Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mp3s are playing fast except on WMP (Read 4248 times) previous topic - next topic

Mp3s are playing fast except on WMP

Ok let me explain the problem…

I`ve always used itunes to manage and play my songs.. but for some reason one day a hole bunch of my songs got screwed, this means that they play too fast, like the chipmunks…
The new songs I got after that are fine, I suspect this problem was due to a virus I had at the time.
I tried playing them with winamp… same thing

This problem has nothing to do with my sound card or my codecs, because not all songs are acting like that, and whenever I transfer those songs to another computer or an mp3 player they don’t work.

Here is the but… those songs can be played normally on windows media player.
Whats causing them to get screwed up in almost every single player except media player?….
Tnxs… Hope you can help me

Reply #1
There was a virus out for a while that could cause your local MP3 files to be transcoded.  It's likely that this is what happened.

Reply #2
Whatever you do, don't pass on any of the corrupted files to anyone else or you will be propogating the virus.

IIRC, the infected file has an mp3 file extension but is actually a wma. WMP then tells you that you need a new codec to play this file. When you agree, it downloads the virus, then converts all of your mp3 files to wma as well, but keeping the mp3 extension.

Link to more information.

Reply #3
This doesn't necesarily need to be the cause. Remove any tag you have in those files.

Reply #4
Probably not the WMA transcoding virus if iTunes can play the files, albeit too quickly.

Reply #5
Hey guys, tnxs for the help! I dont think thats the case either because itunes can play those songs, not well, but it plays them. 
Do you need a sample of one of those songs?