Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: If I install v2, will it over-ride 1.6 (Read 1640 times) previous topic - next topic

If I install v2, will it over-ride 1.6

If I install v2, will it over-ride 1.6 and will my existing interface remain unchanged? Thanks for any advice. Chris.

Re: If I install v2, will it over-ride 1.6

Reply #1
All the configuration files for version 1.16 should be in
C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000
I'm pretty sure installing version 2 will update the files in the foobar2000 installation folder, but it'll make a new configuration folder for itself at
C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000-v2
and copy the contents from the old configuration folder, which should remain intact.

It's a good idea to keep a backup copy of the configuration folder anyway, just in case something bad happens.

You can also install version 2 as a portable installation, so you can play with the new version while still using the old one. If you install foobar2000 as a portable version, before you run it you should be able to copy the contents of your 1.16 configuration folder into the folder where the portable version resides, and it should start up using your old configuration.

All that's assuming you're installing the 32 bit version of foobar2000 2.0 as the 64 bit version will need to update whatever plugins you use. There's no reason why you can't install both the 32 and 64 bit flavors of foobar2000 2.0 as portable versions to play around with them first.

Reply #2
As v1.16 is a 32-bit application, it is probably installed in
C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000

If you install the 64-bit version of v2.0, it will default to:
C:\Program Files\foobar2000

This is how I have them on Windows 11.
I have a shortcut for each one and can run them independently.

File associations have been taken over by v2.0, so there is that to consider.

Reply #3
Hi.

Of course, as @Henry66 wrote, it also depends on the choice of x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit) version for Foobar2K v2.0. In any case, I recommend backing up the entire folder with configuration and plugins. In case of problems, you can then return everything back.

I personally use the method of the portable version of Foobar2K. Thus, everything is only in one and the same directory. For the backup, I only need this single Foobar2K directory that I have on the disk. However, in the case of a standard Windows installation, two folders are created. One is the user profile and one is the application itself:

x86 (32-bit)
C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000

x64 (64-bit)
C:\Program Files\foobar2000
C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000

So, to be sure, back up everything you need in advance (back up with a ZIP archive and put it somewhere other than the system disk).

During the first installation of v2.0, the database / settings will also be exported from the old v1.6 to the new v2.0.

Reply #4
Hm, anyone: what about sidegrading by overwriting a 32-bit fb2k over a 64-bit fb2k or vice versa?

Reply #5
Without bringing 3rd party components in to the mix, I'm sure the config files/playlists/database files are fully interchangeable between 32bit and 64bit.

There is scope for things to go wrong if a component is not properly updated. As an example if you used the size_t data type it can be 4 bytes on 32bit and 8 bytes on 64bit systems. If a data reader/writer serialises using templates for the type, it's going to break. Making it uint32_t (4 byte unsigned int) would fix it for everyone. Same as size_t on 32bit, fixed 4 bytes on 64bit systems.

The good news is that if incompetent half wits like me know about it, pretty much everyone else should too.

Conversely, people quickly pinching other people's projects off github for a quick and dirty 64bit/dark mode updates may have paid zero attention to this.

Reply #7
Hm, anyone: what about sidegrading by overwriting a 32-bit fb2k over a 64-bit fb2k or vice versa?
I backed up my portable v1.6 installation in 7z then installed v2.0 x64 on top of it. Only components bundled with the installer are upgraded, optional x86 components are not automatically upgraded and I need to download them manually.

I only use a very barebone UI in v1.6 and the UI settings are preserved in v2.0 x64.

I have no urgent reasons to upgrade so I would just continue to use v1.6.