Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: VXD errors (0028) and VCACHE (Read 2148 times) previous topic - next topic

VXD errors (0028) and VCACHE

Often the sistem hangs and a blue screen is showed, with VXD error (0028) and errors on VCACHE.
After reinstalling Windows from a clean system the problem is the same. I've checked the parameters of VCACHE and set them on defaults but no results. And my sistem is Windows 98 SE. Same problem with Windows Me and with different hard disk.

What can it be the cause?
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]

Reply #1
And my sistem is Windows 98 SE. Same problem with Windows Me and with different hard disk.

What can it be the cause?

Does this happen on the same computer, or are you using two separate computers and this is happening?

About the only things I can think of:

* Win98 has numerous VxD problems that eventually result into having to reinstall the OS -- even if everything else runs fine. The VxD errors are one of the problems with Win98 which makes it worth ditching and upgrading to a newer Windows version, albeit newer versions also have bugs of their own.
Newer versions (2000, XP) have bugs, however they are more stable.

* The possible fix that worked on my Win98 system is VXD Bug Fix Win98:
http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files007.shtml
With VXD Bug Fix Win98 you must have the original Windows install CD, it does make the system much more stable.

* Possible hardware related problems. Download and run MemTest86 for several hours:
http://www.memtest86.com/

* Possible buggy software. Try to install one thing at a time, and then see how the system is performing. One thing you may want to consider is to download the 30 day trial version of WinRescue 98:
http://www.superwin.com/frescue8.htm
The reason I suggest downloading this commercial program is because it can make a backup of the system registry which you can restore if you've installed some buggy software that needs to be completely removed from the system registry.

If you don't want to use a commercial time-out application to save, and restore the registry just let me know and I can send some batch utilities I made on my old Win98 system called RegTool98.

Edit: Added more information

Reply #3
Does this happen on the same computer, or are you using two separate computers and this is happening?

It happens on the same PC where I tried different Os and HD.

do you have more that 500mb of ram?

I had 64MB and then 256MB, Sdr.

Thank you both, I'll check out these advices
[ Commodore 64 Forever...! ]