Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Re-laming to tag (Read 3812 times) previous topic - next topic

Re-laming to tag

I've lame'd a bunch of WAV to MP3 over time with no  regard to tagging.  Started thinking the
tags would come in handy now, and I know the proper flags to use with lame now.  But
if I actually run lame on an mp3 to create a new mp3 with tags -- is it possible I'll throw
away any more fidelity?  Am I using the wrong tool to tag?

I'm on Linux, BTW (Fedora).

Re-laming to tag

Reply #1
You don't want (or need) to do it that way. There are tools just for adding/changing tags. I don't personally know any Linux-specific tools, but wine+MP3Tag has worked well for me.
Kittens give Morbo gas.

Re-laming to tag

Reply #2
is it possible I'll throw away any more fidelity?
It's a certainty that you'll throw away more fidelity.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Transcoding

Re-laming to tag

Reply #3
No need to re-encode, causes extra loss anyway. Just have a look here http://easytag.sourceforge.net/ it's an easy way to change/add tags to existing mp3's causing no extra losses and it works on Linux
Stpuid questions do not exist.

Re-laming to tag

Reply #4
I second Easytag.

Re-laming to tag

Reply #5
thanks everyone, felt stupid for asking, but now that i know i would lose more bits, i'm glad i asked.
easytag yum'd right down, so i'll give it a try!

Re-laming to tag

Reply #6
Stupid questions do not exist, only stupid answers!
Stpuid questions do not exist.

Re-laming to tag

Reply #7
I second Easytag.

Latest stable is very old, and dev is 2008. I mean, if it works, it works, but seeing how foobar2000 keeps updating the tagging code, it makes me nervous.

I recommend foobar2000 with the tagging component.

Re-laming to tag

Reply #8
The TC asked for a tagging option under Linux, and foobar2000 is only available for Windows.

Re-laming to tag

Reply #9
It works undet WInE just fine.

Re-laming to tag

Reply #11
Thanks, easytag is working fine, though i'd rather just run some commandlines which are a bit easier
to build up quickly.  I'll look at puddletag as well.

I don't mess with Wine much though it has helped me occasionally.