Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC and DRM (Read 6334 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC and DRM

Is EAC able to safely rip all audio CDs that contain DRM malware? I have a CD infected with LabelGate, and judging by the contents of the disc as seen on Linux, as long as the autorun doesn't execute, I should be able to rip the audio successfully? I have the EAC option "Disable CD autostart while EAC is running" enabled, so is that good enough to defeat the DRM, as long as I open EAC before I insert the CD? I really don't want to end up with one of these nasty Sony rootkits on my PC just from trying to rip a CD. >:(

Re: EAC and DRM

Reply #1
Yes as long as autorun is disabled you should be fine. Newer windows versions I believe have autorun disabled by default. Also the built in anti-virus should detect it as malware should it somehow attempt to run.

That's a lot of "should"s, because I don't actually have any of those CDs. But yeah just don't run any executables on the disc.

Reply #2
I still kinda feel it is like, if you already had Tux smiling at you, why not rip it in Linux and try to retro-verify it by CUETools or something else?
If the problem is that it refuses to verify and you want to try another ripper, then ... sure, valid question.

Reply #3
Another option I guess is to rip it in a VM, connecting the real CD reading device to that VM
a fan of AutoEq + Meier Crossfeed

Reply #5
I still kinda feel it is like, if you already had Tux smiling at you, why not rip it in Linux and try to retro-verify it by CUETools or something else?
I considered this, but I thought there were no secure rippers under Linux, unless you try to run EAC or CUETools under WINE. Does cdparanoia have offset correction? If not, what are the odds that I'd be able to verify the rip after the fact with CUETools?

Reply #6
Does cdparanoia have offset correction? If not, what are the odds that I'd be able to verify the rip after the fact with CUETools?

I have no idea of what offset is in CD rip but part of the man page talk about it

Code: [Select]
       -t --toc-offset number
              Use this option to force the entire disc LBA addressing to shift by  the  given
              amount;  the  value  is added to the beginning offsets in the TOC.  This can be
              used to shift track boundaries for the whole disc manually on sector  granular-
              ity.  The next option does something similar...

-T --toc-bias
              Some  drives (usually random Toshibas) report the actual track beginning offset
              values in the TOC, but then treat the beginning of track 1 index 1 as sector  0
              for all read operations.  This results in every track seeming to start too late
              (losing a bit of the beginning and catching a  bit  of  the  next  track).   -T
              accounts  for  this  behavior.   Note that this option will cause cdparanoia to
              attempt to read sectors before or past the known user data area  of  the  disc,
              resulting  in  read  errors at disc edges on most drives and possibly even hard
              lockups on some buggy hardware.

-O --sample-offset number
              Use this option to force the entire disc to shift sample position output by the
              given  amount;  This  can  be used to shift track boundaries for the whole disc
              manually on sample granularity. Note that this will cause cdparanoia to attempt
              to  read  partial  sectors before or past the known user data area of the disc,
              probably causing read errors on most drives and possibly even hard  lockups  on
              some buggy hardware.

The  span  argument may be a simple track number or an offset/span specification.  The
       syntax of an offset/span takes the rough form:

1[ww:xx:yy.zz]-2[aa:bb:cc.dd]

Here, 1 and 2 are track numbers; the numbers in brackets provide a finer grained  off-
       set  within a particular track. [aa:bb:cc.dd] is in hours/minutes/seconds/sectors for-
       mat. Zero fields need not be specified: [::20], [:20],  [20],  [20.],  etc,  would  be
       interpreted  as twenty seconds, [10:] would be ten minutes, [.30] would be thirty sec-
       tors (75 sectors per second).

When only a single offset is supplied, it is interpreted as a starting offset and rip-
       ping  will  continue to the end of the track.  If a single offset is preceeded or fol-
       lowed by a hyphen, the implicit missing offset is taken to be the start or end of  the
       disc, respectively.

I've always simply use

cdparanoia -B

or something like that and all was ok.

Reply #7
* CUETools can retro-verify across offsets. If there is only an ARv2 entry to find, you may have to enter the offset manually - but CUETools will suggest for you.
* https://www.dbpoweramp.com/perfecttunes.htm - from the creator of AccurateRip - checks also ARv2 across offsets.

If you want to, you can use CUETools to convert with offset correction - but you might have to enter it manually if CUETools doesn't find it.

Also, for secure ripping ... how is https://github.com/whipper-team/whipper these days?

