Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Rip Audio Bonus Tracks from DVD (Read 7803 times) previous topic - next topic

Rip Audio Bonus Tracks from DVD

Hi Everyone -  I'm looking for some advice on how to find and rip hidden audio bonus tracks from a DVD for iPod use.  I purchased a concert DVD, and in the bonus features of the DVD there is a catalog of all the albums the band has released.  You can navigate via DVD player to each album or individual track onscreen.  When you play the track there is a static picture shown on screen while the track plays.  I would like to copy these tracks to my PC and iPod.  However, when I put the DVD in my computer I see only the full video concert tracks, not the audio files for the albums.  To make it more odd, in the root directory of the DVD there are two subdirectories, one called Audio_TS and a second called Video_TS.  All the video files are in the Video_TS directory, but the Audio_TS directory appears empty.  Checking properties of Audio_TS shows 0bytes. I have displayed hidden files, tried five different DVD to Audio rippers, and nothing I have done has been able to locate the audio tracks.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Reply #1
It's because there aren't any audio tracks. They're video files, where the image is the static image you saw and the audio is the music.
If you've already ripped the DVD to your hard drive, all you need at this is software that can separate that audio from the video.
Searching for "VOB demuxer" should get you some good results.

You'll probably end up with one really long track, too, which you'll have to split into smaller files. The way to do it depends on the filetype.

Reply #2
Thanks for your help Andrew.  I've been able to rip the DVD to my PC, and I'm using BGCDemux.  I've been able to separate all the audio from the regular video files, which are divided up into 8 separate VOB files.  It appears that the discography bonus tracks that I'm looking for are in the first file, but PGCDemux doesn't see those tracks, it only finds the audio for the actual video tracks.  I'll keep playing around with it and probably try some other tools. But do you have any more suggestions?

I appreciate your help, I'm much closer now. So many thanks.

Dave

Reply #3
So you've managed to separate the audio then? What format is it in?

Reply #4
Wave files, .dts - but it seems that the tracks I'm looking for aren't in the files I've been able to create so far.  They must be a format that the demuxer doesn't recognize, sound possible?

Reply #5
Not sure what you mean by that. Are you saying you've separated audio from all 8 VOBs and the music you're looking for isn't in there?
Or do you mean you haven't been able to play the DTS files?

Reply #6
I've separated 7 of the 8 audio tracks, and they aren't included in those.  So I'm assuming they are in the one I couldn't separate, but just guessing.  They aren't in any of the 7.  I'm also assuming I'm doing this right, I don't really understand what the Demuxer does, I'm just following prompts for the most part.

Reply #7
Heh, okay. Well basically, VOB is a container. It holds video information and audio information. Demuxing it just takes the audio and/or video files out of the container.

Once you've found your music, you can split them with software like BESplit. (Which can be found on this page).
That's the only software i've ever tried, so i can't recommend any others. It'll work fine as long as you're not afraid of a command line

Reply #8
Thanks Andrew, much appreciated.  Command line is fine, it's the commands that sometimes get me.  You got me pretty far, I know what I want is in there, its just a matter of digging more.  Have a great night, and thanks again!

Dave

Reply #9
No problem, just post again if you need more help

Reply #10
Hi Andrew - Just wanted to let you know that I solved the mystery.  The tracks I was looking for actually don't exist on the DVD, believe it or not.  Very clever what they did.  For what I thought were the  original studio tracks in the bonus section of the DVD, the titles point back to the concert tracks of the DVD movie. As I was listening to one of the songs I realized that it was a bit different than the original studio track, and at the end I could hear the fans start to applaud for a split second before they cut it off.  I couldn't find the studio tracks, because they weren't there to begin with! 

Again, thanks for your help, I learned a lot and it will be helpful next time.  Have a great day!

Dave