Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The Emperor's New Sample Rate (Read 63640 times) previous topic - next topic

The Emperor's New Sample Rate

Reply #25

While the mass cannot generally ABX high-quality mp3s from source -- myself included in the mass -- a very few trusted HA posters (ones tending to be involved in LAME development)  have reported the ability to ABX of the highest-quality lossy encodes on a regular basis.  Don't know whether that's because of HF cut, or some other artifact.

That might be a little exaggerated. I think the few posters you are referring to can regularly ABX select tracks but I suspect that most tracks even they are not able to ABX a high-quality encode.

Don't know about that....perhaps we should both review the HA archive.  My memory is that a very few savants like gurubroolz are so attuned to mp3 artifacts that they CAN often ABX them, even at high CBR or VBR with the best LAME codecs...far more routinely than the average punter.  It would not be surprising if mp3 codec tweakers were blessed/cursed with this talent.  It would be surprising if a typically 40-ish  mp3-denouncing 'audiophile' writing for Stereophile, could truly do the same.

And the ones that they are able to ABX they usually report such things as pre-echo, warbling, sandpaper sounds, things like that. I don't recall any case where they report it as being "less bright" or something similar that would indicate loss of high requencies.

That's why I questioned whether it was due to the HF cut.

Reply #26
the fact that i can hear the highest frequency available on CDs is a bit unsettling. i listen to a wide range of music, for some of which the higher frequencies often mean nothing and for others the higher frequencies are the sugar and spice of the release, including many industrial and noise albums. the fact of the matter is that i have hundreds of CDs in flac format on my harddrive (which costs about 200$) and room to spare. why not go the extra mile here and cover all frequencies audible to even the golden ears.

Reply #27
I don't think you can make that leap. Lots of CD content rolls off above 20kHz, while some encoders keep everything up to about 19kHz, so the loss is tiny. The loss of 22-48kHz is huge in comparison. I'm not saying it's audible - I'm saying your argument is not safe.

Good point, agreed. However, i guess you'd agree that if we had testing-material with significant content up to 22khz, speakers capable of reproducing it, and then ABX it against a 18khz-lowpassed version... that the results then do have some significance? Its no safe proof, right... but in that case, its weight would be significant, no? And its something which is much easier to test than signals >22khz, right?

IIRC there was one individual who could ABX a 19kHz low pass filter. This was back in the r3mix forum days, so you won't find the post on HA.

I think i remember hearing about him a few years ago already. I definatelly do not envy him.

the fact that i can hear the highest frequency available on CDs is a bit unsettling.

I find that statement quite unsettling as well, partially because most playback equipment isn't even capable of reproducing the full 22khz range.

why not go the extra mile here and cover all frequencies audible to even the golden ears.

Perhaps because until today, every single one of those "golden ears" failed to ABX what they can hear "easily". There isn't even one single valid and successfull >22khz DBT - nothing, zero. It is off course not impossible that you are an exception, but i guess you can understand why such stats make people suspicious unless the person can show that placebo can be excluded.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #29
indeed, i took the test on the wrong frequency :P

http://www.rhintek.com/tutorial/Frequency/index.php

Eh, even if that were 22khz, this would tell you NOTHING about your hearing-capabilities, because those are test-tones. One can even engineer sounds so that you can hear even the slightest distortion regardless of your hearing capabilities (udial). So in short, test-tones are an entirely different beast than actual music - or do you listen to test-tones on your mp3-player while on the go? I can hear test-tones up to about 18khz.... but i'd never be able to perceive content that high in actual music. So in short: the true test is actual music, not testtones.

Reply #30

indeed, i took the test on the wrong frequency

http://www.rhintek.com/tutorial/Frequency/index.php

Eh, even if that were 22khz, this would tell you NOTHING about your hearing-capabilities, because those are test-tones. One can even engineer sounds so that you can hear even the slightest distortion regardless of your hearing capabilities (udial). So in short, test-tones are an entirely different beast than actual music - or do you listen to test-tones on your mp3-player while on the go? I can hear test-tones up to about 18khz.... but i'd never be able to perceive content that high in actual music. So in short: the true test is actual music, not testtones.

thanks for the input, but i do listen to drone music which is often a single frequency fluctuating.

Reply #31

This makes sense if you consider that for there to be those who can't hear a difference, they must be conterbalanced by those who can hear a difference.

For instance, for there to be people who have never met aliens, they must be counterbalanced by those who have met aliens?

lol ... sure, and you're a master of logic. Oh, and btw, thanks, when you twist it so, you only really serve to illustrate and prove my point. The flaw with your insult, is there's no 'average' number of people who have 'met' aliens. Can you use a real example that demonstrates a real flaw in my reasoning? Now that shouldn't be so hard for someone who has got it all figured out already, eh?

