Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: lossyWAV 1.3.0 Delphi to C++ Translation Thread (Read 160385 times) previous topic - next topic

lossyWAV 1.3.0 Delphi to C++ Translation Thread

Reply #175
Code: [Select]
%lossyWAV Error%: lossyWAV beta version has reached expiry date.

*wink*
*wink*

Will double check in the morning with a view to release of version 1.4.0.

Apologies again.
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #176
Are you thinking of releasing the source code so that we can compile it anyway we'd like to or/and are you thinking of supplying Linux binaries? Regards.

Reply #177
I will be releasing source.
lossyWAV -q X -a 4 -s h -A --feedback 2 --limit 15848 --scale 0.5 | FLAC -5 -e -p -b 512 -P=4096 -S- (having set foobar to output 24-bit PCM; scaling by 0.5 gives the ANS headroom to work)

Reply #178
I will be releasing source.
That sounds really good. Do have any idea if it will be real soon or maybe you are uncertain of when? Regards

Reply #179
lossyWAV v1.4.0 released, attached to post #1 in this thread along with C++ source.

Reply #180
lossyWAV v1.4.0 released, attached to post #1 in this thread along with C++ source.
Thank you! I will let people over at Arch Linux know about it and hopefully it ends up in their repository. Regards

Reply #181
Thanks a lot, Nick.
Can't wait to test (use) it!

Reply #182
Apparently it has to be ported before it can be used on Linux according to people developing / compiling for Arch Linux. Maybe I deserve a "duh" but I am no programmer 

Reply #183
Apparently it has to be ported before it can be used on Linux according to people developing / compiling for Arch Linux. Maybe I deserve a "duh" but I am no programmer 

…before they will agree to package it. It's usable now, with wine and caudec.

Reply #184
I have a question about lossyWAV, and don't know how it works, but I really like it.
But why does it use 512 size block? can you change the block size, so standard flac no change could use it like 4096?

Reply #185
It's a question of adaptability.  The longer the block size, the fewer the possibilities to reduce the required bits, since the reduction happens at a block level.

In fact, this is one of the reasons why generally it is recommended to use FLAC -5 instead of FLAC -8, because FLAC -8 mostly benefits of using a longer block, but that is counterproductive for lossyWav.

Reply #186
In fact, this is one of the reasons why generally it is recommended to use FLAC -5 instead of FLAC -8, because FLAC -8 mostly benefits of using a longer block, but that is counterproductive for lossyWav.

Although that sounds logical and reasonable, every file I tested (lossyWAV --quality High) was smaller with FLAC -8 compared to FLAC -5. Not very much (only 0.2% ... 0.3%), and of course, FLAC -5 is faster...

Edit: Above numbers resulted from a chart album. I compared that with a jazz album and the difference was even smaller (0.01% benefit for FLAC -8)

Reply #187
Maybe I didn't word it properly.  I mean that it wasn't worth it because, as you saw, the gains were minimum.  (The change of block size is not the only thing that changes from flac -5 to flac -8)

Reply #188

Maybe I didn't word it properly.  I mean that it wasn't worth it because, as you saw, the gains were minimum.  (The change of block size is not the only thing that changes from flac -5 to flac -8)

Your are right, Flac -5 is the best, testing with Flac version 1.3. I have made a test using lossyWAV on a wave. And 5 seems to be the best bet, compared to time and compression.

Code: [Select]
Compression    Speed   Time (in s)  Space        Space (in %)
=============================================================
(Wav)          1x      3432,00      816.195 KB   100%
1            434x         7,91      208.203 KB    26%
2            353x         9,72      181.593 KB    22%
3            371x         9,25      185.208 KB    23%
4            342x        10,05      198.323 KB    24%
5            228x        15,09      177.593 KB    22%
6            195x        17,60      177.591 KB    22%
7             63x        54,30      174.865 KB    21%
8             50x        68,13      174.858 KB    21%
9             50x        68,13      100.000 KB    12%

Actually Flac 4 is worse than 3.

Reply #189
Is it safe to assume that the result for "9" in your table is incorrect, Preuss?

Reply #190
Is it safe to assume that the result for "9" in your table is incorrect, Preuss?

Yes, could not edit, I'm not a developer. But you are Rights, the last line 9 is an error. I had made too many lines in Excel, forgot to delete. Please delete line 9 for me.

So, this tells me, that I don't get much out of 8 than 5.

Reply #191
I apologize if this has been asked before:

Does Nick's combination of "lossyWAV -q X -a 4 --feedback 4| FLAC -8" produce better audio quality than LAME MP3 at 320 kbps?

Reply #192
I apologize if this has been asked before:

Does Nick's combination of "lossyWAV -q X -a 4 --feedback 4| FLAC -8" produce better audio quality than LAME MP3 at 320 kbps?
You should do an ABX test to determine what is best to you since it is lossy/hybrid. I don't think I have successfully ABXed a LossyWAV -q X using latest version 1.4 but to be sure I use higher quality settings. The files I do have successfully ABXed using earlier versions have far less annoying artifacts than some other codecs, in my opinion, since I like noise better than warbling and modulated sounding artifacts. LossyWAV is really an impressive codec!

Reply #193
You should do an ABX test to determine what is best to you since it is lossy/hybrid. I don't think I have successfully ABXed a LossyWAV -q X using latest version 1.4 but to be sure I use higher quality settings. The files I do have successfully ABXed using earlier versions have far less annoying artifacts than some other codecs, in my opinion, since I like noise better than warbling and modulated sounding artifacts. LossyWAV is really an impressive codec!

Thanks - the noise vs artifacts comparison is an interesting way of looking at it.

In other news... I think I may have found a bug in v1.4.0. When I use version v1.3.0 and feed the resulting lossy wav to WMAEncode, it works fine. When I feed the output of lossyWAV 1.4.0 to WMAEncode, I get the error "Unexpected EOF in reading WAV header."

I tried using the --ignorelength parameter with WMAEncode, it didn't make a difference. The only variable that makes a difference is the lossyWAV version number.

I am not using any custom params with lossyWAV, just -q preset.

Reply #194
In other news... I think I may have found a bug in v1.4.0. When I use version v1.3.0 and feed the resulting lossy wav to WMAEncode, it works fine. When I feed the output of lossyWAV 1.4.0 to WMAEncode, I get the error "Unexpected EOF in reading WAV header."

I tried using the --ignorelength parameter with WMAEncode, it didn't make a difference. The only variable that makes a difference is the lossyWAV version number.

I am not using any custom params with lossyWAV, just -q preset.
Please post about this experience in the lossyWAV 1.4.0 Released thread so that Nick.C finds out about it. For now you can use FLAC or some other format and when the WMAEncode situation is solved you can convert them losslessly to WMA, although a little more work than straight to WMA.