Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [see TOS#8] Opusenc's built-in resampler (Read 224 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Opusenc's built-in re...

[see TOS#8] Opusenc's built-in resampler

I don't have the best hearing anymore but I don't notice any sharpness increase.
Officially it is 48 kHz after encoding but some frontends will resample it back to original 32 kHz…

Less bodied, thinner sound of Opus encoded file becomes audible to me at the end of the phrase: "Penguin Audio presents". The waveform supports this observation (figure 1). The difference stands out more with players that use BASS library. It reminds me of the effect that your Noise sharpening DSP produces, when some high frequencies are boosted. After upsampling WAV 32 kHz to 48 kHz via SoX DSP and encoding again without any switches, we see (figure 2) the trailing part has “grown” back. However, it is difficult for me to say whether this was influenced by the preliminary upsampling or the fact that Opus now used more bits for encoding (50.9 vs 80.1). As for the evaluation by ear, I feel that the trailing part now sounds as loud as the original, but the character is still a bit crisper.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
• Join our efforts to make Helix MP3 encoder great again
• Opus complexity & qAAC dependence on Apple is an aberration from Vorbis & Musepack breakthroughs
• Let's pray that D. Bryant improve WavPack hybrid, C. Helmrich update FSLAC, M. van Beurden teach FLAC to handle non-audio data