Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Problem when installing Foobar 2000 beta 1.0 (Read 11176 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem when installing Foobar 2000 beta 1.0

Hi all.
I downloaded the installer for the latest beta from the website, and proseeded to install it. I selected to install it using the standard installation, and installed it in C:\Program Files\Foobar 2000 (the default location). When the installation had finished, a message popped up saying "Initialization failure : Could not access profile folder." Does anyone know what this means?
Thanks a lot,
Elliott.

Reply #1
Seems like there were some error while accessing the profile folder, which is "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000" in Vista+ or "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\foobar2000" in XP by default. Does such path exist? Do you happen to know if the user profile path isn't weird somehow on your system (e.g. some permission issues)?
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Reply #2
Getting the same problem here when making a new standard install of v1.0 b1 (portable works fine). When i installed it over my old 0.9.6.9 (standard installation) there were no problems.
The user profile path is in it's normal place but the "my documents" folder is on another hdd if that matters.

Reply #3
OK, reproduced. Thanks for reporting.

Reply #4
Hi.
So why is this problem happening, and what does it mean?
Will it be fixed in the next release?
Thanks a lot!

Reply #5
It means there is a bug in the final stage of the installation. It will be fixed in the next beta.

Reply #6
This 'Could not access profile folder' problem can still reoccur in other circumstances. When Windows shuts down for some reason - like trying out a new driver and failing at that - an active Foobar 2000 can delete the 'Profile Folder' in full. Under Win 7: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\foobar2000
It happened to me when foobar 1.1.15 was active and minimized at the time, it was not playing.
It would have been nice if a simple reinstall had worked.

I ended up uninstalling Foobar and cleaning the registry (no patience for more delays).
After this reinstall and putting the playlists folder back worked of course.
Next I found that backup playlists have to be loaded one by one, and from within foobar.
Shellextension apparently doesn't work for fpl under windows 7, 64 bit.
That fpl files are not backupped with given names, but with numbers, well...,
I don't want to go off topic here.

Conclusion for now: Foobar is a great application, but maybe not the most stable customer out there.