Skip to main content
Topic: PoQStacker update (Read 410 times) previous topic - next topic

PoQStacker update

A PoQStacker update is available at www.poqstacker.org

Thanks for all the suggestions. Many of which have been implemented in this update.

For those who asked for ‘group levelling’ - I have an algorithm that I am working on...

Enjoy
Stacker

Re: PoQStacker update

Reply #1
Currently, PoQStacker only works on a PC

What does this mean?
Will it work on GNU/Linux? It seems like it won't, because the only file that's suggested for download is a .msi file (archived).
If so, then this is not a good way to phrase that:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#PC
It's OK to use the abbreviation “PC” to refer to a certain kind of computer hardware, but please don't use it with the implication that the computer is running Microsoft Windows. If you install GNU/Linux on the same computer, it is still a PC.
Also the source code is not open, am I right? If so, I can't see any points why it could be preferable over foobar2000 (far more complete, also doesn't try to "sell something") or deadbeef (supports GNU/Linux, open source&free software).
Perhaps it would be better to contribute missing features to deadbeef instead.

This phrase also is quite alarming:
Note: Some Antivirus programs mistakenly detect Malware (Virus, Trojan, etc.) in official PoQStacker downloads. This is a FALSE POSITIVE!
because, while the author likely indeed doesn't have any malicious intent, the download (and the whole website) are served over plain http, which is easily vulnerable to MitM attacks. It's also not clear if the user should expect the software to be signed. AFAIK most Windows users are "trained" to expect unsigned software, in this case here's absolutely nothing to protect them from a MitM who may replace the downloaded file with something else.

Reply #3
@magicgoose: To regular mortals, the distinction tends to be "PC or mac".
There's nicer ways to inquire about platform support than to go full GNU+.

The author has made some software that may be useful to some people that's not you, and may have no interest in trying to shoehorn it into some other tangentially related piece of software.

Take their "DJ" feature for example. It's likely something that would be a poor fit if integrated as a foobar2000 component or part of deadbeef, due to design choices inside.

In the end, choices are good, and I'm thankful to @Stacker for deciding to share theirs with us.
Zao shang yong zao nong zao rang zao ren zao.
To, early in the morning, use a chisel to build a bathtub makes impatient people hot-tempered.

Reply #4
@magicgoose: To regular mortals, the distinction tends to be "PC or mac".
Where "PC" still doesn't imply "Windows". It's about hardware.

Take their "DJ" feature for example. It's likely something that would be a poor fit if integrated as a foobar2000 component or part of deadbeef, due to design choices inside.
Yeah I agree it's possible. Would be better if the rationale was provided, though.

Reply #5
Thank you all for your comments. The website, certificates, dialogue and video tutorials are all a work-in-progress…

And thanks to those who managed to get over those hurdles.

@magicgoose – the evolutionary path, multiple languages and complex compilation method makes it an unsuitable project to be open source – but that may change in the future.

@zao – I hope you are getting good use out of ‘Hal’…

There are numerous unique features, one being:– I often use dlna to transport to various renderers. However, very few renderers implement replaygain. If you are using dlna and also have the Levelling option enabled PoQStacker will activate the replaygain mechanism in its server.

Enjoy
Stacker

Reply #6
multiple languages and complex compilation method makes it an unsuitable project to be open source
I don't see why it follows. There are plenty of existing open source projects which use multiple languages and use a complex compilation method. A typical example is darktable — it uses C, OpenCL and Lua, and it's far from being easy to build at least on some of the supported platforms, but they did not decide that it's a reason to keep the code in secret. And it works for them really well.

SimplePortal 1.0.0 RC1 © 2008-2018