Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multiple Audio Sources / One Speaker? (Read 2788 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiple Audio Sources / One Speaker?

Hey Guys,

I'm a noob in pretty much every respect of Audio hardware, so I was hoping I could get some expert advice.

Basically, I want to rig up the audio in and out from a walkie talkie to a computer headset, but I want to also rig up the audio out from a sound amplifier. (Like one of those "As seen on TV" things where you can hear people really far away.) I don't need to rig the sound amplifier to the walkie talkie, but I'd like to be able to get sound from both sources at the same time into the headset. All I want to know is if it's possible to get both sources to play on the same headset simultaneously like that, or if it will damage the headset/not work properly.

Thanks in Advance,
-Red

Reply #1
Ok what you're probably after is a mixer of some sort to mix the signals together before they're sent to the headset.

The sort you get, though, will depend on your requirements: does it have to be portable? Are you using a computer with it, or should it be more of a stand-alone set up?
"Lifting Shadows Off a Dream"

Reply #2
If you're using a PC with windows and you have enough audio inputs on your computer for the 2 sources, you can just plug them in find them under the recording devices (Vista/Win 7) from the right click menu on the sound icon in the system tray.  Once they're plugged in, you can choose properties on those inputs and one of the pages in the properties should be an option about listening to that, which will just forward the input to your default output (which will probably be your headset if it's plugged in).

Reply #3
Actually, though I really appreciate the advice, I've decided to go another route as this is going to be too complex for what I need. Thanks anyhow, guys.