Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FLAC Stream Decoder Error (Read 48570 times) previous topic - next topic

FLAC Stream Decoder Error

Reply #50
Destroyed beyond repair. Try to .zip it, and you will understand why

Edit: Well at least what you uploaded, contains no audio. But if the problem is that the pathname/filename on the DVD is too long, you might try to copy it using other tools than Windows' own. I use 7-zip's file manager for such -- 7-zip is a tool I nevertheless need, and its file manager allows me access when I have made too long pathnames/filenames for media files (... auto-naming with track title gives such annoyances).

Lucky for you it is a track that can be bought, not one of your own works which will take you weeks to re-record ...

Good ideas. I've just now tried copying the file from DVD using 7-Zip, as well as COPY in DOS. Still no usable file. FYI, the file path is 206 characters deep.

This was a live recording of the rap group Public Enemy playing a free outdoor show in Anacostia Park, Washington DC to celebrate Malcolm X's birthday in May 1989. I received the recording in a tape trade around that time. The sound quality wasn't exactly superb, but it was a rawkus performance, and this may have been the only copy of the recording in existence 

Any other ideas?

FLAC Stream Decoder Error

Reply #51
Still no usable file.

As for my «.zip» hint: I managed to compress the 90 MB .flac file into a 100 kilobyte .zip file (actually, using 7z I got down to 14 kB). Even if you used flac -0 in the first place, then you were probably only ten percent off the actual information content.  And when a simple compression not optimized for audio can get it down to about 1 percent of that, then it means there is no way to save the audio from the file you uploaded, because it simply isn't there.

So whatever you try, when you have saved a copy.flac on your computer -- if you can .zip it down to something small, then you know that there is nothing to repair in the copy.flac file. But if you try to zip the D:\blahblahblah\blahblahblahblah\filename.flac and still get a small file, there is still a tiny chance that the data might still be on the DVD. You might have run over the file system limit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660#File...me_restrictions . And it might -- for all that I know -- be that the data were written in a way not compliant to standard, and therefore Windows refuses to read it even though it is there. Fat chance, but worth a try or two:

- first (easiest): have you tried to open the file on DVD directly in a media player like VLC?
- do you have the software that wrote it? If it wrote something nonstandard, then it might still itself understand what it wrote ...
- try Linux? There are lots of 'rescue' distros around. http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page ? (There is nothing 'magical' about Linux as such in this setting -- rather the idea is that a different file system driver might work in a different way, and 'different' is no worse than 'fruitless'.)

But this is obviously wrong thread ...