Skip to main content

Topic: Need recommendation on low-budget music player (Read 374 times) previous topic - next topic

Need recommendation on low-budget music player
Having trouble finding quite what I'm looking for. My wish list:

- under $50-60 (will consider used)
- plays FLAC files directly without converting
- built-in Bluetooth
- decent-sized screen with nice interface (not really looking to watch video on it though)
- don't really care about audio recording or FM radio (probably won't use it)

I've heard good things about AGPTek, but all the reviews on Amazon are so mixed.

• EekWit
  • [*]
Re: Need recommendation on low-budget music player
Reply #1
I would recommend an old Android phone with a clean headphone out paired with a decent audio player app such as DeaDBeeF. The used market is currently flooded with high quality Android phones from a few years ago.

• eahm
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
EekWit, do you like more DeaDBeeF or foobar2000 on Android? I don't have anything Android but I was thinking of getting an old phone too to use as music player. I remember I installed PowerAmp for my uncle few years ago, tested n7, doubleTwist IIRC and that's about it.
  • Last Edit: 11 November, 2017, 03:07:12 PM by eahm

Reply #3
Thank you... don't know why I didn't think of that. I've got a couple of old phones lying around

• EekWit
  • [*]
Reply #4
EekWit, do you like more DeaDBeeF or foobar2000 on Android? I don't have anything Android but I was thinking of getting an old phone too to use as music player. I remember I installed PowerAmp for my uncle few years ago, tested n7, doubleTwist IIRC and that's about it.
The last time I tried foobar2000 on Android was about a year ago and at that time DeaDBeeF was definitely the more mature player. A possible disadvantage of DeaDBeeF now is that the Opus codec is not supported.

There is a successor player to DeaDBeeF called DDB2, but I found it crashed frequently on my phone which still runs Android 4.2. As far as I know DDB2 still doesn't support Opus either.

DeaDBeeF and foobar2000 on Android are both gratis on the Google Play Store so I suggest you try both.