Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mass Format Convert with Overwrite (Read 660 times) previous topic - next topic

Mass Format Convert with Overwrite

Hi All,
Apologies if already asked (i did search alot)

I have selected around 2000 files that i would like to convert from WAV to AIFF and ideally remove the original WAV file from the source location. I have already installed quick convert i believe and althgouh this provides an option for converting (rigth-click files > QuickConvert > select folder > Convert) therein lies the problem that i must specify a folder rather than Foobar just copying the file to the source folder.

Any way around this please?
thanks
F0B!C

Re: Mass Format Convert with Overwrite

Reply #1
Have no idea about quickconvert but the standard converter allows that.

X

It also allows to save presets, therefore you can use it via context menu directly on one step once you have configured it.
Only thing that can not be done is removing the original tracks (although I imagine you work from a playlist, so you can use file operations/delete file on the entire batch after converting).

Reply #2
Thank You Regor... and i just noticed the ... at the bottom of the context menu after looking at your screenshot!
Thats the setting i was looking for Doh!
Cheers

Reply #3
As Regor said, the converter dialog will not remove the original *.wav track;  the "overwrite" only applies if files of the same name AND extension exist in the folder you are asking to convert to.

This ffmpeg.exe command line when run from a folder containing WAV files will convert all the WAV files inside to AIFF files, deleting the source WAV after each successful conversion (change the path of ffmpeg.exe to match yours):

Code: [Select]
FOR %F IN (*.wav) DO C:\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe -i "%F" -codec copy "%~nF.aiff" && del /f/q "%F"

As always, be sure to do a test run first on a few files to be sure everything is working as you expected.

Reply #4
Only thing that can not be done is removing the original tracks (although I imagine you work from a playlist, so you can use file operations/delete file on the entire batch after converting).
That is exactly what I did two months ago when converting my entire library to lossyFLAC, can confirm that deleting the original files from the playlist works well.

Instructions:
- Backup the original files for safety
- Create a new playlist, add all the files you want converted and check for impostors (files that are already compressed, for example).
- Select all, right click>convert>...
- Set output path to Source track folder, as regor mentioned
- Use any output style you are comfortable, you're free to change the names as well. Foobar2000 plugins like foo_playcount usually only care about the tags.
- Make sure to transfer all metadata, replaygain info and attached pictures as well, otherwise you'll lose them.
- No processing is needed.
- When all settings are done, click convert and go get some tea. CPUs with more cores usually go faster as Foobar2000 converter can work with many files at once.
- When done converting, check if everything went correctly.
- And now, to delete the source files: select all on that same playlist as before, right click>file operations>delete files (this will only delete the selected audio files, other files like pictures and text on the same folder will remain)

Good luck!

Reply #5
@MetaPixel :  the playlist mass-delete solution certainly works well;  my script deletes each source file "on the fly" after each successful conversion.  Since the OP is working with large file sizes and a 2000 count the ffmpeg option might suit if dealing with limited source space.

Reply #6
Wow thanks for all the info, great support!

I ended up converting (making a mistake adn then painfully undoing the whole thing) allthe tracks to AIFF and then i just deleted the saved playlist which was .wav only and made before the conversion. Worked very well.

But i'm now with this problem. It seems that Foobar or AIFF doesn't actually write the metadata to the file? I had started this task with the hope of having all my main tagging (Artist, Trackname, Key, BPM and Genre) embedded into the file itself. Is this possible?

Heres a look at both Foobar and the same files in Pioneer's rekordbox. The tags show in Foobar but not Rekordbox? Do i have to action the writing of Foobar tags to the file somehow? I thought AIFF includes a container for metadata?

IMAGE >>> https://imgur.com/a/6A0cgk8

Any ideas appreciated! Sorry to be a pain.
Regards
F0B!C

PS. my workflow for indexing new music: Fix filename with Advanced Renamer >FOOBAR [Main Catalogue Pro & Personal] Convert to AIFF > Mixed in Key to tag Key and BPM > Rekordbox Collection for Live Performance.
I know its an odd/ long list and i do wish i could have a one app fits all :/

Reply #7
Hmmmm, it seems i have some corrupt files or odd encodings which kept halting the tags being saved perhaps? Still testing, will report.

Reply #8
Make sure you select 'Transfer metadata (tags)' in the Other settings page - see the wiki screenshots.