Reply #8
Whipper looks interesting, but I don't know enough about Linux to install it, since it isn't available in my distro's repositories, and the installation scripts are giving me multiple errors. I guess I'll try abcde.

Reply #9
In case anyone else has this problem, I found a workable solution. I used abcde to rip the disc in Linux.

abcde -1 -o flac -a default,cue

This rips the audio session of the disc to one giant FLAC file and creates a cue file of the disc structure. I then copied these files to Windows and looked up my CD drive offset in the AR database:

http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm

Finally, I used CUETools to apply the drive offset and split the disc backup into individual WAV files that I could process the way I normally handle CD rips. The rip now correctly verifies against CTDB and AR, and I don't have any LabelGate malware on my PC. :)

Reply #11
Thanks for the tip. I may modify the abcde configuration file if I ever have to rip another CD on Linux. I would not trust the offsets reported by CUETools, as it almost always reports multiple alternative offsets with no indication as to which one is the correct one.

Reply #12
I would not trust the offsets reported by CUETools, as it almost always reports multiple alternative offsets with no indication as to which one is the correct one.
The EAC log only presents the AccurateRip results that had a matching corrected offset to yours, whereas CUETools gives you this information (the results directly below the [AccurateRip ID: xxx] found.) as well as any other rips of that disc that may have used different offsets. Those other offsets could have been from different disc pressings or from other rips that differed in corrected offset to yours.

None of the logs are telling you which offset is correct - it's the matching rip numbers that give you this indication - they're just presenting other rips relative to yours.

Reply #13
I would not trust the offsets reported by CUETools, as it almost always reports multiple alternative offsets with no indication as to which one is the correct one.
The typical scenario is the following
* CUETools reports multiple offsets because there are multiple pressings with the same audio but different offsets
* Those different offsets are "arbitrarily" applied write offsets in the process of burning a CD master; just as different drives have different read offsets, different writers have different write offsets
* Although only one matches your particular pressing, nothing says that yours is "more correct" relative to the original file than another. Basically, if it matches with an offset of N, then someone has ripped the same audio as you.

There are nuances to this. Say if most pressings have offsets up to a thousand, and then there is one pressing that is waaay off, one might suspect that it has been generated by ripping a CD with big offset, writing a CD with big offset, adding up to something that would not have happened in one single process. Maybe even that is someone's CDR copy that they later ripped on a couple of computers. If that even has different audio in a few samples (CUETools might indicate), you would have a hunch that this is the one with errors introduced in the process of multiple rippings/writings/rippings.

Also if some pressing is sufficiently way off in offset, track transitions might end up wrong - and at worst, a sound (most noticable in a sharp drum hit I guess?) might cross a track boundary because the offset misplaces the track boundary.

Finally, if there are different albums (with different audio) with the same TOC, then some offsets will of course fail to verify. Same TOC occurs most often for singles, where two singles could by coincidence be precisely the same length up to the 1/75th of a second - rarely so for albums of several tracks, although I have encountered cases where different masters of the same album have same TOC.

Reply #14
Whipper looks interesting, but I don't know enough about Linux to install it, since it isn't available in my distro's repositories, and the installation scripts are giving me multiple errors. I guess I'll try abcde.

You also might try Fre:ac. It is available for Linux in various packages, has offset detection, AccurateRip support and pre-emphasis detection (TOC) amongst other things. It is actively developed as well.

Reply #15
You also might try Fre:ac.
Thanks for the tip. I assume it only supports verifying rips against AR and not submitting new results? I don't see any mention of AR or CTDB support on the website, so I guess rip verification is not a touted feature.

None of the logs are telling you which offset is correct - it's the matching rip numbers that give you this indication - they're just presenting other rips relative to yours.
I think I was a bit unclear in my original statement. I know that there is no universally correct offset; what I mean is that I ripped the disc without any offset correction using abcde, and then I tried to verify it using CUETools on a different computer. CUETools reported CTDB results that my rip was accurate, but AR did not recognise the disc at all, because the offset of my rip was uncorrected. According to the AR database, the offset of my drive is +102, which I interpret as, "My rip contains 102 extra samples that should not exist, because the drive started reading 102 samples away from where track 1 actually begins."

I used CUETools to apply the +102 offset and to split the giant FLAC file into individual tracks, at which point CUETools warned me that I would be deleting 102 samples, as expected. Now when I verify the WAV files I split, both CTDB and AR report that my rip is accurate, because AR can only verify a rip that has offset correction.

