Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: TAGS: Is there a tag for embedded cuesheets? (Read 1760 times) previous topic - next topic

TAGS: Is there a tag for embedded cuesheets?

Hello,

I was just wondering wheather there is a tag which indicates if a file contains an embedded cuesheet.

Any help appreciated,

Thanks.

Reply #1
In what sense? Cue-sheets are normally stored as a field named CUESHEET, hence %cuesheet% or $meta(cuesheet). There is no native ‘flag’ field that specifies whether the former is present as that would be totally redundant. You can construct such a flag yourself using $if(%cuesheet%,yes,no) in title-formatting syntax or cuesheet PRESENT in query syntax.

Reply #2
Cue-sheets are normally stored as a field named CUESHEET, hence %cuesheet% or $meta(cuesheet).
No, that is not true, and it doesn't work for embedded CUE sheets.

There is no native ‘flag’ field that specifies whether the former is present as that would be totally redundant. You can construct such a flag yourself using [font= "Courier New"]$if(%cuesheet%,yes,no)[/font] in title-formatting syntax or [font= "Courier New"]cuesheet PRESENT[/font] in query syntax.
That is completely unnecessary, because you don't need to have a dedicated metadata field indicating whether an embedded CUE sheet is present. As per the Title Formatting Reference you can use $info(cue_embedded) or %__cue_embedded% to determine whether the track/file in question has an embedded CUE sheet.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #3
Cue-sheets are normally stored as a field named CUESHEET, hence %cuesheet% or $meta(cuesheet).
It did work this way with WavPack when I used to use that, and APE if I remember correctly. I presume you’re referring to how FLAC stores cuesheets in a separate frame, in which case, I do apologise for making a misleading over-generalisation.

That is completely unnecessary, because you don't need to have a dedicated metadata field indicating whether an embedded CUE sheet is present. As per the Title Formatting Reference you can use $info(cue_embedded) or %__cue_embedded% to determine whether the track/file in question has an embedded CUE sheet.
My example existed specifically to avoid having a dedicated field acting as a flag of presence/absence. However, good point on that $info field, which I had forgotten and did not notice on a scan of the Reference when composing my reply.

Reply #4
It did work this way with WavPack when I used to use that, and APE if I remember correctly. I presume you’re referring to how FLAC stores cuesheets in a separate frame, in which case, I do apologise for making a misleading over-generalisation.
I just tested $meta(cuesheet) across my collection of single file FLACs, FLACs with CUEs and WavPacks with CUEs, and it didn't exist in any of my files. Maybe foobar2000 specifically hides that field from the user, or your files were created with a program which also wrote info to that metadata field.

Sorry for my answer being so sharp, but I'm a bit wary of recommending bad practices (IMHO!) to users.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #5
Maybe foobar2000 specifically hides that field from the user, or your files were created with a program which also wrote info to that metadata field.
Maybe fb2k does hide the field CUESHEET. I can say with full confidence that I used to embed cue-sheets in my files by writing them into the aforementioned field.

My guess would be that cue-sheets are written to the special frame in FLAC and to a normal field named CUESHEET in other formats, but presented via a common interface distinct from normal metadata-editing operations regardless of which method is used to store the data. However, it is also possible that foobar2000 tolerates cue-sheets embedded in the latter way but moves/duplicates them to another type of storage before presenting a list of fields to the user. I would appreciate confirmation from anyone who has the relevant details to hand; I searched a bit, but I didn’t find anything conclusive.

Sorry for my answer being so sharp, but I'm a bit wary of recommending bad practices (IMHO!) to users.
No offence taken; your attitude is correct. All that can happen is that we give more accurate answers and possibly get a better understanding of what’s going on under-the-hood, both of which I welcome.

Reply #6
Thanks for the info.

That got me finally to the solution. Basically I was looking for an automatic method to move my files regardless whether they are individual files or if they single files (with a cue sheet). Thus, I can avoid strange long file names.

This is my result:

Code: [Select]
%album artist%/%album%/$if($stricmp(%__cue_embedded%,yes),[%discnumber%]00 - %album artist% - %album% '('embedded cue sheet')',[$num(%discnumber%,1)]%tracknumber% - %album artist% - %album% - $if($meta(album artist),%artist% - ,)%title%)

Again, thanks!