Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: having trouble encoding speex files with speex frontend (Read 5956 times) previous topic - next topic

having trouble encoding speex files with speex frontend

Hi, new member here. having trouble with Speex frontend. I downloaded speex frontend 1.0, then put SpeexEnc and SpeexDec into its directory. Only trouble is, when I enter the commandline --bitrate 16, or any other bitrate, the files come out at around 4kbps. Also --abr 16, or any other bitrate produces files with average bitrates of 4kbps. Vbr works perfectly. I have posted to the speex dev mailing list two days ago but haven't received a thing on it yet. I am totally stuck what to do now. I've tried all kinds of things. --bitrate n uses default bitrate but I can't get it anywhere else at that point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply #1
This is just a guess, as I don't have the Speex frontend handy to test this out, but perhaps the bitrate is supposed to be entered in bps rather than kbps.  That is to say, try putting "16000" instead of "16."

Reply #2
Ah, that makes sense. Thank you much, it actually works! At least I think it does. I know a lot of newbies are going to be confused on that one because the help files say it has to be specified in kbps. Considering speech codecs are extremely new to me anyway, I never would've thought of using BPS. Imagine trying to encode something at 16bps! LOL. Would be nice but not possible at the moment...