Nowhere in the CUETools results did it tell me that I needed to apply an offset of +102 to account for the read offset of my CD drive. Yes, CUETools suggests alternative offsets in the results, but it doesn't say which offset is correct for my particular CD drive. I had to look up my drive model in the AR database to get the +102 number that I needed. That's what I meant about "not trusting" the CUETools results. In order to properly verify a rip, you must account for your drive's read offset, and CUETools can't tell you what it is when you ripped the CD on a different computer. The AR database of drive offsets can.

Reply #16
You also might try Fre:ac.
Thanks for the tip. I assume it only supports verifying rips against AR and not submitting new results? I don't see any mention of AR or CTDB support on the website, so I guess rip verification is not a touted feature.
Verifying against AR is indeed supported by Fre:ac. Submitting I'm not sure, but I don't think so (yet). Currently there is no CTDB support, it was requested but not implemented (yet).

Reply #17
Nowhere in the CUETools results did it tell me that I needed to apply an offset of +102 to account for the read offset of my CD drive. Yes, CUETools suggests alternative offsets in the results, but it doesn't say which offset is correct for my particular CD drive.

If you try another alternative than +102, and get an AccurateRip match, it means that you have verified it against a different pressing. As you don't know which pressing is closest (in terms of offset) to the original file, that is equally good (at least!) - sure some samples must have been cut off at the beginning/end to achieve that, but AccurateRip does cut away a few samples at the end anyway.
+102 with an AR match will get you: file sent to CD writer #1 which applies offset P, CD is pressed, played in your drive that applies -102, +102 zeroes out the latter - but does not zero out the "P", which is unknown.
+xyz with an AR match will get you: file sent to CD writer #2, which applies offset Q etc - and all for sudden you are matching the output from CD writer #2, which is Q-P off the output from CD writer #1.

But you don't know which one is closer to the original file.

So then that "at least": if anything, a match against something else than 102 will verify that your rip is the same as a different pressing; telling you that it is unlikely that anything wrong happened after the file was sent to neither #1 nor #2. If they differ in only a few samples, then some bits must have been altered either in manufacturing process #1 or in manufacturing process #2, which kinda "is a warning sign". (I have seen differences like that around -84 dB or -90 dB or so and around track boundaries, meaning that some digital near-silence with only dither has been zeroed out.)

Reply #18
+102 with an AR match will get you: file sent to CD writer #1 which applies offset P, CD is pressed, played in your drive that applies -102, +102 zeroes out the latter - but does not zero out the "P", which is unknown.
+xyz with an AR match will get you: file sent to CD writer #2, which applies offset Q etc - and all for sudden you are matching the output from CD writer #2, which is Q-P off the output from CD writer #1.

But you don't know which one is closer to the original file.
I don't understand your point. Why would I use +xyz offset when I know that the offset of my drive is +102? There is no reason to try any other value since the correct value is known and will give the best result for this particular drive on all rips. AFAIK that's the whole point of having a database of CD drive read offsets.

Reply #19
I don't understand your point. Why would I use +xyz offset when I know that the offset of my drive is +102?
To get an AR hit. Wasn't that the purpose?

There is no reason to try any other value since the correct value is known and will give the best result for this particular drive on all rips.
So if your pressing is not in the database, but some other pressing is - then you say that the "best result" is to avoid verifying it and posting on HA on why you refuse?

AFAIK that's the whole point of having a database of CD drive read offsets.
That is the old and insufficient way. Offset correction was implemented before one realized the need for cross-pressing verification. The latter came about around 2010 or so.

Reply #20
I think I was a bit unclear in my original statement. I know that there is no universally correct offset; what I mean is that I ripped the disc without any offset correction using abcde, and then I tried to verify it using CUETools on a different computer. CUETools reported CTDB results that my rip was accurate, but AR did not recognise the disc at all, because the offset of my rip was uncorrected.

