Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Easiest way to rename MP3's by folder? (Read 4135 times) previous topic - next topic

Easiest way to rename MP3's by folder?

Hello. I want to rename albums that are arranged like this:

"Artist - Album - Track Number - Track Title"

to...

"Track Number - Track Title - Artist"

Also, I would like to be able to put them back into original naming scheme.

Thanks

Reply #1
fb2k's masstagger can do that.

Reply #2
Where can I download it from? I am struggling to find it

Cheers

Reply #4
sorry, understand now. foobar 2000

Reply #5
Nope, still cant find this 'mass tagger'

Any ideas?

Reply #6
select the tracks to proceed then right click

Reply #7
you could also use Case's Tag instead ( http://www.ca5e.tk ) to do it. It works very well !
(AFAIK, fb2k's masstagger is somehow based on Case's Tag)

If you don't like command line tools, there's also 2 frontends available...
A Dwarf has its own way to fight !

Reply #8
Still struggling guys. Foobar crashes for no apparent reason when I load playlist and that case tag looks way too complicated. does anyone know where I can find a tutorial? All I want to do is what I wrote in first thread. Nothing fancy

Reply #9
instead of loading a playlist file, try loading the directories or folders that you want to rename. then proceed with the other instructions already given.

Reply #10
Have you had a look at Tagger (one of the Tag frontends)? I have never done this myself, but I had a look now and it looks very easy.

Some keywords that might help:
Rename
Rename from filename
Custom
Old filename: A - L - N - T
New filename scheme: N - T - A
Check "Add folders intead of replace list" and "Subdirectories"
If you check "test mode" you're safe, and can do a test before you press "Do the same without testmode"

I'm not sure if this is all you need or if it was of any help, but I don't have the time do do testing and write a comprehensive guide.

Reply #11
Still struggling guys. Foobar crashes for no apparent reason when I load playlist and that case tag looks way too complicated. does anyone know where I can find a tutorial? All I want to do is what I wrote in first thread. Nothing fancy

To rename files from "Artist - Album - Track Number - Track Title" to "Track Number - Track Title - Artist":
With foobar2000:
Select the tracks you want to rename from the playlist
Right click
Choose masstagger|rename files
In the "output filename format" box, type: %tracknumber% - %title% - %artist%
Check the preview (and possibly update) and click OK.

Obviously, that will work only if the tracknumber, title and artist fields are included in the files tag info . Otherwise you'll have to tag your files first.

Et voilà. Hope it was clear.

Reply #12
Hello. I want to rename albums

Another possibility is "Godfather". Additionally it can handle modify, create id tags, make cddb queries and a lot more.

Reply #13
Thanks for all the help fellas. Have downloaded and tried them all and I think 'Tagger' is the one for me. So far, so good, on every album offered to it...