Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do you select the target dB value for ReplayGain scanner (Read 1551 times) previous topic - next topic

How do you select the target dB value for ReplayGain scanner

I want to rescan the MP3 files that I have used mp3gain on at 92 dB target to compare.
But all files come out with -3 to -3 dB change after the scan.
So it seems foobar2000 is not using the same target dB value as I did in mp3gain.
Is there a way to change the target dB value in foobar 2000?
Lars-Erik Østerud

Re: How do you select the target dB value for ReplayGain scanner

Reply #1
The algorithm was updated not that long ago. You can scan using version 1.1.5 or older if you wish. There are slight differences, notably the new method gives more weight to bass, and is faster. The target level is always the same "89 dB", but the player gives an option to adjust it on playback in Preferences. This applies to all files. If some have been scanned with another program to a different reference level, you should rescan them with Foobar.

Reply #2
But can you write the new multipiers to the data as with mp3gain (for players that don't support the gain tags)?
I use my files on equipment that don't read the tags. So the way mp3gain does (without changing the sample data) is nice.
Can foobar2000 do the same?  Seems the alorithm in foobar2000 is better that mp3gain (for songs with much bass).
All my pm3 are now levelled to 92 db with mp3gain, so changing to 89 wold meen changing all files... :-/
Lars-Erik Østerud

Reply #3
Yes, you can apply it to MP3 without quality loss.

I have a slightly older version, so the UI may have changed recently. Look around in the settings or in advanced.

In the Preferences there is a page called Tools -> ReplayGain Scanner -> Alter File Content. You can set 92 dB in there. The on-the-fly gain is under Playback, and apparently that is not what you need. Then choose ReplayGain -> Apply x ReplayGain from the context menu (if the option isn't there, place a checkmark in front of it in Preferences -> Display -> Context Menu). The files will be adjusted with approximately 3dB of gain still written to the tags because of the difference. You can then disable or remove ReplayGain if you don't want this further 3dB adjustment.

Reply #4
You can't set the target dB anymore anywhere :-(
Lars-Erik Østerud

Reply #5
In Foobar 1.6 the setting is in a dialog that is brought up when gain is applied with ReplayGain -> Apply gain to file content...

It functions the same. I don't know why you can't see it.

Reply #6
Isn't this method a destructive mode?

Reply #7
For MP3 it changes the gain same as other tools of this type. I made the modification and reversed it by adjusting the target level, and there were no differences in the main body of the track excluding tags.

Reply #8
Thanks!

Reply #9
I don't get this, I just noticed I could not find the Tools -> ReplayGain Scanner -> Alter File Content either in the new version.
Whats up with that??? Like if I scan some files I just see the list of files coming up, nothing with db as far as I can see, I'm just going to try again. But I'm sorta confused.

Dearly regards - Darkijah

Reply #10
In Foobar 1.6 the setting is in a dialog that is brought up when gain is applied with ReplayGain -> Apply gain to file content...

It functions the same. I don't know why you can't see it.

I don't see anything, I'm not even sure why it had to removed from its former place... but anyway... I don't see a thing :/

Oh wait, maybe I first need to push for gain after the Scan Progress, but whats the point with all its numbers calculated if.... I'l have to try I guess and see what happens.

- Darkijah

Reply #11
Okay apparently I found it sorta in the right click menu under ReplayGain, Apply gain to file content yet... not always, and I'm really confused as to how it works.
I could sanely understand the old way of things, but am lost as to how this new thing works.
I tried to remove all the ReplayGain info, and yet still could not see the option, as it was in the other tab I had of files where it was found and got it to run. Applying Gain to File Content is running in one box now.

But... I have ReplayGain Scan Progress running with the former emptied media files, now ReplayGain Scan as that is only option there was, but then what about the db setting or the no cutting of file??? Like the old way you could set that up BEFORE you ran any scan, as it used it to then show your information for correcting the media files to it.
How does it even show the information if it have not been told what kind of db the user wants?...

Like this seems somewhat insane to me. So now you first need to Scan the files one time fixing data, to then do it again to get what you want??? Is this how it works now... running things 2 times in replacement of just running things one time.

Non Clipping needs to be set, and who knows what it is if there is no option to see what the standard is that it is using from beginning - what utter nonsense is this altogether?

Someone tell me straight, and clear that I'm just a nutter and here is how to do it and why.

Maybe I'm just deeply confused...

Reply #12
Do you first need to Scan all files for the result, wait for it to Write the tags ones with whatever settings it itself uses, and then you can find the option for Apply gain to file content to get the settings you want??? Am I missing something????

I don't get it...

-edit-
So I'm now nearly done doing my writing tags for one Tab of media files, I'll see if the option now comes up - what a waste of time. Maybe just better to use an older version of foobar2000 then.
Okay lets see, it is finished, nope.... Its not there with my Audio media file tab. Nothing.... The only thing I can do is remove the Gain information, nothing.... wait... now it came around. Okay.... Well apparently if I use the control a for marking everything it won't show the option for settings...

Something clearly makes it remove it from the options... trying to locate what is doing it, I can mark around 9/10 of all the files and still have the setting option yet something makes it not show up after that if you have it marked.

Seems like marking these FLAC files is the thing that breaks it.... Which also has Gain information so... Why it would break the option to get into the setting seems ridiculous, no wonder one can't find the setting when it is not there and get hidden when apparently mark FLAC... Can someone check that out and confirm? But then why would you not have any settings for what you wanna do with flac files... And really I'm thinking what was wrong with the old way of doing things?

Anyway, it seems it is a FLAC issue, the setting disappears in the menu when any of the flac files is right clicked and looked in replayGain, the option is not there anymore. I have not further tested more flac files, these are from a DVD rip.
So... that seems to be the problem... Although I still do not understand what was wrong with the old method, but at least fix this, as far as I can perceive, it must be a bug, which seems to have been in the latest 1.16.10 and former 1.16.9 versions.