I'm truly sorry, I guess it's wrong to try to discuss things around here; after all, you already seem to know everything. Oh, and ridicule is such a mature and useful tactic, isn't it?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)

Reply #33
Probably less musical though.

Cheers, Slipstreem. 

Reply #34
First..if you're going to attempt sarcasm, it's best not to display ignorance instead -- it's 'JAES', as I wrote,  which stands for the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society.

Well, apparently since you think it was an attempt at sarcasm, perhaps the attempt was actually completely successful? Oh, and as for the spelling thing, ya I misspelt it, however, you, apparently, still got the point.

Second, Moran posted to this HA thread about the paper which I guess you were unable to call up by searching for 'moran' , like I just did.

Sigh, sorry, but how was I to know which "moran" post was the one that 'you' were talking about? From where I'm from, if you claim something, you should be the one to provide the reference, no?

Third, I misremembered.  In fact, there was no retesting...because no subject achieved a score where p< 0.05, unless levels were jacked up to abnormal levels.  Quoted from the paper (emphasis mine):
Whoops. 

It seems to me that this quote illustrates my point concerning the better than average listeners, no?
Specifically, on music at normal levels as defined here,
audiophiles and/or working recording-studio engineers got
246 correct answers in 467 trials, for 52.7% correct
. Females
got 18 in 48, for 37.5% correct. Those subjects able
to hear tones above 15 kHz got 116 in 256 trials, for 45.3%
correct; listeners aged 14–25 years old (who were, as it
turned out, the same group), also got 116 correct in 256
trials, 45.3%. The “best” listener score, achieved one
single time, was 8 for 10, still short of the desired 95%
confidence level. There were two 7/10 results. All other
trial totals were worse than 70% correct.

Perhaps you could explain this to me, since, clearly, I don't understand how you can believe that this study 'proves' that no one can hear any better than anyone else. My take on this study seems to be that a 16 bit path in an otherwise higher bit rate process simply produces no statistically significant auditory artifacts in the final product. Did I miss something?

Reply #35

First..if you're going to attempt sarcasm, it's best not to display ignorance instead -- it's 'JAES', as I wrote,  which stands for the Journal of the Audio Engineering Society.

Well, apparently since you think it was an attempt at sarcasm, perhaps the attempt was actually completely successful?

Perhaps you could rethink the logic of that.

Oh, and as for the spelling thing, ya I misspelt it, however, you, apparently, still got the point.

Getting the point, and agreeing that the point is intelligent, aren't the same thing.

Sigh, sorry, but how was I to know which "moran" post was the one that 'you' were talking about? From where I'm from, if you claim something, you should be the one to provide the reference, no?

A search for 'moran' brings up exactly 5 threads, one of which is this one.  The others are:

AES conference London: High Resolution perception paper about listening test    
Double-blind test of SACD and DVD-A vs. Redbook 16/44 in JAES September
SACD Ripping 
Tired of MPC, I just have a question about OGG

Hmm, which one would likely contain input from the author of a paper about SACD vs Redbook that was published in JAES? Gosh, that's a real head-scratcher. 

It seems to me that this quote illustrates my point concerning the better than average listeners, no?

Specifically, on music at normal levels as defined here,
audiophiles and/or working recording-studio engineers got
246 correct answers in 467 trials, for 52.7% correct

One might note that's a performance still no better than chance.

Females
got 18 in 48, for 37.5% correct.
Those subjects able
to hear tones above 15 kHz got 116 in 256 trials, for 45.3%
correct;  listeners aged 14–25 years old (who were, as it
turned out, the same group), also got 116 correct in 256
trials, 45.3%. The “best” listener score, achieved one
single time, was 8 for 10, still short of the desired 95%
confidence level. There were two 7/10 results. All other
trial totals were worse than 70% correct.

Perhaps you could explain this to me, since, clearly, I don't understand how you can believe that this study 'proves' that no one can hear any better than anyone else. My take on this study seems to be that a 16 bit path in an otherwise higher bit rate process simply produces no statistically significant auditory artifacts in the final product. Did I miss something?

Actually it appears you've imagined something, though at this point I wouldn't doubt you're missing something too.  You seem to think that someone here (me?), or in the paper, is saying 'no one can hear any better than anyone else'.  I predict few on HA would be stupid enough to make such an unqualified claim, and I am 100% certain I would never make such a claim.

As for the paper quote above -- you haven't yet read the whole paper, have you? just checking -- yes, it may demonstrate different native discriminative ability (which alas proved irrelevant to detection of difference between SACD and SACD-->Redbook, at normal levels; even the 'best' audio pro couldn't do it better than chance at p < 0.05), but you might note and think about factoring in the different number of trials for each group.  465 for the pros (and I can guess why there'd be more for them, can you?) vs 48, 256 and 256.

