Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FHG Mp3 Encoder 3.1 Bug (Read 6419 times) previous topic - next topic

FHG Mp3 Encoder 3.1 Bug

Sorry for introducing myself with such a legacy issue. There are good reasons for that, but i don't want to waste your time more than i'm already doing.

Software:  FHG Mp3 Encoder v3.1, full version (mp3enc31.exe)
Systems:  WinNT 4.0 (SP6a) / Win2000 (SP4)
Hardware: Intel based
Files:        All *.wav to *.mp3 with birates 192/256 kbps (128 works)

The program produces a GPF at address 0x00410466.
Same happens with the demo (mp3encdemo31.exe) i digged out for testing, of course just at another offset 0x00410426.
Curiously, there are no such problems with the older mp3enc30.exe, but this one has some unpleasant bugs of different kind (e.g. only 13-16 kHz of bandwidth), which were fixed in v3.1. So, no solution.

As you probably know, it's not just that the Fraunhofer Society finished support for Mp3 (not Mp3Pro) products, they completely dropped out documentations from their Web site. The same applied to the former stuff on the ftp service, so there's no more a way to get an official statement - not to mention: help.
Now what?
The only third-party sources i found on the Web are these:

SirGrey
Jul 17 2004, 05:48

mp3enc31 does not work on NT based systems usually (if bitrate is > 128 or bandwidth is not default), this was a confirmed bug by Fhg.

Hydrogenaudio

ff123

NOTE for NT (SP4 or later) or Win2K users: Using high values of -bw (greater than 16000) may cause a screeching high-pitched noise to be produced. It's a known bug in mp3enc31 when using those operating systems.

ff123

Now my question:
Does anybody have a knowledge of an updated version (and how to get it), or of any other fix for that bloody bitrate-bug on the NT-platform?
Please don't answer with comments about better methods of encoding. I know them. But as i wrote above, there are good reasons...

FHG Mp3 Encoder 3.1 Bug

Reply #2
Thanks, benski, but these are the Mp3 Surround Tools, successor for Mp3Pro which is successor for Mp3. No Way to get such stuff running as a server in the proprietary client-environment. I really need mp3enc3(x) or another program accepting exact the same parameters.

FHG Mp3 Encoder 3.1 Bug

Reply #3
I would recommend that you run some diagnostics on your computer as this could be a hardware problem. Have you tried running it on a different computer?

FHG Mp3 Encoder 3.1 Bug

Reply #4
This is definitely not a hardware problem:

1. I run the prog on a couple of different machines (all Intel based).
2. If an encoder crashes because of hardware issues - then it does always, but not depending on bitrates.
3. The older Mp3enc 3.0 works.
4. Any other FHG-based encoder like Mp3 Producer 2.1 and Audioactive Production Studio Pro 2.04 has no problems. (But this doesn't help, because i need that bloody commandline parameters...)

FHG Mp3 Encoder 3.1 Bug

Reply #5
Thanks, benski, but these are the Mp3 Surround Tools, successor for Mp3Pro which is successor for Mp3. No Way to get such stuff running as a server in the proprietary client-environment. I really need mp3enc3(x) or another program accepting exact the same parameters.

Did you even try it? It's the newest MP3 encoder by FhG which is capable of encoding MP3 surround files too, so it's not just an MP3surround encoder. And it's definitely not successor of mp3PRO, which was crap and not even developed by FhG.

FHG Mp3 Encoder 3.1 Bug

Reply #6
This is definitely not a hardware problem:
(But this doesn't help, because i need that bloody commandline parameters...)

If the main issue is the commandline parameters, then couldn't you have a simple wrapper batch file with the proper parameters call the newer program with the appropriately translated parameters?  or something along those lines--maybe you require it to be in .exe format, but same principle.

FHG Mp3 Encoder 3.1 Bug

Reply #7

It's not mp3PRO (that was developed by Coding Technologies, not Fraunhofer).  Although this tool has MP3 Surround features, it is perfectly capable of encoding normal MP3 files.  It also has improved quality since the 3.1 version. 

If the commandline parameters have changed and you are unable to change your tools to accommodate, perhaps you could write a batch file which interprets and converts the parameters.

Unfortunately, there is no newer commandline tool available in the 3.x series.  You'll have to use this one (4.x) or deal with the bugs in 3.1.  There was a v3.2 of the encoder library, but I don't believe a tool was ever released.

FHG Mp3 Encoder 3.1 Bug

Reply #8
You all are right with Mp3Pro. I got confused for a short time about all the "Pro"-versions and the fact, that WinAmp, dbPowerAmp, and i don't know who else has a plugin called mp3pro...

Short answer to your suggestion with the Mp3 Surround Converter:
I knew, that he is capable of producing "normal" mp3-files. But unaffected by the parameter-issues the first obstacle is, that Mp3 Surround does no more run on NT 4.0 systems, which is a must. (According to the documentation it should work at least with Win2000, but i have my doubts: the FHG Surround Player does not!) Finally, i fear troubles because of the somewhat faded license terms. I remember well what happened years ago - and i live in Germany.

Despite of all that, thank's for your help!