I've never seen that behaviour before as the AccurateRip ID is based on the discs layout (TOC) so the offset used has no affect. I just ripped a disc with the correct offset (+6) and then again with an incorrect offset of +600 with EAC. Running both images through CUETools produced the same output, except obviously the offsets were different in the AccurateRip results.
The correct rip produced
[AccurateRip ID: 0011590f-008dc7c1-9b0dcc0b] found.
Track   [  CRC   |   V2   ] Status
 01     [74a308c0|f823650c] (200+200/404) Accurately ripped
 02     [22770025|b6ebba80] (200+200/404) Accurately ripped
 03     [23a8ac4f|1b4f4b30] (200+200/404) Accurately ripped

Whilst the incorrect offset produced:
[AccurateRip ID: 0011590f-008dc7c1-9b0dcc0b] found.
Track   [  CRC   |   V2   ] Status
 01     [4a5640cb|d2115bf7] (000+000/404) No match
 02     [d9d496d2|c5b4c939] (000+000/404) No match
 03     [f5363be8|dae8b933] (000+000/404) No match
Offsetted by -594:
 01     [74a308c0] (200/404) Accurately ripped
 02     [22770025] (200/404) Accurately ripped
 03     [23a8ac4f] (200/404) Accurately ripped

-594 being the difference in the offset used (600) and the drives actual offset (6).

To emulate without the need for ripping, just verify an image in CUETools then modify the offset in CUETools and verify again and you should see that the AccurateRip ID is the same and the same results are produced (under different offsets).
I don't know if abcde has anything to do with this odd behaviour?

I used CUETools to apply the +102 offset and to split the giant FLAC file into individual tracks, at which point CUETools warned me that I would be deleting 102 samples, as expected. Now when I verify the WAV files I split, both CTDB and AR report that my rip is accurate, because AR can only verify a rip that has offset correction.
As stated above that's not the case, but did the verify passes (pre and post offset correction) produce different AccurateRip ID's?

Nowhere in the CUETools results did it tell me that I needed to apply an offset of +102 to account for the read offset of my CD drive. Yes, CUETools suggests alternative offsets in the results, but it doesn't say which offset is correct for my particular CD drive.
CUETools doesn't attempt to tell you how to fix your rip given your particular cd drive and your particular disc because that's impossible! How would it know what drive was used to rip the disc and if an offset was used, and how does it know exactly what disc was ripped. I guess if a log existed it could try and parse that, but that would be messy, and would it have to produce a corrected log alongside the fixed files.

I had to look up my drive model in the AR database to get the +102 number that I needed. That's what I meant about "not trusting" the CUETools results.
Alternatively just open CUERipper, as that will show you the correct offset.
So it sounds more like a misunderstanding of what CUETools is telling you, as the results can absolutely be trusted - unless of course you've seen mention somewhere that it does tell you what offset to apply to fix the rip for your particular cd drive and cd pressing?

In order to properly verify a rip, you must account for your drive's read offset, and CUETools can't tell you what it is when you ripped the CD on a different computer. The AR database of drive offsets can.
In the above sentence, if you'd said instead "In order to properly correct a rip" then I'd agree 100%, but verification is different from correction. It IS verifying that your rip is or is not accurate.

It sounds like we just have a different understanding of "verify" :-)

Reply #21
AFAIK that's the whole point of having a database of CD drive read offsets.
That is the old and insufficient way. Offset correction was implemented before one realized the need for cross-pressing verification. The latter came about around 2010 or so.
I don't understand this either. Are you saying that there's an alternative to setting your drives offset?

Reply #22
Are you saying that there's an alternative to setting your drives offset?
Essentially yes, but I don't recommend it - it would be at odds with how EAC/dBpoweramp & friends work.

But here we had to do with an already ripped image. Well we had to do with a malware-infested CD that, to be safe, was ripped on Linux - and because the user did not set offset upon ripping (though it is possible), then what to do? Get an AccurateRip verification.
Which could be against the same pressing or against some other pressing.

But here is the point: of two CDs contain the same audio, but different offsets, nothing says that yours is the "correct" one. (I'm not sure if there even exist CD writers with an offset of zero.)

Reply #23
But here is the point: of two CDs contain the same audio, but different offsets, nothing says that yours is the "correct" one. (I'm not sure if there even exist CD writers with an offset of zero.)

So we're really just talking about the offsets introduced by the writers to create the CD masters here, and your definition of "more correct" is simply the one that was produced by the writer with the smallest offset (that we can't know)?

Given we're not talking about the audio content itself here (as that's the same on all pressings), the fact that the OP knows his drive offset is 102 (to a standard which I appreciate was debated some time ago to actually be 30 samples out) then it's definitely more correct to fix his rip with 102, as we're ripping a disc, not the original pre-mastered content.

Reply #24
But if your particular pressing is not in AccurateRip, do you want an AccurateRip check or do you not?
I do. I surely rip with offset correction, but a substantial part of my CD rips failed AccurateRip when they were ripped - in the age before cross-pressing verification.

(Offset correction as per the drive could have been done in the cdparanoia config file.)