Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: USAC (xHE-AAC) 5.1 Linux Playback (Read 864 times) previous topic - next topic

USAC (xHE-AAC) 5.1 Linux Playback

Hi. I am using exhale for encoding. Previously I encoded only stereo and played it with ffmpeg (compiled with libfdk_aac support) or with foobar2000 through Wine. And today I decided to encode a fragment of a 6-channel audio track from a movie. The encoding was successful. But I found that libfdk can't play multichannel audio. Is there any USAC multichannel decoder for Linux or for Windows (working through Wine)?

Re: USAC (xHE-AAC) 5.1 Linux Playback

Reply #2
Thank you, that makes sense now.
It seems that for multichannel audio I need an encoder and a decoder with MPEG-H standard support. There is a free decoder from Fraunhofer IIS for playback, but no free tools to encode it.
Opus will probably remain the best choice for multichannel audio available to the average user for a long time to come.