Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Factory made, price < 500 €/$
[ 386 ] (53.6%)
Factory made, price < 1000 €/$
[ 124 ] (17.2%)
Factory made, price < 2000 €/$
[ 80 ] (11.1%)
Factory made, price > 2000 €/$
[ 78 ] (10.8%)
Self made, prepared Kit, price < 800 €/$
[ 10 ] (1.4%)
Self made, prepared kit, price < 2000 €/$
[ 5 ] (0.7%)
Self made, prepared kit, price > 2000 €/$
[ 1 ] (0.1%)
Self made, own design and constr. < 800 €/$
[ 16 ] (2.2%)
Self made, own design and constr. < 2000 $
[ 13 ] (1.8%)
Self made, own design and constr. > 2000 $
[ 7 ] (1%)

Total Members Voted: 1252

Topic: What speakers are you using on your \'good\' stereo system ? (Read 294233 times) previous topic - next topic

What speakers are you using on your \'good\' stereo system ?

Reply #225
My setup is as follows...

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4

Integrated Amp: Pioneer SA-5300 Stereo Amplifer

Speakers: Pioneer SCS-12

It's a modest setup, but it's perfectly fine for my needs. Great thing is a few days ago I worked out how to safely get rid of a ground loop problem. No more buzzing/popping.
Acid8000 aka. PhilDEE

Reply #226
I use a good old Tesla with its speakers for the rear  and a Denon PMA-280 with a pair of (old) Heybrook HB1's for the front.
They're connected into an SB Live value (via analogue output), I think I'll replace it with an x-fi soon. Or something else. Dunno yet

Reply #227
i'm unable to tell the difference between MPC-Q8 and FLAC, but LAME as I said is more than easy, believe it or not

It doesn't matter what you think or believe only what you can prove.
You would be the first, to my knowledge, to "easily" tell the difference between LAME@250kbps and the original on regular music even with multimillion dollar gear.
I'm eagerly waiting for your results.

Reply #228
My "system" is an evolution of what I decide to keep or trade off

Most all of it is second hand.

I use my soundstorm optical out (640 KBPS AC3) to an RCA RT2390 reciever.  My center is a KLH 2410.  Left and right are some 15" Kenwood 3-piece floor speakers, no model numbers but they are boomy.  My rear channels are 8" Radio Shack Pro Series rebadged Pioneers. My sub is a 10" lightning audio, ported.

I think it provides a sort of epic imaging, like going to a theater...but I mainly play games and watch movies.

Reply #229
Some good setup's here.

B&W 605S2, recently moved house with neighbours and find I can't play them as much as I would like.

Reply #230
Linn Espek, a floor-standing 3-way loudspeaker system with 8" rear-firing bass-reflex woofer and front-firing 6.5" bass-reflex midrange and 1" dome tweeter. Power comes from either a d&b audiotechnik D12 power amplifier via its AES/EBU inputs fed from MOTU Traveler AES/EBU output, or a d&b audiotechnik P1200A power amplifier from a Meridian 502 preamp / Meridian 508 CD player whenever I play something that hasn't been transcoded yet.

Reply #231
I'm using a NAD C352 with Bose Acoustimass speakers.
It's not high-end equipment but it produces nice results.
Sincerely,
Nick

Reply #232
m-audio Revolution 5.1 sound card
Yamaha RXV-359 receiver
Mourdaunt-Short Genie 5.1 set (4 402 satellites on 400P stands, one 404 center, one 409W sub-woofer)
Sennheiser HD-595 headphones

Reply #233
As my Kenwood surround setup sucks, my 'good' stereo system is my computer:

Terratec 512i digital
Behringer MS40 @ ~55 cm distance

I know it's a poor student setup, but not that bad for the price (soundcard + speakers less than 150 €)

Reply #234

i'm unable to tell the difference between MPC-Q8 and FLAC, but LAME as I said is more than easy, believe it or not

It doesn't matter what you think or believe only what you can prove.
You would be the first, to my knowledge, to "easily" tell the difference between LAME@250kbps and the original on regular music even with multimillion dollar gear.
I'm eagerly waiting for your results.

This reply is a bit late.. but the key may be in the settings.  If the response is limited to 16 khz (typical) and you can hear to 20 khz, then you can abx the difference no matter how perfectly the under 16 khz part is coded.

Reply #235
New pc has a X-FI Extreme Gamer souncard connected to a CL Inspire T7900 7.1 speaker system.

The one i am on now and use for the NET, has a SB Audigy soundcard, out through a Sony 70w+70w rms amp, driving two Jamo 360 floor standing speakers, which with the amp are more than 10 yrs old.

regards,
JHB.

Reply #236
My "good" system:
Visaton Alto II speakers, over a Technics SA-313 receiver, connected to my Notebook soundcard (Audigy 2 ZS Laptop) and my tapedeck (Pioneer CT-W604RS).

Building the speakers took me about two days (I'm a programmer, not a carpenter), but it was quite satisfying to work on something like this for a change.

Reply #237
My good system is my main stereo system in the family room. I use Magneplanar MG 2.7's there (each driven with 300 watts.)

I couldn't vote nor view the results of this poll. I got a bucket-full of:
"IPB WARNING [2] Invalid argument supplied for foreach() (Line: 1614 of /sources/action_public/topics.php)" errors at the top of the page and then ten wide textboxes and a 'Total Votes: 0"

TS
...no one can hear you scream in /dev/null...

