Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Do any software CD players support "index"? (Read 3046 times) previous topic - next topic

Do any software CD players support "index"?

Do any software-based CD players support indexed tracks? I've got a fairly old Sony CD player that supports indexing (sections within a track) and a couple of classical CDs that make use of this feature. I'm just curious really. It's not anything that I need.

Reply #1
J.S. Bach, Goldberg Variations, BWV 988
Glenn Gould, 1982
CBS Masterworks CD 37779
51'18''
1 Track, 32 Indexes

Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #2
Do any software-based CD players support indexed tracks?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=340903"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've been looking for the samt but have not found any. My solution is to rip indexed tracks as seperate tracks in EAC and manually give them the track numbers with the following "template":

010 - Track 1
020 - Track 2, index 1
021 - Track 2, index 2
022 - Track 2, index 3

...and so on.

Reply #3
@Emanuel

I suppose that what you mean is that you create new "fake" tracks, by changing the INDEX02 to INDEX01 in the cuesheet and using as the title "Original title, Index 1", etc..

If this is what you mean, well that's exactly the same that I do.

Anyway I've also asked myself *WHY* no software CD player that I know of supports indexes. I'm not an expert but I suppose that can be because to do that the player would need to continuously scan subcodes for Index changes while to play a track it just need to tell the drive to seek to a particular INDEX01, start playing and then just get the resulting stream of data.

Sergio

EDIT: Sorry, I've just re-read and seen that you rip to separate tracks, not to an image+cue. How do you split them, then?
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #4
EDIT: Sorry, I've just re-read and seen that you rip to separate tracks, not to an image+cue. How do you split them, then?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No worries. EAC has a feature for that: "Action > Copy Selected Tracks Index-based".

As a sidenote:
Apart from missing a good index-aware software player, I find this method excellent for portable devices. It makes it ease to skip between the "indexes", and for example with a [a href="http://www.rockbox.org/]Rockbox[/url]-enabled device you won't hear the gap between the tracks (the original indexes). It will sound as it was originally intended.

EDIT: Or you can just burn the tracks back down to a new cd for playback in a non index-aware cd-player, but still be able to use skip.