Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can't add music to Library (0.9.6 Final) (Read 13690 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't add music to Library (0.9.6 Final)

First, sorry for my bad English 
Second, the problem here:
I have a folder like this:

How to fix it?

Reply #1
In the album list that shows you media library, could you use the 'view' box to filter by folder structure and see what you find?

terry

EDIT: sorry, I did not see that this is a change for you when moving from .95 to .96. My suggestion may be of little help.

Reply #2
0.9.5.6: After I add folder "Amon Amarth", I go to Library > Search > key word is 'amon amarth'. All album in AA folder showed.

0.9.6: FATE OF NORNS, THE CRUSER, ONCE SENT FROM THE GOLDEN HALL don't show when I search

P/s: I used '%path% PRESENT' in search, but it take no change

Reply #3
Maybe because you dow^H^H^Hripped those with a cuesheet and foobar2000 now excludes *.CUE by default both in "Preferences > General > Adding new files: Exclude file types" and "Preferences > Media Library > File Types: Exclude"?
(If yes, it's in the 0.9.6 Release Notes, btw.)
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #4
I have only mp3 file...

Reply #5
0.9.5.6: After I add folder "Amon Amarth", I go to Library > Search > key word is 'amon amarth'. All album in AA folder showed.

0.9.6: FATE OF NORNS, THE CRUSER, ONCE SENT FROM THE GOLDEN HALL don't show when I search

P/s: I used '%path% PRESENT' in search, but it take no change

what are the differences between the files/folders that are added and the ones that are not?

Reply #6
It would be nice to know if the missing folders or files inside them don't have hidden or system attribute set. Or if removing & readding the folder in ML Preferences won't help.

Reply #7
I have exactly the same problem. Since I use foobar 0.9.6 I'm missing about 3,500 of my 22.000 files. They are not hidden, nor system files and I can't find any differences between those files and the other ones.

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium.

Does anyone have an idea, what causes this problem.

I also lost some of my ratings, when I installed a beta of 0.9.6 some time ago. Fortunately I had a backup of my files.

Reply #8
Same here, I can't add some of my files to Media Library... I'm using Vista Ultimate and foobar2000 0.9.6

Reply #9
I got same problem. It misses a few whole albums when scanning and adding to library.

Reply #10
It doesn't really help to report problems unless you guys can be more detailed.

Here's a checklist of known causes:
  • Are your files or folders they reside in marked as hidden or marked as system files?
  • Are your files referenced by an external cuesheet?
  • Are your files residing on a NAS or a linux server and shared by samba?
  • Have you accidentally excluded any filetypes in the Library preferences?
  • Are any files on an external drive who's drive letter may have changed?
Doublecheck, and if you answer "no" to all of these, then you need to provide as many details as you can. If there is a problem, it was obviously one that alpha testers neglected to test for and one that beta testers couldn't find, either. So the more details the better.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #11
  • Are your files or folders they reside in marked as hidden or marked as system files? No
  • Are your files referenced by an external cuesheet? No
  • Are your files residing on a NAS or a linux server and shared by samba? No
  • Have you accidentally excluded any filetypes in the Library preferences? No
  • Are any files on an external drive who's drive letter may have changed? No

More details :

- Winxp Sp3 - C2D 3,6 ghz - 2 go DDR II - Maxtor 750 go Sata II
- Foobar 9.6 installed by default in C:\Program files\Foobar2000
- Music stored on F:\Musique (and in folders like [electro] - [rock] - [D'n'B])
- Foobar 9.6 scans well, but missing at least 10 folders and 50 subfolders for any reason.
- Tryed both on a fresh XP install.

Reply #12
I'm not sure but I think that I also have some albums missing. Is there an automatic way I could verify it? Or do I have to compare almost 2400 folders with the albums in foobar?

Reply #13
Is there an automatic way I could verify it?

Not directly (AFAIK). But you could use foo_texttools to export a list of filenames (with "%path%") in your library by adding album list's "All music" node to a playlist. Then compare this list to a similar list generated by your favourite scripting language (e.g. Perl) from your harddisk folder.

Edit: added AFAIK

Reply #14
I had the same problem just now with fb 9.6.

