Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The Internet Archive needs more downloaders! (Read 17081 times) previous topic - next topic

The Internet Archive needs more downloaders!

Reply #25
Ugh.  I'm definitely repelled by the huge filesizes.  I love lossless FLAC compression, but having to download a 1GB+ ZIP file, unzipping that mass, then listening to it just to see what one show sounds like?  God no.

Reply #26
Ugh.  I'm definitely repelled by the huge filesizes.

Follow the Download Options link for each show to see FTP settings. You can download individual tracks by FTP, to check sound quality, etc.

Reply #27
The bands I've looked at on the Archive have (mostly working) pointers to their own web page and generally have mp3 samples so you can at least figure out if you like their style.

I have noticed that a lot more bands I know are on links from etree that are either bittorrent (which I think is Windows only) or have a contact list (maybe people who only trade "hard copy" cdr's?).  Is this due to a difference in the permission terms, or just that they haven't been submitted to the Archive?  All listings in question  only allow files from bands that allow taping.

Reply #28
BitTorrent isn't Windows only at all! It was originally written in Python and there are still Python clients around.

Reply #29
[deleted]

Reply #30
edit: Question was answered while I was writing... thanks

Reply #31
Azureus is a bittorrent client written in Java and works afaik on all platforms.
not only is it ultra portable, its also by far the best BT client imo.

Reply #32
I'm surprised by the total lack of Grateful Dead and Phish shows, which I presume is due to their contractual obligations. Oh well, I suppose Leftover Salmon and Aquarium Rescue Unit are some solace.

Reply #33
The Achives there are awesome, I have gotten a great deal of excellent music there. I just start my downloads to run when I am not going to be around and come home to great music.   
Thanks for the nudge to have a new look-see at their recent additions.

Reply #34
There is also a compiled BitTorrent client for Unix and Mac OS X, giving it some wide platform support.  I've been totally pleased with it's performance here.

OK, I got a python version which runs on Linux, though the status display is a little sparse compared to the Windows version I tried, I guess it runs just as fast as long as you don't want "superseed"mode.

THe next question, since these programs take a while and you would like to stay on after to upload your share... Is there a version that doesn't require a GUI?  It would be nice to leave it running and have the console available for other family members.

Reply #35
Hint: The orginal Win32 client (and all forks of it, such as the "experimental" one or ABC) are also written in Python.
"To understand me, you'll have to swallow a world." Or maybe your words.

Reply #36
This seems like a really great site, thanks alot for the heads up.

Downloaded a few tracks from a Tenacious D concert and it sounds very good. I think the way it's setup is great, you can get individual tracks so I'm not sure why people are complaining, I guess it's not really dial up friendly. I like the way it's setup to be burnt straight to cd. Thanks again mate.
Watch out where the huskies go,
Don't you eat that yellow snow