Reply #36
thanks for the input, but i do listen to drone music which is often a single frequency fluctuating.

I do so as well, but this is still way more complex and organic than testtones. Not even Coils "Time Machines" is similiar to testtones, although thats probably almost as droney and pure as one can get in the genre.

Reply #37
  I really don't have the time or inclination to separate the wheat from the chaff in this thread.

Sufficing to say: can we please keep it to adult discussion, and not a petty battle of wits?  If needs be I will just remove all offending  posts, whether they contain a morsel of useful input or not.  It would be a shame, as it confuses responses to those points.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #38

I do so as well, but this is still way more complex and organic than testtones. Not even Coils "Time Machines" is similiar to testtones, although thats probably almost as droney and pure as one can get in the genre.
Interesting, that's not a genre I am familiar with. Would you mind posting a (short, even 10s) sample for me to look at? I wasn't aware people listened to test tones for pleasure 

Reply #39

Time Machines owns! however Coil's ANS is much more test tone-y

Reply #40

Interesting, that's not a genre I am familiar with. Would you mind posting a (short, even 10s) sample for me to look at? I wasn't aware people listened to test tones for pleasure  :)

A 10secs sample wouldn't explain much, because it isn't really music in the conventional way, but mood only... and even the word mood may imply something too complex. In short, imagine expressing aurally how it feels being "almost" in narcosis... the state where you're neither unconscious nor conscious... like a blank hypnotised stare - including that slight dizzyness.... thats how time machines sounds like. Expressed simply with rather pure soundwaves which slowly change in modulation.

Coil released a lot of their material - including AFAIK time machines - in extremely low numbers (hundreds, not thousands) on their own label, with intentionally doing no reprint. Filesharing and ebay are quite probably the only ways nowadays to get Time Machines. WP Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Machines

Reply #41
Actually it appears you've imagined something, though at this point I wouldn't doubt you're missing something too.  You seem to think that someone here (me?), or in the paper, is saying 'no one can hear any better than anyone else'.  I predict few on HA would be stupid enough to make such an unqualified claim, and I am 100% certain I would never make such a claim.

Yes, you did, right here: 
If I recall Meyer and Moran's paper correctly, they did retest initial 'high-scorers', who ended up doing no better than chance in multiple tests.

So, were 'high-scorers' able to discern if a 16 bit process was used in an otherwise 32 bit process, or not?

BTW, (and only as a reply to your off-topic ad hominem)

a) When I want to use an example, personally I always try to provide the link rather than make all the readers guess at which page I'm referring too.
b) People don't actually need to completely read the actual paper, in order to add something intelligent, sadly however, the reverse doesn't appear to be necessarily true.
c) Yes, I was indeed being sarcastic, and on more than one occasion!

Reply #42
First off, I am not an expert, however, it seems to me that there may be a 'flaw' in one of the conclusions of this study, if they only look at averages. One conclusion was that no one could tell between the two sample rates, but they don't mention how many particular individuals scored much higher than chance. If there were such individuals, then they, and they alone, would benefit from higher sampling rates. This makes sense if you consider that for there to be those who can't hear a difference, they must be conterbalanced by those who can hear a difference.

That's right. Though the maths would be a bit more complicated in this case. Saying that one people did better than chance doesn't lead to a significant result.

Here's why : there is always a significance threshold above which a result is considered as successful. It is often set at "no more than 5% of probability that it was chance".
It means that in a set of random tests, no more than one out of 20, in average, would pass the test.
In this study, 60 listeners tried. In average, in the case all answers are random, then we should have got three listeners with "no more than 5% of probability that it was chance", in average !

Since this is the standard random result, maths are a bit more complicated. A much higher score is needed in order to really show a significant individual result among many other average ones.
Since the probabilities are small, we can say that the required result would have been around 5/60 = 0.08 % instead of 5%.

But even this result should not be taken as significant, because it can be seen as a post-experiment adjustment in order to fit personal convictions.
That's why when this case occurs, the usual practice is just to have the listener pass another test in order to confirm the result, and not bother with the maths.

Reply #43
It's like having 1000 people flip a coin ten times and having a small percentage getting heads 8 or 9 times out of 10.  This is not beyond the realm of possibility.  If they get heads 8 or 9 times out of 10 a second time around then maybe one can conclude the coin is biased.

In this study, people that got high scores were re-tested and failed.  If they could truly hear a difference then they would have been able to repeat their high scores.