Only the first song of an album had been shown in Library. Retagging and moving the album out and in again didn't help.

I had to change the filenames, then the album was in the library again.

Reply #15
I'm not sure but I think that I also have some albums missing. Is there an automatic way I could verify it? Or do I have to compare almost 2400 folders with the albums in foobar?

In Windows Explorer perform a search on your media library folder(s) specifying the appropriate file extensions (e.g. MP3 and whatever other formats your music is encoded in). This will give you a list of files. Compare the number of files returned (given in the status bar) with the number of files displayed by foobar. If they are equal no problem!

Reply #16
Retagging and moving the album out and in again didn't help. I had to change the filenames, then the album was in the library again.
Can you please remember how exactly had the filename looked before and what did you rename it to?

Reply #17
Retagging and moving the album out and in again didn't help. I had to change the filenames, then the album was in the library again.
Can you please remember how exactly had the filename looked before and what did you rename it to?

Yes I can, I tell you all what I was doing.

First I thought it was because of deleting the ID3v1 tags (I only kept the ID3v2.4) just one day before, so I rewrite them with fb and ID3v1 but it didn't help. Also all kind of moving in and moving out, retagging with fb and Mp3tag with and without ID3v1 didn't work. I also tried deleting all tags and rewriting them,but nothing.

So the last thing I tried was renaming. I changed, eg. 02 - Das Bierbeben - %title% to 02 - %title% and the album just appears in the Media Library. But I don't remember if I did it outside or inside the monitoring folder.
After that I rename the album to the old style and everything was ok again.

Reply #18

• Are your files or folders they reside in marked as hidden or marked as system files? No
  • Are your files referenced by an external cuesheet? No
  • Are your files residing on a NAS or a linux server and shared by samba? No
  • Have you accidentally excluded any filetypes in the Library preferences? No
  • Are any files on an external drive who's drive letter may have changed? No

More details :

- Winxp Sp3 - C2D 3,6 ghz - 2 go DDR II - Maxtor 750 go Sata II
- Foobar 9.6 installed by default in C:\Program files\Foobar2000
- Music stored on F:\Musique (and in folders like [electro] - [rock] - [D'n'B])
- Foobar 9.6 scans well, but missing at least 10 folders and 50 subfolders for any reason.
- Tryed both on a fresh XP install.

What are the paths\fimenames of the missing files? The more the merrier.

Use [ codebox] [/codebox ] tags if you could.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #19
Ok, i reinstalled Foobar 9.6 with the portable mod.

After tested the media library, folders still missing. I noticed that all my songs and folders were in "read only" mod.

So i tested the "cmd" "attrib -r /S" (or something else :x) found on the forum, and now all my folders are recognized by foobar 9.6. Pretty cool .

BTW, the windows xp shell folder option "play all" still doesn't work. But it's not very important.

Reply #20

After tested the media library, folders still missing. I noticed that all my songs and folders were in "read only" mod.

So i tested the "cmd" "attrib -r /S" (or something else :x) found on the forum, and now all my folders are recognized by foobar 9.6. Pretty cool .
So in otherwords, you should have said yes to the first known cause I listed.

BTW, the windows xp shell folder option "play all" still doesn't work. But it's not very important.
This is because you reinstalled in portable mode.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #21
Read-only attribute isn't relevant in the first place, though removing it "touched" the files and made fb2k re-try parsing them. The same thing should be accomplished by removing and readding the folder in ML preferences - for the record, did you try that before?

Reply #22
This is because you reinstalled in portable mode.

No, it happened after my first attempt using foobar 9.6 (normal installation), on a fresh windows XP installation. When i click on "play all" i can hear a ~tick~ windows XP sound and nothing happens.

Read-only attribute isn't relevant in the first place, though removing it "touched" the files and made fb2k re-try parsing them. The same thing should be accomplished by removing and readding the folder in ML preferences - for the record, did you try that before?

I tried it before yes, but nothing changed. Maybe a problem with indexing folders features of winXP ? dunno... the only thing i know is that it works since i change the attributs of folders, using cmd.

(sorry for my english :x)

Reply #23

Can you be more specific ? What is the exact command ? I want to try if it works.