Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Piperec.exe uses a lot of CPU (Read 7663 times) previous topic - next topic

Piperec.exe uses a lot of CPU

Tried the following with piperec.exe from Case's site; first recording from soundcard to a file:
Code: [Select]
piperec 44100 16 2 | lame --preset standard - - > F:\test.mp3

Then send the result as a stream with ezstream:
Code: [Select]
piperec 44100 16 2 | lame --preset standard - - | ezstream -c C:\MYPATH\ezstream_stdin.xml

This is very practical and useful. However I discovered that CPU goes straight to 100% in both cases. I checked with Windows Task Manager and Sysinternals ProcessExplorer. Piperec uses between 30 to 50% of CPU. Also csrss.exe, the client/server run-time subsystem for Windows, uses an equal amount of CPU. The csrss process goes to these figures when piperec is started, and goes straight down as piperec process is stopped, so there's gotta be a connection. Then lame uses an 7-8% so all in all this uses almost 100% of CPU as long as it's run. As piperec only takes sound from soundcard and sends it to stdout as wav with specified samplerate, bitdepth and channels, I think it's a bit strange that it should use this much CPU. A bit pity too, as it's a useful tool (and the only Win32 command line tool I know of that does this).

My system has a nForce2 based Asus mobo with Athlon XP 3000+ and 1 GB RAM, running XPsp2.
"ONLY THOSE WHO ATTEMPT THE IMPOSSIBLE WILL ACHIEVE THE ABSURD"
        - Oceania Association of Autonomous Astronauts

Reply #1
Piperec uses between 30 to 50% of CPU. Also csrss.exe, the client/server run-time subsystem for Windows, uses an equal amount of CPU. ...

I have compiled a new one for you, it should work. Lucky it was with source code ;-)

My system has a nForce2 based Asus mobo with Athlon XP 3000+ and 1 GB RAM, running XPsp2.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It's nothing to do with your mobo or processor. I have P4 and it also goes to 100% CPU usage.

Please use my new compile and try it out, please tell me if it works.
[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=34832]Cases piperec that no longer hog the CPU[/url]

Updated the link, now links to the upload forum.

Reply #2
Works very fine! Now CPU usage hardly registers.

Reply #3
Works very fine! Now CPU usage hardly registers.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305789"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You are welcome, and I'm happy it works.

Reply #4
I forgot the obvious: Thank You!

I think you should leave it up at least a couple of days to give people a chance to show whether there's any interest.....

Reply #5
I've never heard of this program but it sounds good. Im gonna give it a try. And thank you for fixing the bug  Preuss.

LOL its only 4 kb , this is the smallest program i've ever seen which still is usefull.

Reply #6
I've never heard of this program but it sounds good. Im gonna give it a try. And thank you for fixing the bug  Preuss.

LOL its only 4 kb , this is the smallest program i've ever seen which still is usefull.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually it's the original that's 4,0 KB as it's compressed with [a href="http://upx.sourceforge.net/]UPX[/url]. The fixed version are piperec_fix.exe that's uncompressed and 16,0 KB large. If you compress that one with UPX the result are 4,5 KB.

Reply #7
I think you should leave it up at least a couple of days to give people a chance to show whether there's any interest.....
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=305817"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok then, I will leave it up for a week or so.

Now I have moved the link to the upload forum ;-)

Reply #8
Piperec now get 50% cpu and crss.exe other 50% about.