Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Extreme newb looking for very patient people to help him with Columns UI (Read 3797 times) previous topic - next topic

Extreme newb looking for very patient people to help him with Columns UI

I'm new to foobar. I have already done some playing around so I know the basics.
My question relates to columns UI: I like the way columns UI displays albums, showing the album art and the tracks (see attached image 1)

I also like the fact that it shows the disk numbers with a separator (see attached image 2)

However many of the features and components of the regular foobar UI like spectrum and waveform seekbar don't work (or at least I haven't found a way to make them work) with columns UI.

So I wanted to know whether there was any way I could setup foobar UI to give me an album display like columns UI without sacrificing all of the things that (seemingly) aren't compatible with columns UI. Or if I'm mistaken about these things not being compatible, I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me how to make them compatible.

For instance: Could I make it so that only 1 facet uses colums UI and the rest only use default fb2k? 
I have seen various fb2k skins which seem to have incorporated elements of both fb2k default ui and columns ui. However I am totally and utterly unfamiliar with skins.

Speaking of which, I would also greatly appreciate it if somebody could point me towards a beginners guide to creating foobar skins.
Which I haven't yet been able to find online.
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Re: Extreme newb looking for very patient people to help him with Columns UI

Reply #1
You can't use assets in Default UI which were written for Columns UI and vice-versa. However a decent number of components support both CUI and DUI. You can also often still run "unsupported" components in a window, just not as part of your layout (like the component Facets while using CUI).

For album art and separators, try alternate playlist viewers such as EsPlaylist or SimPlaylist which have more options, many which you mentioned. There are also Jscript panel (or now monkey panel?) based ones as well which might be to your liking.

http://foo2k.chottu.net/
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_simplaylist

Reply #2
I can't answer your DUI question, as I only use ColumnsUI, but this guide helped me greatly when I was first figuring out how to create my own panels.

At first, you're probably going to want to stick with the already available panels since they are easy to re-arrange — like legos — but eventually, JScript panels are where you're going to find all the crazy advanced stuff you usually find in skins. It'll take some time to figure out JScript but it's worth it.

Look for Marc2k3's Jscript component to get you started, it comes with many pre-configured sample scripts that you can simply import into your theme.

Reply #3
My question relates to columns UI: I like the way columns UI displays albums, showing the album art and the tracks (see attached image 1) [...] I also like the fact that it shows the disk numbers with a separator (see attached image 2)
Hi there,

Those things are just the playlist viewer and not specific to which UI you use. You can get the same look with DUI and SimPlaylist groups (see docs). For example I have several sub-groups to show disc subtitles and track groupings, which are tagged into my files.

As mentioned though if you eventually want to make the fancy looking skins you see on Deviant Art, that is all CUI and JS. The JScript Panel by Marc2k3 is no longer being developed I believe, although you can still use it. The Spider Monkey Panel is the current one (has all the same sample scripts included).

Cheers

Reply #4
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #5
You can't use assets in Default UI which were written for Columns UI and vice-versa. However a decent number of components support both CUI and DUI. You can also often still run "unsupported" components in a window, just not as part of your layout (like the component Facets while using CUI).

For album art and separators, try alternate playlist viewers such as EsPlaylist or SimPlaylist which have more options, many which you mentioned. There are also Jscript panel (or now monkey panel?) based ones as well which might be to your liking.

My question relates to columns UI: I like the way columns UI displays albums, showing the album art and the tracks (see attached image 1) [...] I also like the fact that it shows the disk numbers with a separator (see attached image 2)
Hi there,

Those things are just the playlist viewer and not specific to which UI you use. You can get the same look with DUI and SimPlaylist groups (see docs). For example I have several sub-groups to show disc subtitles and track groupings, which are tagged into my files.

As mentioned though if you eventually want to make the fancy looking skins you see on Deviant Art, that is all CUI and JS. The JScript Panel by Marc2k3 is no longer being developed I believe, although you can still use it. The Spider Monkey Panel is the current one (has all the same sample scripts included).

Cheers

I can't answer your DUI question, as I only use ColumnsUI, but this guide helped me greatly when I was first figuring out how to create my own panels.

At first, you're probably going to want to stick with the already available panels since they are easy to re-arrange — like legos — but eventually, JScript panels are where you're going to find all the crazy advanced stuff you usually find in skins. It'll take some time to figure out JScript but it's worth it.

Look for Marc2k3's Jscript component to get you started, it comes with many pre-configured sample scripts that you can simply import into your theme.

Thank you all very much for the great info!

I'm going to take some time to play around with all of your suggestions.
And then I'll post a reply to let you know how I get on.
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #6

Hi there,

Cheers

After playing around with the options I'm pleased to report that Simplaylist was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you both very much for the tip!

And is there any way in which I can make simplaylist display my icon image instead of the front cover?
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #7

I still haven't had enough time to read through this. But it sure seems very helpful. Thank you for the tip!
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #8
And is there any way in which I can make simplaylist display my icon image instead of the front cover?
It just loads the cover art as defined in File menu > Preferences > Display > Album Art.

So you could add your image path to one of the four tabs there - say 'Disc', and then select that one for display in SimPlaylist > Groups, left-click under the Display column(s) > select Image / 'Disc'.

You might like to check out Facets by the same developer, for a column library viewer in DUI. It can display album art too.

(By the way, please trim the quotes on your replies here, no need to quote the entire messages ;) )

Cheers 8)

Reply #9
It just loads the cover art as defined in File menu > Preferences > Display > Album Art.
So you could add your image path to one of the four tabs there - say 'Disc', and then select that one for display in SimPlaylist > Groups, left-click under the Display column(s) > select Image / 'Disc'.
I think I'm having issues because I'm not familiar with all the terminology. It took me a while to wrap my head around the fact that a "playlist" is the technical term for an album on foobar as oppose to a playlist on youtube or an ipod which is just a collection of songs you frequently play.
You might like to check out Facets by the same developer, for a column library viewer in DUI. It can display album art too.
I already have and use facets. It's great but it doesn't display the tracks like Simplaylist does. I like seeing the CD separators and the album art.
(By the way, please trim the quotes on your replies here, no need to quote the entire messages ;) )
Cheers 8)
Yes, that makes sense. I do apologise, I'm as new to forums as I am to foobar.
I'm still wiping off the dust from the rock I've been living under :D
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #10
BTW is there a way for me to delete my replies? Or can I only edit them?
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #11
I think I'm having issues because I'm not familiar with all the terminology. It took me a while to wrap my head around the fact that a "playlist" is the technical term for an album on foobar as oppose to a playlist on youtube or an ipod which is just a collection of songs you frequently play.
Well, it means the same really - a playlist can have as many albums or individual tracks as you please. And you can have many different playlists of your favorites. It depends on your layout as to how you manage them. (Have a look back through the DUI Gallery thread for ideas there - here is mine)

You'll get used to the terminology, though. We can attach screenshots to posts here if that would help.

BTW is there a way for me to delete my replies? Or can I only edit them?
No, and you can only edit for an hour or so.

Cheers 8)