Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Standard Destination String for Various Artists (Read 893 times) previous topic - next topic

Standard Destination String for Various Artists

Is there a 'Standard' or Preferred Form for the FB2K Destination String format for all CDs that provides for tagging Various Artists CDs with the actual artist for the Track ??

I am now using Destination - Output folder: D:\Cache.Foobar2000\FLAC
File name pattern: %album artist%/%album%[ '('%date%')']/%title%

Which is fine for single artist CDs, but slots Various Artist CDs such as movie soundtracks, compilations, Grammy Nominees, etc.  into a Various artists Folder with a album name sub-older and all the tracks in that folder.  I would like each track to be tagged with the artist to enable later finding of that track when searching for the artist & also incorporate the actual track artist in the name.  Is this possible ??  And how do I find all tracks for a certain artist that are either in his main CD or in a various artists collection ?

Re: Standard Destination String for Various Artists

Reply #1
If an Album Artist is defined (various artists or anything such as a composer) and different from Artist, you can use this false field in your filename:

[%track artist% - ]%title%

To filter tracks by any metadata, you can add all your music directories to the Media Library (in Preferences) and use an Album List view, such as "by artist". Or you can load your tracks into a playlist, focus it and press Ctrl-F to search within that playlist by the artist or a specific query, such as: ARTIST IS First LastName, or ARTIST HAS Name

Re: Standard Destination String for Various Artists

Reply #2
File name pattern: %album artist%/%album%[ '('%date%')']/%title%
I certainly prefer to have them chronologically and in track order ... and I noticed that the ¨ character is hardly ever used for anything in metadata, and {} often not. Same about pilcrow, which you can use for disc number like this:

%album artist%/%date% ¨ %album%[ ¶%discnumber%]/%tracknumber% ¨ %title%[ {%track artist%}]

or you can simply use "{}" as separator before title except for various artists:

%album artist%/%date% ¨ %album%[ ¶%discnumber%]/%tracknumber% {%track artist%} %title%

Myself I am using lots of other information (disc number and like CDDB disc id, to keep different versions of the same CD apart), and a version tag for track version (like "live" or "Previously Too Embarrassed To Release") etc. 
Also I have nothing with "Various artists" - using the second pattern above on this album, I would use e.g. "zzzCandlelight" for album artist and it would look like
zzzCandlelight/2006 ¨ Phoenix Risen ¶2/02 {She Said Destroy} Time Like Vines.flac