Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: YouTube is testing 4k60fps, but what about lossless audio streaming? (Read 5727 times) previous topic - next topic

YouTube is testing 4k60fps, but what about lossless audio streaming?

Hi folks,

currently YouTube is testing 4k60fps, but what about lossless audio streaming?

I would love to start recording next month and upload my stuff on youtube and have it streamable there in best quality, particularly regarding audio quality;
so the aim really is to use Youtube as an archive.

My preferences:
Video track: 1080p24fps
Audio track: FLAC

I've done some research and based on that I have the impression that best for me would be to use
an ogg container containing any video file format and FLAC, but can YouTube deal with it, so that
uploading such an ogg container works and the resulting stream for the audience has FLAC as an audio track?

If not, what alternative ways you suggest me to place videos with lossless audio track on YouTube?

Reply #1
To my knowledge, YouTube doesn't provide lossless audio streams at all -- an A/V file uploaded to YouTube will be transcoded to several quality options, but all of the possible audio formats are lossy.

Reply #2
My understanding is the higher res your video, the higher audio bit rate is used. So even if you're just uploading a blank background, still or album art while a song plays, if you use 1080 it will allow the highest bitrate for audio.

Reply #3
My understanding is the higher res your video, the higher audio bit rate is used. So even if you're just uploading a blank background, still or album art while a song plays, if you use 1080 it will allow the highest bitrate for audio.
I haven't checked myself, but I read somewhere that this is no longer true. I don't have any more details.

I also read that there used to be a limit whereby a low bitrate HD video wouldn't be treated as HD. From my own use, that limit must be quite low now, if it exists at all.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #4
I believe even the new DASH 480p quality setting (fmt135, not the old fmt35 one) uses the "highest" audio quality now.

Highest referring to relative comparison among YouTube quality settings, of course.