Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Pulling MP3 from MP4 video? (Read 5086 times) previous topic - next topic

Pulling MP3 from MP4 video?

There are various browser add-ons that are supposed to extract and save the audio streams from video, or at least there used to be. I've not bothered with it for years, because they rarely worked, and never worked for long.

Is there anything public domain that will pull the audio stream out of MP4 files already on the computer? Something with an actual GUI? My full time job does not give me time to studio audio engineering or learn complex command line scripting, so I can't get elbow-deep into ffmpeg and such.

Please help out if you have the time. Thank you.

Re: Pulling MP3 from MP4 video?

Reply #1
mp4creator will do the job. First list all tracks with -list, identify ID of audio track, then extract it with -extract=<track-id>.
MP4Muxer is GUI for mp4creator.
--------------------

Reply #2
Thank you.

I just found out AVC (Any Video Creator) does this. Will convert to a number of popular music formats. I think this means it's time to pay for the full version!

Reply #3
You can do the same using ffmpeg for free.

Reply #4
Pazera Free Audio Extractor can extract audio from most video's,  and if i recall correctly, it uses ffmpeg

Reply #5
FFmpeg is very easy to use for this. The only command you need to run is:

ffmpeg -i input-video.mp4 -vn -acodec copy output-audio.mp3

Reply #6
Would this work if you provided a link to a youtube vid?

Reply #7
Youtube rarely uses MP3 if they use it at all, even. (I haven't come across MP3 audio in any Youtube video for years and years.)
Op asked for a solution with a GUI, unfortunately I don't know of any. To me it sounds as if Op desires to download audio from things like Youtube videos.

In any event, Youtube doesn't put MP3 into their videos. They use Opus and AAC (MPEG-DASH).
However there are easy ways to get the audio from a Youtube video, using youtube-dl:
Code: [Select]
$ youtube-dl -f bestaudio --extract-audio <youtube-link>
By default, youtube-dl selects the best audio quality anyway, so not specifying -f bestaudio creates the same results.
As I said before, this is rarely if ever an MP3. It usually ends up as an .opus file.

That being said, youtube-dl can convert files into a target format:
Code: [Select]
$ youtube-dl -f bestaudio --extract-audio --audio-format mp3 --audio-quality 0 <youtube-link>
This will use FFmpeg to convert whatever audio into MP3. Personally, I highly advise against that.

Youtube-dl is available here: https://youtube-dl.org

Reply #8
losslesscut

Reply #9
There is a variety of apps which gives you the possibility to convert mp4 to mp3.

Reply #10
There is a variety of apps which gives you the possibility to convert mp4 to mp3.
There is a variety of applications that will transcode - converters usually do - and that was not the question at all.
The question was to extract the stream.

Multimedia container formats have separate video and audio, so you can take out the audio part and save it into a new file without encoding.

Reply #11
There is a variety of applications that will transcode - converters usually do - and that was not the question at all.
The question was to extract the stream.

Multimedia container formats have separate video and audio, so you can take out the audio part and save it into a new file without encoding.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that.

Reply #12
The easy way with a little loss in quality: Convert to whatever you want (wav,  mp3...) with AIMP audio converter.
MKVToolNix : Helps extract the audio as it it is in the video with just few steps.

AIMP is free.
MKVToolNix is open source if i remember well.

Reply #13
Quick add that the user above who was suggesting "converting MP4 to MP3" and was confused about transcoding, was banned for replying with an attempted disguised link to a popular skeezy YouTube ripping site. Apparently those sites forget that yt-dlp exists, or would prefer that people forget that exists, so they can come be exposed to whatever ads they're running to support their remotely hosted solution.

Reply #14
I know this thread is a bit old, but there are a couple programs that do this, but aren't free. However, I think they both have free trial periods.

High Criteria's Total Recorder and NCH Software VideoPad editor.