Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: DTS/ac3 tests (Read 6360 times) previous topic - next topic

DTS/ac3 tests

I think about a test on DTS/ac3 for a musical content. I know that this subject is heavily debated, main problems being the lake of common mastering source requested for a scientific test and the subjectivity of the tests done by the Dolby and DTS.
I have the source of multi-channel track in 5.1 (24/48). I could upload an extract in order to make some scientific tests here on HA.
Maybe this was already done.
Let me know whether you are interested.

DTS/ac3 tests

Reply #1
So?...

DTS/ac3 tests

Reply #2
Well, main usage of AC3/DTS lies in movies. I guess not many people have their music in 5.1 and nobody is going to use AC3/DTS for their stereo CDs.  Another problem is the availability of encoders, eg. it's not easy to get your hands on a decent DTS encoder.

DTS/ac3 tests

Reply #3
i read a post where somebody stated that one can encode dts in 5.1 24/96 lossless? I wasn't aware that it was possible, and it would be very useful if there was an encoder for doing that...

DTS/ac3 tests

Reply #4
Yes, lossless is in the DTS specs. But I'm not sure if there is any encoder that supports it. I only tried one DTS encoder and that one didn't support it.

DTS/ac3 tests

Reply #5
Well, main usage of AC3/DTS lies in movies. I guess not many people have their music in 5.1 and nobody is going to use AC3/DTS for their stereo CDs.  Another problem is the availability of encoders, eg. it's not easy to get your hands on a decent DTS encoder.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=288425"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

DTS Audio is aimed for music. You can now hear a lot of 5.1 native mix of several artist.
For the encoder, I use Surcode (ac3 and dts).

My question was are you interested for such test.

DTS/ac3 tests

Reply #6
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=288425"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What do you mean lossless? Do you mean "uncompressed"?

The new DTS ProSeries encoder does do DTS 96/24 and I am fortunate enough to have one. Anyone have any questions on it?