind the grotesque satire, sends shivers done my spine.
"Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks."

The Matrix - You know why.
"You hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

Lord Of The Rings - series - I just love fantasy.
"My prrrecious!"

Black Hawk Down - Intense modern war movie. Kept me in shock for hours after watching.
"Do you think if you get General Aidid, we will simply put down our weapons and adopt American democracy?"

Worth mentioning from the top of my head: Pulp Fiction, American Beauty, The Quiet American, American Pie, From Dusk Till Dawn, Alien 1-3 (4 was embarassing), Ice Age, All Austin Powers, some of the older James Bond movies, Saving Private Ryan, How The Grinch Stole Christmas.

Yes, I love movies.

Reply #19
How can we have come this far without someone saying The Ali G movie? 

Reply #20
Well.. 2 of my favorite movies than come to my mind now are:
Hero (Ying xiong)
The Right Stuff
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #21
The Rocky Horror Picture Show

The Lord Of The Rings trilogy

Rob

i have to agree here!

RHPC is my favourite movie ever, as i can watch it over and over again and never get bored!

Reply #22
Starship Troopers - Gore galore. Our future: military government. Only good looking guys and gals.
"I need a corporal. You're it until you're dead or till I find somebody better." Yeah.

Dr. Strangelove - Cold war classic. With the USA expanding their nuclear arsenal, this movie, behind the grotesque satire, sends shivers done my spine.
"Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops. Uh, depending on the breaks."

Ahh. I love those two because they are so satirical. It's a pity they don't make more such films. All the dead serious action or somewhat silly action-comedies of today may be entertaining, but I've had enough of those for a couple of years now.

Reply #23
Curiosity I guess

- Starlight Hotel, by Sam Pillsbury.
- After Life (Wandafuru Raifu), by Hirokazu Kore-eda.
- Toto le héros, by Jaco Van Dormael.
- Rumble Fish, by Francis Ford Coppola.
- Iron & Silk, by Shirley Sun.

Bye, dB

Reply #24
The Right Stuff
2001: A Space Odyssey
Blade Runner
T2 - Judgment Day
Conan the Barbarian
Goodfellas