Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Where is the Sticky to a How To Guide? Mapping custom fields in Columns UI (Read 1104 times) previous topic - next topic

Where is the Sticky to a How To Guide? Mapping custom fields in Columns UI

Hello All,

I have searching like crazy for a how to for this program. I have been playing with it for years but a lack of a guide has stopped me from using it to it's full potential. I have googled and read 2-4 page guides but nothing that gives some actual instruction so I can get a grasp on things before asking questions her.  If anyone can point me to one, I would be really grateful. I am surprised there is not a sticky with this info.

Anyways, what I am trying to do is add custom fields to Columns UI. I use MP3Tag pretty extensively and want to map custom fields I have made there to display in Fb2K.  I thought I just had to define the field as [%fieldname%], but it is not populating.

Re: Where is the Sticky to a How To Guide? Mapping custom fields in Columns UI

Reply #1
Hm, I don't see why that wouldn't work… I just tried it by manually creating a field in a new column, works fine, as you'd expect.

I think I know what your problem is though; MP3Tag.

I've tried it out several times, largely because it's been widely praised for years as the best tagging software. And it's very good for sure, BUT I know for a fact it's kinda weird and inconsistent with custom fields. I know you can manually re-define field mappings in mp3tag but I found it hit or miss, especially with FLAC files (seems like it doesn't handle vorbis comments well). Despite my earnest attempts at configuring it, I ended up switching to MusicBrainz Picard; I find it to be better and it's more tightly integrated with the MusicBrainz database anyway.

Re: Where is the Sticky to a How To Guide? Mapping custom fields in Columns UI

Reply #2
Hello All,

I have searching like crazy for a how to for this program. I have been playing with it for years but a lack of a guide has stopped me from using it to it's full potential. I have googled and read 2-4 page guides but nothing that gives some actual instruction so I can get a grasp on things before asking questions her.  If anyone can point me to one, I would be really grateful. I am surprised there is not a sticky with this info.

Anyways, what I am trying to do is add custom fields to Columns UI. I use MP3Tag pretty extensively and want to map custom fields I have made there to display in Fb2K.  I thought I just had to define the field as [%fieldname%], but it is not populating.
Hi,
I am using custom fields (e.g. %work%), usefull for classical music.
Ican easily manage them with MP3tag and home made scripts ("actions").
My scripts are labelled in French but I can send them to you.
Check again the MP3tag forums and howtos.
Later, you can even ask the author, who is very kind.

"To nobody, except those who will take pleasure here" (Franz Schubert, 1797-1828)