Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WINABX Help..only uses WAV? (Read 1755 times) previous topic - next topic

WINABX Help..only uses WAV?

I am in the process of converting(reripping) my audio library from WMA to lame MP3.
However I wanted to do some ABX testing to see how much of a difference I could hear.
I downloaded WINABX..But it only allows me to compare WAV files. Do I have to decompress a given WMA and MP3 to WAV to compare the two? If so what is the best way of doing so? Is their any ABX programs that directly compare the two formats so I dont have decompress them; I tried the Foobar2K foo_abx but it dosent seem to support WMA's. Thanks for any assistance.

WINABX Help..only uses WAV?

Reply #1
Yes, WinABX can only compare wav files. I don't use WMA, hence I don't know which is the best way to convert WMA files to wav.

Anyway, it's not advisable to convert already compressed files in a lossy format to another lossy format, because it will decrease quality for sure. It's called transcoding, and decreases quality because lossy compression algorithms don't work well if the source is already compressed in a lossy way.

If you don't need your files to be in MP3 for compatibility reasons, better leave them at WMA. If you need MP3, better get the original uncompressed music and convert it to MP3.