Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Convert Audible files to MP3, AAC or Flac (Read 141484 times) previous topic - next topic

Convert Audible files to MP3, AAC or Flac

Reply #50
Do I need to do it twice for an audiobook that comes in two parts or am I missing something?  It would be nice if I could provide one wav file that was the result of combining the output of the two aax files and the aax files would be searched sequentially in the same path.  An alternative would be to process the aax files in the same directory sequentially against identically named wav files.  The user would only need to provide the name of the first aax file.

Thanks for the tool.  There is still a lot of after-work left to get a chaptered audiobook from audible but it really does help a lot.

Reply #51
Sorry, cant find an answere here.
My problem:
have an audiobook spanning over 2 cds (burned with iTunes not in One-Wave-file-mode), have one .aax file (16 chapters). The ripped wav's count chapter 1-10 (oncd 1) and capter 1-6 (oncd 2). Putting it all together renaming the wav's to xxx01.wav - xxx016.wav. processed with audiblechapters are only the first 10 wav-files in the directory but the hole chapters from the aax-file, so in result I get for the last 6 chapters (11-16) empty wav-files.
Please help, what do I wrong?
Regards
Willi

Reply #52
I have released a new version (1.4) of the converter tool, which fixes a problem on detecting the overlap. No overlap problem would have been reported, but the files will only be appended (so that the 10 seconds repeats), probably audio channels would have swapped. This only happend if the test area had digital silence for several seconds at the exact position, but I now had one such audiobook personally...

By the way, I forgot the old account credentials, so from now on I will write as AudibleAddict2...

The download is here: [a href='index.php?showtopic=95219']AudibleChapters Download[/a]

@elvquant:
The tool should work fine with Wine, as it depends on no external libraries (also flac should be self dependend). Also it doesn't need any DRM information from iTunes or whatever...

@exsistosane:
Yes, in fact you have to do it for each audible aax file (multiple times for multi file audio books). But usually I just use the last command line and change the "part1" by "part2" and change the new first WAV file name...

@wiwa53:
You shouldn't extract the CDs trackwise, but image wise (meaning one WAV file for the whole CD). Most ripping programs support this, e.g. EAC (use either copy range (from start to end) or copy image & cue sheet (forget the cuesheet)). Basically you could also manually append all WAV files (should work), but this would result in a great amount of manual work! Basically AudibleChapters should be able to process track WAV files, but this isn't recommended - the reason why it didn't work for you was probably the naming xxx10.wav and the next must be xxx11.wav (and not xxx011.wav). Of course in this case, only 99 tracks are supported (which are quite easily done on longer audio books - there are audiobooks with many hundreds of chapters).

Hope it works out for you!

/Anonymous Audible Addict

Reply #53
Thanks for the great work.

Btw.: I don't think manually joining the tracks is more work than remounting/ripping the virtual cd.

You could use sox (http://sox.sourceforge.net/) in a commandline like 'sox t1.wav t2.wav t3.wav t4.wav t5.wav t6.wav t7.wav t8.wav t9.wav t10.wav ../joined01.wav'.
rinse and repeat

Works fine for me with no audible clicks all 8 minutes.

Regards Andre

Reply #54
I noticed a problem with audiblechapters.

If the gap between chapters is not silent (background music etc.) then the transition between chapters is audible. There is a small noticable unsync between the flac files. Playing the files with foobar or squeezebox, which do gapless audio.

As a good (and free) example you could try it yourself with http://www.audible.de/pd/B004UZHDE2

I guess not a high priority issue, since almost all audiobooks have silence inbetween chapters. Cannot tell that I noticed this problem before with any other audiobook

Regards
Andre

Reply #55
Never mind what I wrote above.

I just noticed that those unsyncs are somehow already present in the original aax files. I guess audible messed up their mastering there.

Reply #56
First of all, I would like to thank AudibleAddict for making such a wonderful program available! I have so far only encountered two books for which AudibleChapters ran into difficulties. (For these, AudibleChapters was unable to detect the overlap and reported as much. Unfortunately, the problem is still there even with version 1.4, although I have not yet tried the idea of swapping the channels.) That is an impressively high success rate!

My main question relates to chapterization, which was discussed in an earlier post (see JBark's post of Apr 14 2011, 08:36): the chapter information contained as unencoded text in my aax files is always almost exactly half the true information as reported by iTunes or my mp3 player (or by mp4v2 utils for that matter). I was thinking that it might be a fairly simple fix to get AudibleChapters to simply double the information that it finds as unencoded text or - if there are aax files out there that do not have this feature - providing an option that allows the user to specify that the numbers should be doubled?