(as MetaPixel mentioned)

Reply #9
Right @MetaPixel  / @anamorphic

I can confirm metadata was already checked. So I managed to single out the files that were causing issue by separate large chunks of my MP3s into folders until i could isolate a group of problem files. The issue did not occur with any WAVs which comprise around 70% of my collection. I noticed some files were full length mixes which was probably playing havoc on the Mixed in Key algorithm when trying to determine a key.

I removed the mixes but the problem still persisted so i just continued narrowing down MP3s until i had only 3 left (from 2000, yes i did cry!) which i then cleared all their tags in case they had an offending ASCII character or something, then the problem magically went away.

All music is now tagged as expected and are also showing in Rekordbox. Sorry i couldn't be more specific but i really don't know the exact reason for the fix. Thanks to all who helped :))

Reply #10
@MetaPixel :  the playlist mass-delete solution certainly works well;  my script deletes each source file "on the fly" after each successful conversion.  Since the OP is working with large file sizes and a 2000 count the ffmpeg option might suit if dealing with limited source space.

With limited source space, yes. But it seems unnecessary to do CLI stuff for a one-off task when a good enough GUI tool is available, especially for a novice who will need to interpret errors and fix them. They would spend more time learning CLI than actually doing their work.
Also, isn't this script single threaded?

Reply #11
Hi Guys sorry to bring up this post again but after almost 2 weeks of trying to get my music collection in order and waiting for Pioneer's terrible support I thought i would ask here as y'all seem to know what you're talking about.

What i am trying to Do
I wanted to covert all my purchased WAV files to a format that allows me to add metadata so i am not reliant on any database to view basic details of each track. I have around 6000 tracks. I went with AIFF because its the most compatible based on my DJing hardware. You can view my full answered post to Pioneer here >> https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/4403325101465-Can-you-see-a-difference-between-these-2-AIFF-files-

So i used FOOBAR to do the conversions from WAV to AIFF and that all seemed to go splendidly as the rest of this thread attests. However since then, i imported the entire newly converted AIFF catalogue into Mixed in Key (a program that can scan a track and confirm which musical key it is for harmonious mixing) and set it to oeverwite the comments section of each AIFF with the correct key. This seems to have worked also.

THE ISSUE
When importing into my DJ software "Rekordbox" from Pioneer it does not see any of this meta data, specifically the musical key, track title and artist. Examples can be found at the thread above.

This has been going on for a few years and has caused me hundreds of hours of tagging in Rekordbox which i now believe will be lost due to the AIFF conversion as Rekordbox has no way of connecting the original WAV with its newly converted counterpart. If anyone knows of anything that can help me in my quest to get my music catalogue in order i would be forever indebted.

PS. is there a way to show "Comments" in foobar as a column? so i can sort all tracks based on its key? Thanks

Reply #12
PS. is there a way to show "Comments" in foobar as a column? so i can sort all tracks based on its key? Thanks
Yes.  Prefs/Display/Default User Interface/Playlist view.  In the "Custom columns" box, click "add new".  Make the name "Comment", then click to the right in the Pattern field and enter: %comment% ;  OK.  The new Comment column will now appear as a choice when you right-click the title bar and expand the "Columns" choices--click it to activate.

As to why "Rekordbox" is not seeing the comment tag on the AIFF's it's probably best to ask that in a Rekordbox forum.

Reply #13
Nice thanks for that, should have realised it was that simple considering i created a Rating column  :)) I just assumed there was a default option for Comments.

And I did post on Rekordbox forum just they are not very good. Well let's see if they ever answer my question. Thanks for the help!

Reply #14
Hmmmm, it seems i have some corrupt files or odd encodings which kept halting the tags being saved perhaps? Still testing, will report.

Just adding to this thread for others following: So my investigation has concluded that many of my WAVs converted by Foobar had corrupt heading information. I think this is the part of the file header vital to allowing meta-data input. I don't like to place blame on anything i'm not certain on, so at this stage i'm just saying the files were converted by Foobar (not necessaily the cause of the issue as the WAVs may have been oddly encoded when i purchased them online).

Here's an example of the error:

Know It Better - Dj Lion.aiff
000068100462 Container: ID3 contained size does not reflect chunk size
000068101852 Container: Chunk overflows (recoverable): size=2131112464, next offset=2199214324, file size=68103920

In the end i resolved the issue by adding an arbitrary value in the comment field of all my converted AIFFs and then did a sort in FOOBAR to see which had correctly copied the value. Those missing the value were moved (using the file operations command in Foobar) and reconverted using MediaHuman's audio converter (100% free).

All AIFF files are now all behaving correctly :)

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2021