Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to separate one track into two? (Read 5214 times) previous topic - next topic

How to separate one track into two?

Hello, I am new here.

I have a file that contains 2 songs and I want to separate them. How can I do it?

And where can I learn about this technical audio stuff that people talk in the forums?

Reply #1
I can think of one piece of information that is conspicuous by its absence and is essential for people to be able to help: What kind of file? That is, what is its format? WAV, MP3, M4A/AAC, something else?

As for definitions, learning, etc.: Hydrogenaudio has a wiki, Wikipedia will have articles on lots of topics, and you might want to search for a general primer on Google with a query such as introduction to digital audio or similar. If this does not seem specific enough, then once again, without you providing any specificity, it is effectively impossible to provide an answer with any of its own.

Reply #2
Sorry, I forgot to say which kind of file. It is FLAC.

Reply #4
Of course FLAC, since you are writing to the FLAC forum...
I asked because it was originally posted in General Audio, then I moved it here once that was answered

In summary, you will have to de- and re-encode; this is normal, does not affect quality at all, and can be made very easy using various utilities. (Definitely do not use Medieval Cue Splitter, in any case: it basically breaks files when splitting.)

Reply #5
I asked because it was originally posted in General Audio, then I moved it here once that was answered

Ah, thanks. I totally missed what's going on. 

Reply #6
And where can I learn about this technical audio stuff that people talk in the forums?

http://www.xiph.org/video/vid1.shtml by Monty of xiph.org is pretty helpful for some basics of digital audio.

I can also recommend Matt Mayfield's (youtube user LoudnessWar) audio fundamentals course:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF323DDC21E6DC960
Note that Youtube sound is a bit poor on low resolution video, but better on higher resolution.

Wikipedia and the Wiki/Knowledgebase here are helpful and mostly provide enough linked terms for interesting background reading.

In times past I learned quite a lot from reading the cooledit96 shareware help files, though I found it on oldversion.com or something and the help doesn't work under Windows7, it seems.

The other idea is to search a Wiki when you find a term you don't know on the forums and that will often lead you into learning.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #7
Hello, I am new here.

I have a file that contains 2 songs and I want to separate them. How can I do it?

I didn't see an answer for your first question so this might be helpful:

Decode the flac file to wav, open it in a wave editor like Cool Edit Pro, select the first song, save this part using "save selection as" and do the same with the second song.

You end up with 2 files which you can (of course) encode back to flac.