Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Portable Mp3 player with real buttons (Read 8063 times) previous topic - next topic

Portable Mp3 player with real buttons

Anyone know a current model of portable Mp3 player with real buttons? I.e. not touchscreen or scrollwheel. Thanks.

Reply #1
A few minutes ago I convinced a colleague to get a Sansa Clip+, which is currently extremely cheap on Amazon.de. Inexpensive, small, and measures very well for its price tag. Just get a replacement for the stock headphones.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #2
Plenty out there if you look.

A happy user of a Rockboxed Clip+ here.

Reply #3
I'm very happy with my Sansa Clip+.

Reply #4
Sansa Clip+
Thanks, and I've found a couple from from Samsung. Creative and Sony seem to have dumped their major models.

Anyone know a model having around 2.5" (like the now discontinued Creative ZEN) or larger?

Reply #5
No, Sony still out there.  Just kinda expensive for what you get.  That "scroll wheel" is actually a 4-way button.

Reply #6
That "scroll wheel" is actually a 4-way button.
Crikey, that's dangerous design - someone might mistake the unit for an Apple!

Thanks - added to list.

Reply #7
> Anyone know a model having around 2.5" (like the now discontinued Creative ZEN) or larger?

Correction: Anyone know a model having screen around 2.5" (like the now discontinued Creative ZEN) or larger?

Reply #8
Screen larger than 2.5" ? i think thats larger than my sansa clip zip... if you want that large use a smart phone?

Now i got rockbox on the clip zip i cant think of anything its missing really. Maybe better headphones but cant decide which ones to get.

Reply #9
I agree a cell phone is the way to go. Why carry two devices that are redundant if your phone already has a music player?

Granted, some cell phones may lack certain features one wants, but if I were in such a position, I'd get a new cell phone!

Reply #10
Thanks, and I've found a couple from from Samsung. Creative and Sony seem to have dumped their major models.

Anyone know a model having around 2.5" (like the now discontinued Creative ZEN) or larger?

The now discontinued Cowon J3 can still be found on the Internet. The hardware buttons are located on the right edge of the device and is very easy to use even blindly. It also has a great 3.3" AMOLED screen and insane battery life.

Reply #11
The now discontinued Cowon J3 can still be found on the Internet. The hardware buttons are located on the right edge of the device and is very easy to use even blindly. It also has a great 3.3" AMOLED screen and insane battery life.

Oops, scrap my suggestion- I misunderstood you. You want a device that is totally controlled by buttons.

Reply #12
> if you want that large use a smart phone?

I was underwhelmed by the music player facilities of the non-touchscreen smart phones I've tried e.g. Nokia and Motorola.

Reply #13
> if you want that large use a smart phone?

I was underwhelmed by the music player facilities of the non-touchscreen smart phones I've tried e.g. Nokia and Motorola.

Samsung YP-R0.

Physical buttons, 2.6" screen, and rockbox port in case you get tired of the stock firmware.