Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to Rip CD+Graphics (CD+G)? (Read 1333 times) previous topic - next topic

How to Rip CD+Graphics (CD+G)?

I've recently acquired a disc with CD+G (Fleetwood Mac - Behind the Mask).
It's my first CD+G disc I've encountered, and I've ripped the audio parts with EAC as usual.

But I'm figuring out how to rip the CD+G part?

I did a search on the forum and the only relevant thread seemed to be from 18 years ago:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,31995.0.html

I did a search on Google, and I've come across various CD+G rippers, such as Audiograbber, CDG Ripper, Power SCDG Ripper, Power CD+G Burner, etc.

What do you think of these rippers? I believe Audiograbber is the only free software, the others have a trial period.

Re: How to Rip CD+Graphics (CD+G)?

Reply #1
I have a CSN "Live it Up" that's a CD+G.

Supposedly you could use VLC to play and save (image) them as a BIN file.
EZ CD Audio Converter

Reply #2
Any CD copying tool that can read subchannel data can copy a CD+G disc, but the error correction on subchannel data is extremely flimsy, so you're a lot more likely to get a bad rip if your disc is scratched. (CD+G discs are usually designed with this in mind, so your rip will probably work fine as long as you're not planning on burning it back to a CD.)

If you use a ripper that wasn't specifically designed for CD+G, you'll probably need a second step where you extract the cdg file(s) from your disc image rather than directly ripping the cdg file(s).

Once you have the CD+G data separated from the audio, you can put it into any program that uses libavcodec.

Reply #3
...DiscImageCreator *may* help...
Hybrid Multimedia Production Suite will be a platform-indipendent open source suite for advanced audio/video contents production.
Official git: https://forart.it/HyMPS/

Reply #4
As I understand it subchannel doesn't benefit from CIRC (not an expert, not enough time to fully decipher), but the red book spec does state that R-W has weak reed-solomon protection of its own (second edition 19.1):
To protect the data in the subcoding channels R to W, a (24, 20) Reed-Solomon error
correction code is used. To improve the burst error correction capability, 8 times interleaving is
added to this error-correction system.

And also crc16 for detection. Both weak but much better than nothing, at the very least it should be unlikely that a bad rip is undetectable as a bad rip.