Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: When I do sort by file path the albums show separately if there are fe (Read 2335 times) previous topic - next topic

When I do sort by file path the albums show separately if there are fe

I'm a basic user of foobar and i basically just setup 1 playlist and drag all my folders into it then play them from there, everything was going well untill today i got some wierd error with foobar and everything reset, i had a playlist saved so i didn't really care but when i opened it if a album had a featuring artist on it it would be separated from the other songs i tried setting sort to by file path but that didn't work any idea?

picture:

Help would be appreciated.

Reply #1
Sorting is working as it should. Your problem is grouping.

Assuming you're using the DUI, right-click on a column header and in the context menu that opens, select Groups > More... and define a "Custom grouping scheme." Usually %album artist% / %album% will work. Generally speaking, album tracks with differing artists should have a common ALBUM ARTIST value. Anyhow, after you create your grouping scheme, you can then right-click on the column headers again and select it.

Reply #2
Sorting is working as it should. Your problem is grouping.

Assuming you're using the DUI, right-click on a column header and in the context menu that opens, select Groups > More... and define a "Custom grouping scheme." Usually %album artist% / %album% will work. Generally speaking, album tracks with differing artists should have a common ALBUM ARTIST value. Anyhow, after you create your grouping scheme, you can then right-click on the column headers again and select it.

I actually do have the common album artist for the albums that this is happening with but it's still happening :L
and I did try the grouping scheme thing you reccomended with Columns UI, pretty sure I did i correctly, instructions on how to do it with Columns UI would be appreciated, i found out this only happened with the albums that had features tagged instead of in the song name.

Reply #3
In the screenshot track 04 has J Cole/Miguel as Artist (or Album Artist). The other tracks have only listed J Cole.
Right click track 04 and look for /Miguel, mark and delete.

Hopefully that helps.

You might want to check the whole album in one step to check the tags. Inconsistent tagging = recurring headaches.

Reply #4
I actually do have the common album artist for the albums that this is happening with but it's still happening :L
and I did try the grouping scheme thing you reccomended with Columns UI, pretty sure I did i correctly, instructions on how to do it with Columns UI would be appreciated, i found out this only happened with the albums that had features tagged instead of in the song name.

CUI grouping settings are found at File > Preferences > Display > Columns UI > Playlist view > Grouping tab.

Double-click the existing entry and replace it with the script I gave you in my previous post.

Ignore PeteG. There's no need to delete metadata.