Reply #238
a pair of Paradigm mni monitor

Reply #239
for listening:

SqueezeBox 3
Naim CD5
LFD Integrated 0
Epos ES11 on Epos frames

no DA yet, but next box upgrade likely to be some kinda A/V receiver, possibly from the Naim stable, or Anthem if £££ available.

for working:

PC with cheapo onboard CMedia audio
M-Audio DX4 powered desktop speakers

what's playing:
FLAC thanks to EAC/REACT, parallel-ripped to AAC for portable

My philosophy is I spend on speakers: the ES11's I've had for ages and they're so sweet in my listening space.

Browsing the slimdevices forum, and seeing some of the "hi-fi" builds that people are pairing with their SqueezeBoxes, I find it insanely amusing how some people bark on about using the "right" codec and whether TOSLINK is good or bad, and focussing far too much on the digital end (easy: store it and send it lossless) when their analog end of the chain is total rubbish; putting [sometimes very good] speakers on breezeblocks or on the floor, or beside doorways, and in highly reactive rooms, and thinking that Monster Cable will somehow make it sound better.

I think it's worth thinking about the space we actually listen to our music in when talking about "good" or "bad" setups.  To reiterate my point above: the digital bit is by far the easiest bit.

</rant>

It's taken me about 4 years of waiting/reading/thinking before [finally!] going digital, not that I have a magic system by any means, but I started from being very pleased with the performance of my analog gear, and adding a digital head end makes my face hurt from all the grinning I'm doing!

The SqueezeBox is a fantastic gadget, and although its DA isn't the absolute best, it's ok for now and my sound can only improve when I choose to upgrade to an outboard DA.

I've still got a long way to go to get to the end of my 800 or something CD collection, but hey, that's just another part of the collector mindset I think.

Cheers
Roland

Reply #240
Paradigm Atoms here. Very nice sound for the price. Very good reviews.

Reply #241
Two ITT Box85. One at my lower left and the other on my lower right, both in front. A simple golden stereo jack and a homemade 5watt eq powered by a motorola base satation power supply. Totally scavanged and better than most middle class systems.

Reply #242
As you understand I am a headspeaker kind of guy.   
Apple Lossless -> Electrocompaniet ECD1 -> Stax SRM-007t -> Stax SR-007 / 4070 / SR-Lambda Pro

Reply #243
Soundcard: Terratec Universe 7.1 (Envy24)
Speakers: nubert nuBox 360/5 and nuBox AW-440 sub
(www.nubert.de is a German speaker manufacturer that produces great sounding speakers to a reasonable price. It can only be purchased online or directly at their two "headquarters".)
Amplifier: Yamaha RX-496RDS
Headphones: Sennheiser 570 symphony

Reply #244
I love my Klipsch KG4's.  They sound great, handle massive amounts of power and didn't break the bank.

Reply #245
Epos ES11 on Epos frames

[...]

My philosophy is I spend on speakers: the ES11's I've had for ages and they're so sweet in my listening space.

I used ES11's for years -- they reproduce music so ... musically (yeah!), that I happily accepted their shortcomings for long. Hi-fi maniacs tend to climb the sonic skyscraper one floor at the time, generating quite some cashflow really, but I found myself staying with my ES11's until I took the elevator up to a pair of Meridian DSP-5500's.

Which are fully-digital active speakers: they take a SPDIF signal in, and do the rest. Crossovers are part of the DSP.

Reply #246
I'm using Pioneer SX-205RDS as an amp for Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 pair of speakers.

Reply #247
I use an Onkyo TX-SR500 to Klipsch RF-3s + matching center + surrounds with an Infinity PS10 sub.  Got all 5 Klipsch speakers on craigslist from someone who was moving for $400.  He said he only used them to watch TV.

Reply #248
Soundcard: Terratec Universe 7.1 (Envy24)
Speakers: nubert nuBox 360/5 and nuBox AW-440 sub
(www.nubert.de is a German speaker manufacturer that produces great sounding speakers to a reasonable price. It can only be purchased online or directly at their two "headquarters".)
Amplifier: Yamaha RX-496RDS
Headphones: Sennheiser 570 symphony

I own exactly the same speakers.
+Pioneer VSX-416
+Xfi extreme music

Frequency response for those who are interrested:
Nubox 360/5
(the top one)

greetings

Reply #249
I'm here because I'm just starting to experiment with putting together an audio server that will outperform my CD player with lossless encoding.  I had a chance to play with a new device by Linn called the Klimax DS (for Digital Server).  It quite literally trounces their own $20,000 CD12, the top Meridian, and every other high end CD player I've heard.  I think I'll try to do it for less than the $18,500 for the DS, though!

Speakers:  B&W 802D, Transparent Audio Reference cable throughout.
Amplification: Musical Fidelity TriVista 300
CD:  Musical Fidelity DM-25 DAC (Tube output connection), MuFi DM-25 Transport (Separate L&R balanced digital outs to DAC).

After 32 Years in High End Audio (and, more recently, Home Theater), the most musical and engaging system I've ever owned.

Pleased to see so much B&W, Paradigm and Magneplanar here!