Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: BASSMIDI MIDI synthesiser for Windows XP/Vista/7 (Read 316173 times) previous topic - next topic

BASSMIDI MIDI synthesiser for Windows XP/Vista/7

Reply #350
Thank you [JAZ], that was easy enough. I don't understand what the problem is/was either. The only file missing from $WINDIR\System32\bassmididrv\ was bassmididrvuninstall.exe.

BASSMIDI MIDI synthesiser for Windows XP/Vista/7

Reply #351
I am porting an app to Windows 10 that uses the old winmm midi calls. It works fine as is with the Bassmidi driver.

At some point however, I wish to incorporate or migrate to the new Windows Universal midi facilities. So I began testing
and evaluating the Windows Universal - MIDI Sample app as it appears to be a good starting point.

Unfortunately the Windows Universal - MIDI Sample app does not recognize BassMidi as being an available midi out device
on my system, in spite of the fact that it is installed and is visible and works fine when the old winmm midi calls are used.

Is there something I need to do to get Bassmidi to be recognized by the Windows Universal midi facilities?

Re: BASSMIDI MIDI synthesiser for Windows XP/Vista/7

Reply #353
I'm not really well equipped to fix Windows 10 issues at this time, since I don't run Windows 10 on my development VPS. It currently runs Windows Server 2012 R2.

I have two Windows 10 machines at home, my previous desktop, and the Boot Camp partition on my iMac, but neither of them has Visual Studio installed.

Reply #354
I run Windows 10 (1511, 64-bit) and haven't had any issues with the BASSMIDI driver.

edit - this applies to the latest update, as well.
¡Se habla español! Also available in purple and orange.

Reply #355
Try the latest update.

Reply #356
I have the most recent version of the BassMidi driver installed.

Tried compiling the Windows Universal - MIDI Sample app using both the x86 (24 bit) & x64 (64 bit) options. Both had the same problem (they did not see or discover the BassMidi device).

BTW (kode54): If you are able to pursue this at some time, Visual Studio 2015 Community edition is free & includes C++ as well as the .Net languages . The Windows Universal Samples can be downloaded from GitHub.

Re the issues reported at VOGONS: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=470689#p470689:
I have noticed some drop outs with large Sound Fonts periodically. Smaller sound fonts may crackle once or twice a minute for half a second or so (basically not noticeable) but perform pretty well.

Reply #357
I've tried to use VST MIDI Driver. I've installed it, choosed Yamaha S-YXG50 VST, set VST MIDI Synth (Port A) as a default MIDI Synth. After it I had tried to listen MIDI file using the WMP from the Windows 7 x64. It works, but when I'm closing WMP, the vsthost32.exe and wmplayer.exe don't close. The window of the WMP disappears, but the process does not terminate. So, after playing 10 different midi files I have 10 ghost vsthost32.exe and wmplayer.exe processes. When I use default Microsoft MIDI synth, the problem disappears. Anyone else have this problem?

UPD. I'm creating a new patch for the Yamaha S-YXG50 VSTi, the current version is here: http://veg.by/files/midisynth/yamaha_syxg50_vsti.7z
This version is portable and doesn't need to be installed. Just extract syxg50.dll and that is all. If this VSTi does something wrong, I can try to fix it, but I have know what is wrong :)

Reply #358
Some suggestions about the VST MIDI Driver:
— Add an option to display the icon of the vsthost in the system tray. The driver can just add some command line argument when running vsthost (e.g. --showicon). Double click on this icon have to open vst editor of the current instance. Icon can be default vsthost icon or even the first 16×16 icon from the loaded VSTi.
— Change the description of the vsthost. Now it says that it is a component of the foo_midi :)

Also it displays two ports (Port A and Port B) for the Yamaha S-YXG50 VSTi. Why is there two ports and what is the difference between them? It means that syxg50.dll reports that it have two input ports?

Reply #359
I need to fix the VST driver. For now, it needs manual killing of the host.

Reply #360
It would be very nice to have this bug fixed. I'm planning to include a recommendation to use foo_midi and VST MIDI driver for installing portable version of the S-YXG50.

Reply #361
I have released my patch for the Yamaha S-YXG50 VSTi. Probably, someone will be interested in it.
http://veg.by/en/projects/syxg50/
It is a perfect synth for the XG MIDI. It seems that soundfonts can't emulate all features of the XG. :)

Reply #362
Thanks! I've uninstalled the original version and now i'm using your portable version. It works perfectly with Foobar and the VST MIDI Driver too. Btw, I never noticed an issue with the latter, so i'm not sure why you do not recommend it on your site. What kinda bug does it have?

Reply #364
Hi Veg, i'm not using windows media player, but vanbasco karaoke player and an old version of cakewalk. I've never noticed hanging vsthost processes, but i'll verify it next time and let you know.

Reply #365
Try it again with the latest version?

Reply #366
Try it again with the latest version?
Thank. It seems that it works fine now. It works fine with the Windows Media Player, but for some reason Media Player Classic uses Microsoft's MIDI synth, and I haven't found any settings according it in the MPC. Is it ok? :)

Reply #367
You'll either have to use the 32 bit version of Media Player Classic, or you'll have to wait until I bother to amend the VST driver installer script to bundle the 64 bit version of the user space driver. Currently, while it does support both 32 and 64 bit VST instruments, the driver itself is only 32 bit, and only works in 32 bit applications.

Reply #368
Oh, I understand. Thanks for the explanation.

Reply #369
It seems that foo_midi saves settings of used VST, but for some reason these settings aren't using for playback. I mean if you open VST settings again, you will see your previous configuration, but they don't affect playback at all.

How to reproduce:
1. You can use this VSTi as an example: http://veg.by/en/projects/syxg50/
2. Open S-YXG50 VSTi configuration, press setup, change volume, disable effects.
3. Apply settings in VSTi, apply settings in foobar2000.
4. Play any MIDI file. You will hear that playback uses defaults.
5. But even when you restart foobar2000, you can open VSTi settings, and you will see your values, not defaults.

So, settings are saved, but they are not used for some reason. When I'm changing these settings in other host, for example, Savihost, they work as expected.

Also some users complained that VST MIDI Driver has similar problem.

I'm planning to add an ability to change defaults also (using ini-file), so the problem will be fixed, but maybe it is not very hard to fix this problem in foo_midi and VST MIDI Driver.

Reply #370
That bug was supposed to be fixed by version 1.252. The latest is version 1.255. Are you sure you're up to date?

Reply #371
kode54, I'm sorry, my bad. 1.254 from the foobar2000.org fixes the problem with foo_midi.

Reply #372
Thank. It seems that it works fine now. It works fine with the Windows Media Player, but for some reason Media Player Classic uses Microsoft's MIDI synth, and I haven't found any settings according it in the MPC. Is it ok? :)
Have you tried this and/or this for MPC?

Reply #373
I'm just curious which sample rate is used by the VST MIDI Driver? Yamaha S-YXG50 VSTi supports only 44100 and 48000, for example. And it would be nice to know which sample rate is used.

Reply #374
Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I seem to have a duplicate set of ports A and B, and the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth is now missing. Not sure how this happened.