Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Speex 1.0-beta 2 Is Out (Read 6218 times) previous topic - next topic

Speex 1.0-beta 2 Is Out

I'd like to let you know that I just released Speex 1.0-beta2:

"This second beta release brings many, many optimizations to the encoder
and decoder. In some cases, the speedup is on the order of 50% to 100%.
As part of the optimizations, some sections of Speex have been written
in assembly with SSE instructions which can be enabled with the _USE_SSE
flag when compiling with GCC. Finally, the code has received a major
cleanup."

Also the web site has been re-designed: http://www.speex.org/

Speex 1.0-beta 2 Is Out

Reply #1
could someone please compile a win32 version please ? Perhaps a windows version could be on speex.org as well ?

Speex 1.0-beta 2 Is Out

Reply #2
could someone please compile a win32 version please ?

win32 compile of speexenc and speexdec available now at Mirror 1, below.

Edit: New update version of Speexdrop + sources posted too.

Speex 1.0-beta 2 Is Out

Reply #3
Does the new speex encoder / decoder support high quality wav files for input or does it only take mono wav files?  If it only takes mono wav files, can someone please tell me the best, quickest, simplest way to get a wav file to mono wav using a command line program, if any are available!

Speex 1.0-beta 2 Is Out

Reply #4
Does the new speex encoder / decoder support high quality wav files for input or does it only take mono wav files?  If it only takes mono wav files, can someone please tell me the best, quickest, simplest way to get a wav file to mono wav using a command line program, if any are available!

If you are a win32 user, you could use speexdrop which will do the downmixing (to mono) and the resampling for you.

Speex 1.0-beta 2 Is Out

Reply #5
how did you get your program to do all the downmixing stuff?

Speex 1.0-beta 2 Is Out

Reply #6
how did you get your program to do all the downmixing stuff?

Well, the downmixing is easy enough: (left channel + right channel)/2 about does it!  But, the resampling stuff is somewhat more complex. The source code is posted if you want to look through it.

Speex 1.0-beta 2 Is Out

Reply #7
Is it only me or it happens to everyone?
When I try to use speexdrop with a big audio file (1 hour lecture recording in 8khz, 16bit PCM) speexdrop increases in size and then almost kills the whole system. So after a few
minutes speexdrop takes 700Mb of virtual memory. However if I use speexenc.exe, then
everything is ok and very fast, total memory taken is only a few kb.

May be it is possible to create speexdrop similar to LameDrop, where an external encoder is used?
My endian is bigger than yours.

Speex 1.0-beta 2 Is Out

Reply #8
Sounds like I have a memory leak problem. I'll look into it. Thanks for the notification.

Speex 1.0-beta 2 Is Out

Reply #9
It was indeed a memory leak. Problem fixed and new sources and exe, V0.0.3, uploaded to Mirror 1, below.