Thanks again, AudibleAddict, for doing such a wonderful public service!

Reply #57
So the idea of this program seems awesome but I'm having issues getting it to work.  Firstly is there any other place were I can get help with the various errors I'm getting?

Here are my results using the following method. iTunes burns to a set of CD-RW's that I then use EAC to copy and make into a .wav file. In the case of this book I end up with 6 files about 800 MB apiece.  A couple of things concern me. Firstly the 4792 seconds missing. Seems high but since not all the files are being created I'm not sure if I should be concerned.  Secondly and something that may be related, I get an Error with the Flac encoded on some but not all of the compression.  Finally I get the error tagging the AAC file. This makes sense know that its not being properly created.  That being said what few chapters are created properly seem to be as advertised with the exception of chapter 10.  Any ideas on the Errors though?  I'll try it with another Audiobook before long. Hopefully figuring out the earlier issues will fix the later ones.

Code: [Select]
Searching for Audible texts
WARNING: audio duration differs from chapter list, missing 4792 seconds!
Found audible introduction speech, removing it
Writing chapter 1...
Writing chapter 2...
Writing chapter 3...
Writing chapter 4...
ERROR: Flac encoder reported an error on compression!
Writing chapter 5...
Writing chapter 6...
Writing chapter 7...
Writing chapter 8...
Writing chapter 9...
Writing chapter 10...
Encoding to AAC (all chapters in one file), this can take a while!
ERROR: AAC tagger reported an error on tagging!
Done!

Reply #58
4792 seconds missing .. that are roughly 80 Minutes ie one CD's length.

Check if all your wav files were processed (proper names of wav files). That would be my first guess.

Reply #59
I managed to get it working but I noticed something with the lengths. Just for example imagine you had a book that was 10001 seconds long. Once everything was done it would say that 10000+-1 was missing. Not sure why it did this but all the books I converted seem to be working and not missing much. Some got cut a little in the intro after the audible bit.  While annoying starting a book mid word its only in the title so I can live with it.

Reply #60
Hello AudibleAddict,

thanks for a great app! I just converted the first audiobook. I got the error "...xxxx seconds missing" as well, but decided to ignore that and as far as I can see converison went well, the files (.mp3) seem to be all there. I sampled the start of some of them and the first and last one - also a few endings, combined with beginning of next - and the samples were fine!

Reply #61
Thanks for your program. I've tried it and it works great.

What I'm wondering is it possible to import a chapter-time file to replace what is in the audible file?.

Before I found your program I made WAV files and used audacity to find the chapter marks. I find I'm very visual that way, for finding the chapter marks. So if I found these times (instead of the arbitrary 8 minute chapters audible likes to use so much) If I was able to supply a chapter/time file that would help your program find the chapters.

I'm currently playing with the interactive mode. to make sure how that works.

Thanks again for all the work you've done.
Joe

Reply #62
Hello AudibleAddict,

I've got the same issue as SyntheticSoul described in Post #4. Any idea what could help?

I tried in on my Windows8 Pro machine and on my Windows 7 Prefessional machine, both running the x64 vesion.
Runing the Dos-Box as Administrator did not help.

Greetings
Sascha aka belafarinrod666

Reply #63
Hallo,

Version 1.4 seems to have a problem recognizing the overlap between 2 CDs.

Here part 2 of the german audiobook Tom Clancy/Befehl von oben:

E:\Virtual CDs\Sound>audiblechapters \Music\Hörspiele\_Audible\Befehlvonoben-Tei
l2_ep7_amoll70.aax joined01.wav "\NewRip\Befehl von oben"

Audible CD Image Converter 1.4, Copyright 2012 by Anonymous Audible Addict

Determining overlap between file 1 and file 2...
Determining overlap between file 2 and file 3...
Determining overlap between file 3 and file 4...
WARNING: couldn't match the two WAV files (ignore if files not overlapping)!
Determining overlap between file 4 and file 5...
Determining overlap between file 5 and file 6...
Determining overlap between file 6 and file 7...
WARNING: audio duration differs from chapter list, missing 19 seconds!
Found audible ending speech, removing it
Found audible end of volume speech, removing it

Falling back to Version 1.3 worked:

