Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to Choose a dB meter for open field applications (Read 4807 times) previous topic - next topic

How to Choose a dB meter for open field applications

Hi,

i have question in how to choose a dB meter my specifications in nutshell

1/2 Capsule(Free Field)   Microphone Capsule
A(must) ,C(optional)           Freq.Weighting Type
30dB-130dB                   dB Range
0.1dB                           Resolution
30Hz-8KHz                   Frequency-Range
±4dB at 1KHz 94dB           Accuracy
(Fast)<=200ms           Response Time or Avg'g Time

Which dB meter would be perfect for measuring SPL in environment like forests here the sound level of human is measured not any animal

will my specifications match to my requirement ?

more over coming to cost :
To be frank i listened to a argument from vendor saying most of SPL are made in tiawan and other countries import them and apply their sticker on to it and sell it for high prices for example see extech SPL and same SPL from metravi which vary in cost at high level

Reply #1
Only SPL I know is Sound Pressure Level, and you can't apply sticker to that.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #2

sticker in the sence i meant to say ....
most of the european companies try to get the raw product from countries like taiwan and korea and make a little decorations to that release the product with good literature 

leave the sticker aside

give me some suggestions on SPL's

Reply #3
In deciding what PA gear to buy, the first step is to consider the type of music you play and the spaces that you play that music in. If you are an instrumental group playing in small environments—like your garage or small clubs—a minimal system may suffice. If you perform vocals, play in larger venues, or plan to tour, a more elaborate, powerful PA system will be required.

Reply #4
Is this thread a piece of surrealist art or what?

Reply #5
I think OP wants to measure sound pressure levels, or loudness, in an environments like forrest, and asks for devices which can help him acomplish that task; but devices doesn't need to be from renomed manufacturers.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #6
I think OP wants to measure sound pressure levels, or loudness, in an environments like forrest, and asks for devices which can help him acomplish that task; but devices doesn't need to be from renomed manufacturers.

Right, that's what I assumed, too, and pretty much any normal SPL meter should be OK for that.

Reply #7

Right, that's what I assumed, too, and pretty much any normal SPL meter should be OK for that.

thats what i asked, will that be ok or whether i have to take care of any parameters ?

if that is ok then its ok

Reply #8
If you already have a smartphone, an app might be a good choice.
Built in microphone quality should be good enough for your requirements, but it's always possible to use an external microphone.
The prices look very attractive to me

Reply #10

sticker in the sence i meant to say ....
most of the european companies try to get the raw product from countries like taiwan and korea and make a little decorations to that release the product with good literature 

leave the sticker aside

give me some suggestions on SPL's

To use a SPL meter in the woods a critical parameter is the lowest SPL that the device is accuate for.  This varies a lot from device to device, but should be specified by the manufacturer.

The last SPL meter that I bought is an AZ corp 8928

http://www.az-instrument.com.tw/en/productsinfo/151.html

I bought it because it is inexpensive, but you can disable its automatic power off and it will hold peaks as long as it is turned on. Some cheap SPL meters won't do either or both.

It's specs are:

http://www.az-instrument.com.tw/upload/pro...94632-qmuut.pdf

A weight: 40dB~130dB
C weight: 45dB~130dB

Which are pretty good for a cheap SPL meter, some will only read down to 50 dB which is a tad high for use in the woods. I'd like to see you get a SPL meter that worked down to 30 dB SPL or better, but I think you will pay much more for that.