Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Which features can be used to compare the quality of HD video streams? (Read 5825 times) previous topic - next topic

Which features can be used to compare the quality of HD video streams?

...I have a question of my own, if anyone has a moment to answer. It's more "video-related" rather than my field of expertise (sound/processing). Here goes: when comparing two versions of the same video (e.g. a high-resolution FLV version, and a high-resolution MP4 version, etc.), what are the subtle differences that a video analyst will see right-off-the-bat so as to know which is the higher quality version.

Of course, on lower resolution ("lousy quality"), things link ghosting, pixelation, etc., are obvious indicators of lower quality... so, what I'm wondering is what hallmarks to look for when comparing two HD videos.

Thanks in advance!

Which features can be used to compare the quality of HD video streams?

Reply #1
...I have a question of my own, if anyone has a moment to answer. It's more "video-related" rather than my field of expertise (sound/processing). Here goes: when comparing two versions of the same video (e.g. a high-resolution FLV version, and a high-resolution MP4 version, etc.), what are the subtle differences that a video analyst will see right-off-the-bat so as to know which is the higher quality version.
FLV and MP4 are video containers, which both can include the same video codecs (e.g. H264), so quality can be the same. The kind of artifacts you expect differ from codec to codec, you could just google for common artifacts of a given one.

Of course, on lower resolution ("lousy quality"), things link ghosting, pixelation, etc., are obvious indicators of lower quality... so, what I'm wondering is what hallmarks to look for when comparing two HD videos.
Low resolution does not mean that the video has artifacts. Artifacts occur if the given bitrate at a given resolution is not sufficient, and/or when the codec encounters something it cannot encode efficiently. I am no expert on video codecs, but in general the same principles apply for video and audio (ABX tests are a good way to assess lossy/perceptual encoders). You might get more useful input at doom9 forum rather than here.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.