Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: New to Foobar - how to properly delete songs/folders (Read 11515 times) previous topic - next topic

New to Foobar - how to properly delete songs/folders

I am new to Foobar.  I didn't know there was an official forum.

I am coming from using iTunes for years.  I only use it because I have an old nano and iPod touch.

I am finding the music organization very poor compared to iTunes 'automatically manage music.'

When I remove a song in Foobar, it's not actually deleted.  I am not exactly sure what this feature even does.  When you open Foobar again, the song is back.  I assume 'remove' is only for playlists.

If you go 'right click > file operations > delete file' it will move the song to the recycle bin.  The folder however remains.

So if I delete 100 songs from different albums, there will be a ton of empty folders.  So I will have to go through each folder one by one to clean out my music library.  This is not convenient at all.

How can I fix this?

Reply #1
You have to delete the folders and files from the file systems.
I usually use the "Open destination folder" option and then I delete what I want using Explorer.
Regards, Andrea

Reply #2
You have to delete the folders and files from the file systems.
I usually use the "Open destination folder" option and then I delete what I want using Explorer.
Regards, Andrea

and there is no way around this?  Just another step that slows me down if I have some unorganized stuff or crappy songs.

I also notice if a song has the wrong album name and I rename it inside Foobar, Foobar still keeps the song inside the old folder.

For example...  Shape of my Heart by Sting - Album Ten Summoners Talez < 'Z' instead of 'S' so I change the album title to 'Ten Summoners Tales' in Foobar.

In my music folder there is still a folder called 'Ten Summoners Talez' and the song still remains in there.

Reply #3
foobar2000 does not have automatic real-time synchronisation of file and folder structure in line with tags, à la iTunes, as that seems to be what you want.

You can periodically tell it to reorganise your folders according to their tags using File Operations. As for automatic deletion of now-empty folders, I guess that’s something that will have to remain a manual task.

Reply #4
If I were in the habit of deleting files from my library in foobar, I'd probably just periodically use a batch file to remove any empty folders, but you could also use something like this.

Reply #5
foobar2000 does not have automatic real-time synchronisation of file and folder structure in line with tags, à la iTunes, as that seems to be what you want.

You can periodically tell it to reorganise your folders according to their tags using File Operations. As for automatic deletion of now-empty folders, I guess that’s something that will have to remain a manual task.

and how do I do this under file operations?

It's annoying changing and album name yet the song remains in the wrong folder.

That's fine then I can delete the folders manually.

But if changes are updated in Foobar and don't actually apply to the mp3 files, then this program is not good as it's made out to be.

Reply #6
But if changes are updated in Foobar and don't actually apply to the mp3 files, then this program is not good as it's made out to be.
The changes are applied to the files just fine. The tags are updated in the data. It’s just a matter of the core app not automatically renaming things. It is not advertised as doing so, with the result that your complaining about an undeserved reputation only really amounts to trolling.

Reply #7
The changes are applied to the files just fine. The tags are updated in the data. It’s just a matter of the core app not automatically renaming things. It is not advertised as doing so, with the result that your complaining about an undeserved reputation only really amounts to trolling.

no trolling.  I just want a good music app to keep everything organized.  iTunes does somethings better and something it does not do better.

I prefer Foobar but there are a lot of things it doesn't seem to have.

Everyone said it was super customizable and could be just like iTunes if you wanted.

Reply #8
Nope just tried the file operations method it worked but didn't update in Foobar.

Right Click Song > File Operations > Move to > F:\Music\4 Seasons\No2.mp3

Move entire source folder content - Checked
Remove empty source folders - Checked

It removed the folder 'Unknown Album' and moved the song.

But if you open it in Foobar, it's not line with the other songs.

Album 1 (4 seasons) - 15 songs

No2.mp3 - on it's own.  It's track #1 and should be the 16th song on album '4 seasons' but it's not.

It says it's part of album 4 seasons, but it's separated.

Reply #9
You need to instruct File Operations to rename/move files according to their tags.

Base folder: F:\Music\
Naming pattern: %artist%\%album%\%tracknumber% %title%

Or whatever naming scheme you want. Unless I am mistaken, you haven’t set up any such pattern. Try that, and then it should work to simply run that on all files that you wish to process. Of course, please test on a small copied set of files first, just to make sure it works as you want.

Check the title-formatting reference guide on out wiki for more information on the relevant syntax.

Reply #10
You need to instruct File Operations to rename/move files according to their tags.

Base folder: F:\Music\
Naming pattern: %artist%\%album%\%tracknumber% %title%

Or whatever naming scheme you want. Unless I am mistaken, you haven’t set up any such pattern. Try that, and then it should work to simply run that on all files that you wish to process. Of course, please test on a small copied set of files first, just to make sure it works as you want.

Check the title-formatting reference guide on out wiki for more information on the relevant syntax.

When I paste that into the File name pattern to move one song it does this.

Create directory D:\Music\Artist\Album Name\Artist\Album Name
Move song1.mp3 (the song I want to move)
Move song2.mp3 (I don't want to move this)
Move song3.mp3 (I don't want to move this)
Move albumart1.jpg ?
Move albumart2.jpg ?
Move albumart2.jpg ?
Move desktop.ini ?
Move folder.jpg ?

Reply #11
Then all I have time to say right now is that you’re doing it wrong. Please read the wiki to get an idea of how to actually use it.

Reply #12
Then all I have time to say right now is that you’re doing it wrong. Please read the wiki to get an idea of how to actually use it.

I just copy pasted what you said.  So I am not sure how that is wrong unless you made an error in the code.

Want me to show you a screenshot of what I mean?  Maybe that's easier.

Reply #13
When I paste that into the File name pattern to move one song it does this.

Create directory D:\Music\Artist\Album Name\Artist\Album Name
Move song1.mp3 (the song I want to move)
Move song2.mp3 (I don't want to move this)
Move song3.mp3 (I don't want to move this)
Move albumart1.jpg ?
Move albumart2.jpg ?
Move albumart2.jpg ?
Move desktop.ini ?
Move folder.jpg ?

(1) Regarding the "Artist\Album Name\Artist\Album Name" problem:
The redundancy must be due to duplicate code in the "Destination folder:" and/or "File name pattern:" fields.
"Destination folder:" should only contain "D:\Music" (if that is the root of your music library)
"File name pattern:" should complete the remainder of the desired path and file name. ("%artist%\%album%\%title%" , or whatever)

The only other possible issue I can think of is your artist and album tags both containing "Artist\Album Name".

(2) Regarding everything in the folder being moved instead of just the one song:
That's what happens when...

Move entire source folder content - Checked

Reply #14
Split:
fb2k+other programs show different values from tags / Which ID3 to use
fb2k seems to be showing my songs in a wrong order. How do I fix that

I now direct your attention to #5 of the Terms Of Service, which can be interpreted here as meaning ‘don’t just dump all your questions in one thread’. Not only does it make it hard for other people to follow anything: it may reduce your chances of them noticing or being willing to read everything you’ve posted. People may not even open a thread based on the title, whereas they may have exactly the answer you want.

I don’t mean that you should start a new thread for everything, but if something’s not related in any useful way, post it separately. Thanks.