Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: remoting foobar2k (Read 5248 times) previous topic - next topic

remoting foobar2k

I am working on remote controlling foobar. So far, I detect its window and parse it for the title.
Now I need to send msgs to issue commands.

remoting foobar2k

Reply #1
You don't send messages to foobar using SendMessage.  That's poor style, and foobar is not Winamp.  You will need to write a plugin if you want to do this.  (or find an existing one)

remoting foobar2k

Reply #2
I dont care about "style".
I just need a way to remotely control foobar without adding any plugin to it. I've managed with every other player so far. For WMP I used COM and NAD I ignored. Controlling it works via DDE and is way too much work.

So, is there any way or not? If no, hacking by emulating user input ala winamp2 and 3 will have to do.

remoting foobar2k

Reply #3
You should care about style, but whatever.  I wasn't actually referring to your style.  I was referring to Winamp 2's style.  Using SendMessage for communication is poor style and a poor idea.  Foobar does not support such junk.

And no, there is no "hands off" way to control foobar.  Unless someone has written such a plugin, you're going to have to write some sort of plugin yourself.  (Or emulate user input.  Blech.)

edit:  foobar does support some command line switches, though.  Run foobar from the command prompt with /"?".

remoting foobar2k

Reply #4
Unless I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time on the forums  ) foo_remote does just what he wants.  That is, accepts sendmessage and translates it to the appropriate foobar actions.  Agreed, not the most elegant IPC method but I guess it it fine for simple things like play and stop.  It is amazing to me how many programs actually use this exact method for their "SDK".

Here's a link

foo_remote

remoting foobar2k

Reply #5
I dont like to depend on some plugin being present. I therefore send faked user input to foobar in form of hotkeys, key presses, etc. This works fine for wa3

remoting foobar2k

Reply #6
Right, and thus it's going to work like a charm with foobar as well.

*cough* configurable hotkeys *cough*
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

remoting foobar2k

Reply #7
I dont like to depend on some plugin being present.

That's your opinion, even if I don't share it. The point is that you want to do some form of communication, so you need a partner which can understand and respond to your messages - whatever method you use to exchange them. If foobar itself can't do this, you will need to use a plugin. I think that's what foobar users do all the time: using plugins, because this is one of the main advantages of foobar (besides being teh higher quality ).

remoting foobar2k

Reply #9
I'd like to see something that I could see foobar exactly the way it is on main box, but vie web interface or something else.  It's seems pretty impossibble, and the closest thing to that is foo_write_http.  Be great t be able to see the player from another computer, especially for linux.  No need to get the sound to come out of the controlling box, just be able to control it from there.  Is that even possible, aside from using vnc?