E:\Virtual CDs\Sound\CD2>audiblechapters1.3 \Music\Hörspiele\_Audible\Befehlvono
ben-Teil2_ep7_amoll70.aax joined01.wav "\NewRip\Befehl von oben"

Audible CD Image Converter 1.3, Copyright 2011 by Anonymous Audible Addict

Determining overlap between file 1 and file 2...
Determining overlap between file 2 and file 3...
Determining overlap between file 3 and file 4...
Determining overlap between file 4 and file 5...
Determining overlap between file 5 and file 6...
Determining overlap between file 6 and file 7...
Found audible ending speech, removing it
Found audible end of volume speech, removing it

Just to let you know.

Regard Andre

Reply #64
Has anyone seen AudibleAddict lately?

He should have released the source code for AudibleChapters :-(

I wanted to make few tweaks.

Reply #65
Can I easily extract chapter/trac positions and titles from the Audible file without having to try to burn them on multiple virtual CDs? I want to play them on a generic phone or player anyways.

Easy way to get the metadata out properly? Including chapter titles. Both in iTunes and Audible manager it shows different metadata and also not properly: it shows strange characters. I have Windows. I am OK with filling out the metadata by hand in the freed audio file(s).

Is it possible to add chapters into an MP3/FLAC/OGG/OPUS or something the exact same way they were in the Audible file?

Reply #66
Just my curiosity: you want to listen on some generic device. Why would you care in the slightest if there are chapter titles or chapter breaks? What difference can it make?

Reply #67
Just my curiosity: you want to listen on some generic device. Why would you care in the slightest if there are chapter titles or chapter breaks? What difference can it make?

1. I did not say device cannot display or jump between chapters.

2. I only want to encode stuff once and for good. Not for just the actual device only if you understand what I mean.

Reply #68
I don't suppose it is worth pursuing but no, I don't understand what you mean. Regardless of the device, why would anyone care about "chapters"? I listen to many audio books. At first they were almost all ones I recorded from cassette, then largely from CDs; CDs are still a major source and I still find worthwhile books on tape. The story, or the content, however the author would label it for non-fiction, is the only thing that matters to any of us in this family.

The reader almost always reads the chapter heading for unabridged editions (e.g.. "chapter 10" or "chapter ten: down the narrow stairway"), but I wouldn't care if they didn't unless it is one of those rare books where the chapter headings actually contain something interesting or amusing. Track divisions are generally not on chapter breaks. Even if they do happen to occur together, all I ever care about is that the tracks play in sequence. I never entitle the tracks by chapters, or anything relevant to the contents. Book A 01, Book A 02, Book A 03, ... works peachy well.

We also have been buying from Audible for nearly two years. Those get converted to plain mp3 because my daughter didn't check on player compatibility before she started ordering. It turned out that none of our players was Audible compatible, so we couldn't listen to them as they were, without converting. Audible offerings are always long strings. sometimes nine hours plus long in one file. I always break them into 10 minute files, and number them, as this is markedly more convenient. Again, the only important thing to me is that the tracks play in sequence.

I'm not saying you should not do something extra if that is what you want. I was just curious as to why you should care. What do you gain by it that it is worth extending yourself about it? Am I missing something I should care about?

Reply #69
@AudibleAddict

Did you notice that your tool is running into problems since Audible does now huge one-file aax+ files. Chapters from a certain time onwards are not extracted properly anymore. Also if you look at the chapterlist of an huge aax+ file with your tool you can see that the running time and chapter positions have negative values.

Not knowing your code I assume you need to change to some longer vartypes.

@AndyH-ha

Well, that tools removes that ugly overlap itunes is adding. That is (for me) the most important feature.

Seperating the files into chapters add to more convenience for me when listening to the same audiobook with different devices for me. It's easier to find the right spot with the next device. Since some of my player cannot do gapless mp3 I always have to join the itunes 8min tracks into one big 80 minutes file.

If I forget to write down on which position I am and my player cannot remember where I stopped listening (foobar) I have to find the right spot back. With small chapters I don't mind repeating a few minutes.

Imho the tool is adding to the experience. But it is by far not a must-have. If you don't want it don't use it. I really like it and hope AudioAddict comes up with a revised version to handle the new huge aax+-files soon. Having to fall back again to listen to audiobooks the way I was used to, before I found this nifty tool, makes me appreciate it even more.

Regards
Andre