Reply #44
A 10secs sample wouldn't explain much, because it isn't really music in the conventional way, but mood only... and even the word mood may imply something too complex. In short, imagine expressing aurally how it feels being "almost" in narcosis... the state where you're neither unconscious nor conscious... like a blank hypnotised stare - including that slight dizzyness.... thats how time machines sounds like. Expressed simply with rather pure soundwaves which slowly change in modulation.

Coil released a lot of their material - including AFAIK time machines - in extremely low numbers (hundreds, not thousands) on their own label, with intentionally doing no reprint. Filesharing and ebay are quite probably the only ways nowadays to get Time Machines. WP Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Machines

very good description, the Coil drone stuff is more than feeling, it takes you to another place altogether depending on how much attention you're willing to give it. Time Machines was is one of the greatest albums i've heard to date, its very special and is much more than simply music.

if you're looking for a taste, i'd recommend this album http://thresholdhouse.greedbag.com/release...threshold-hous/
it is a very close cousin to time machines.

Reply #45

Yes, you did, right here: 

If I recall Meyer and Moran's paper correctly, they did retest initial 'high-scorers', who ended up doing no better than chance in multiple tests.

What I wrote there certainly is not even close to equivalent to writing 'no one can hear any better than anyone else', and if you can't see that, you're even more obtuse than I thought.  Or you're trolling. 
So, were 'high-scorers' able to discern if a 16 bit process was used in an otherwise 32 bit process, or not?

If you'd read the earlier thread about this, or read the paper, or even read this thread you're on now  more carefully, you'd know the answer.  Which is that the inherent noise floor difference became audible when high system gain was applied in the test...a condition one would expect to highlight such differences...which in this case btw, were between DSD and Redbook, not 32 and 16 bit.

Are you suggesting that any single 16-bit process inserted into an otherwise 32-bit chain should be audible to 'golden ears' at normal levels in a blind test? 

BTW, (and only as a reply to your off-topic ad hominem)

a) When I want to use an example, personally I always try to provide the link rather than make all the readers guess at which page I'm referring too.
b) People don't actually need to completely read the actual paper, in order to add something intelligent, sadly however, the reverse doesn't appear to be necessarily true.
c) Yes, I was indeed being sarcastic, and on more than one occasion!

Go do some reading.  You know where the links are, and you know how to get the paper.  I'm not here to be your special ed teacher.

Reply #46
30 second samples are available on Last.FM.
Time Machines
One of the few pressed CDs of theirs I don't own. 
Creature of habit.

Reply #47
I don't suppose that there are any musicians ‘out there’ willing to record a minute or so of music with 24-bit and 16-bit sample rates, and then present the tracks for us to ABX?  It might be something as simple as playing back a pre-recorded sample (like karaoke background music), and then doing a recording in the two formats.

It would appear to be better to do a live take – but there is no way that a musician(s) could do it exactly the same way twice.  If anyone is interested, I'll offer to host the tracks on my server.  Lemme' know - it might go a long way towards assisting in a resolution to this discussion.

Andrew D.
www.cdnav.com

Reply #48
Why would you want it recorded twice (which introduces another variable) instead of just recording at 24-bit and dithering that version to 16-bit?

Also, what are the chances that mere mortals will have conditions with low enough background noise to make use of 24 bits?

Reply #49
I have to agree with pdq that introducing the variable of a different performance would undermine the ABX process.

However this thread appears to be not just about bit depth, such as three byte words of 24 bits or two byte words of 16 bits.  It is also about sample rate, i.e. 44.1KHz vs a higher sampling rate.

A criticism sometimes raised is that it is unfair to derive a 44.1KHz sample from a higher sample rate rather than record direct from an analogue source. However, using such an 'unfair' derivation method (Audacity software), I was easily able to ABX (with foobar) the sound of a triangle being struck:  see 'An easier exercise!' at post #68 of Listening Tests > Results for 24bit/96KHz test, vs. 16bit/44.1KHz.

An approach to address such criticism is to record one live performance but with two independent ADCs (same make and model), one set for 44.1KHz/24bits and the other for a higher sampling rate (e.g. 96KHz/24bits).  [There would a slight issue of different non-linearities in the ADC process but perhaps the potential significance of that could be assessed through preliminary test recordings with both cards set at the same sample rate.]

Another issue is how filtering is implemented upon playback for different sampling rates and I think that is a variable rather difficult to evaluate the significance of.  The question is: is the difference in played back sound merely a result of minor differences in actual filter implementation [recording and playback], or is it an inescapable result attributable to the use of different sampling rates, regardless of the precise filter implementation?

I would not bother with 24-bit to 16-bit conversion through noise shaped dither, but I would leave the 44.1khz recording intact at 24 bits.  That would facilitate proving that a higher than 44.1KHz sampling rate can of itself make a detectable difference.