Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foo_dumb (Read 311055 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: foo_dumb

Reply #650
I can lodge a feature request with the ElkArte forum to automatically use the [ftp] tag if the link button is fed an ftp:// link. Otherwise, I can try to implement that myself.

Reply #651
@FF / MFG: I'll look at it later, but STM is not really a high priority, considering it's not even compatible with .S3M, and I don't have a reverse engineered copy of ST2 to base a proper player on.
@kode54
Hey, just wanted to remind you of this STM/arpeggio playback bug.  It's been a few months, and it still troubles me.
Please take a look at it when you'll have the chance.
I wrote some more about it here:
https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,27367.msg925954.html#msg925954

Thank you.

Reply #652
Sorry for not noticing how simple this problem was to fix, or at least, I hope it's fixed now. The problem is, STM is treated like yet another special snowflake: Its speeds of 16x the norm are, instead of being divided by 16, kept as-is, and the tempo advances at 1/16 the normal rate. This allows for the bizarro effect speeds to flow smoothly. Unfortunately, it also means that arpeggio is processed 16 times faster. So I added a divider to the arpeggio handler for STM, so the tick position is reduced to 1/16, which should correct the speed.

Reply #653
Sorry for not noticing how simple this problem was to fix, or at least, I hope it's fixed now.
Wow, super quick update! :)
Yes, everything seems to sound correctly now. Thank you again.

Reply #654
Hello kode54, long-time user of the plugin. Thanks for creating it!

One issue I'm facing with foo_dumb is particular to the Peggle Deluxe game music file. There is a rather long (3 to 5 seconds) load time for each and every sub-track in the single 2,550KB .mo3 file, which makes gapless playback impossible.

While loading, my computer also becomes unresponsive across the entire system. Even keyboard events get interrupted as if the computer is "lagging".

Not sure if there's something wrong with my config, hardware issue or something else.

How would I go about submitting the .mo3 file for testing?

Please help!

Reply #655
MO3 files are not currently cached, so they must be unpacked for each song or subsong that is played. The only workaround is to unpack the MO3 file manually and play the unpacked result instead.

Reply #656
Thanks for the quick response!

I see, but isn't it odd to have to unpack the same .mo3 file repeatedly for every sub-track?

I can understand the delay at the start while it loads the .mo3 file for the first time, but having to do it for every sub-track seems excessive.

Is it because it is unpacking only the samples needed for the upcoming sub-track and discarding the rest?

I've just tried to unpack the .mo3 file using unmo3.exe from u4seen. It produced a huge 71.6MB .it file.

Loading this into fb2k, the delay issue between tracks is gone. But now there is a slight but noticeable "hiccup" between sub-tracks such that they don't flow smoothly from one to the next. It's almost like a split-second part of a sample is being played but then aborted to begin the next sub-track.

Reply #657
Of course the subsongs don't flow smoothly. The player knows nothing of the flow between them.

To play two subsongs:

• The player creates an instance of the foo_dumb decoder.
  • It opens the .mo3 or .xm and processes it.
  • It begins playback.
  • It reaches the end of the song decoding.
  • The player discards the decoder, freeing its memory and unloading the song.
  • The player creates another instance of the foo_dumb decoder.
  • It opens and processes the .mo3 or .xm again. The most caching I do only spares this instance from having to determine the track length. Caching the .mo3 would mean that 72MB of uncompressed song will either sit in memory or on your disk indefinitely, or until it's purged from some smart algorithm I'd have to come up with.
  • It begins playback at the new subsong.
  • It reaches the end of the song decoding.
  • The player discards the decoder again.

Reply #658
Hi, what's the reason that you dumped playptmod, st3play, ft2play and bass.lib all of a sudden after all these years?

Reply #659
The author of playptmod, st3play, and ft2play, kind of pissed me off. And the BASS removal was just coincidence.

Reply #660
The plugin is not working. It installs alright and I can see its settings in preferences, but foobar keeps recognizing *.umx an corrupted or unsupported format. Foobar 1.3.6, Windows 8.1, I'm trying to play music from Harry Potter and Philosopher's Stone.

Reply #661
The plugin is not working. It installs alright and I can see its settings in preferences, but foobar keeps recognizing *.umx an corrupted or unsupported format. Foobar 1.3.6, Windows 8.1, I'm trying to play music from Harry Potter and Philosopher's Stone.

Foobar2000 current latest version is v1.3.16 so please UPDATE! 
its sacrilege to not stay up to date!!
 ;p   >:(  :))  :o  8)  :P  :P  :P  O:)   ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

and DUMB v1.1 is the most current version.... ;) :D

unfortunately the only music I have for play with DUMB is

Uplink (1998) by Introversion Software
.s3m, .xm, .mod

Reply #662

This UMX format has nothing to do with the Unreal Archive format supported for Module playback. It is more likely to be supported by foo_input_vgmstream, if anything.

Reply #663

This UMX format has nothing to do with the Unreal Archive format supported for Module playback. It is more likely to be supported by foo_input_vgmstream, if anything.
:(

strange.. I checked my Unreal Tournament game folders.....
I found
- Vorbis/.ogg for Unreal Tournament  2k4
- UT3 had a combined UPK file from the looks of it and could NOT open it... :(

Reply #664
The UMX reader is for UT99.

Reply #666
Hi kode54,

with the recent updates on Gitlab, I assume foo_dumb's distribution is back in its former condition including PlayPTMOD, ST3Play, FT2Play and BASS.dll, can you confirm? I'm happy to see that you apparently settled the issues which led to foo_dumb's reset to its roots.

Take care.

Reply #667
Yes, that situation has been resolved amicably.

Reply #668
It seems that foo_dumb contains an older version of bass.dll than version of the same library in the foo_midi. IMHO, it is better to include the same version of the library.

Reply #669
Hello!

Thought I might reply here. I am actually trying to play around with the Unreal and Unreal Tournament soundtracks. Wanted to archive them for myself with highest quality and tags.

When I use Dumb, I usually end up with some weird louder clicks in my music. I didn't notice them at first or thought its from the music but listening and exporting the audio files in OpenMPT doesn't give me such clicks. Well, there are still clicks but they might actually be wanted and their amount is very low. Quality wisely definitely an improvement over Dumb.

Anyway, is exporting those files with OpenMPT as Wav the highest quality possible? I would like to have very good audio quality and I am not sure if other tools could make the quality even better. I guess not but who knows. There are also many advanced settings in OpenMPT that I don't know shit about. I know that the highest quality would probably be to keep those files in their default tracker codecs but nearly nothing can play those tunes properly, thats why I wanted to put them into Flac for on my smartphone, etc.

And another thing. Dumb can't open the UMX files from the Unreal Beta from 1998. I added this issue already to github.
Well its not that much of a problem since I found them in their i3m and it formats online on a ripping site. I guess it is complete and unmodified.

Reply #670
Hi!

Latest update of components from v1.4b2 foobar2000 suddenly removed foo_dumb from it. Curious why?

Reply #671
This is why. Foo_DUMB has been removed from the list of downloadable components in the process.

Reply #672
1.3 and later will allow you to keep it, if you uncheck it on every update check. I may change my mind, but this seems like a reasonable decision, since the replacement is an improvement, at least in what it supports.

E: If you'll post here, or in a new topic, I can work on implementing missing functionality, or getting problems sorted upstream.

You may note that work that went into DUMB was not in vain in this switch, as a lot of it has helped to get formats and features documented and supported in other libraries as well. I'll continue to support the DUMB project, but it needs a major overhaul before it can be competitive again, since it's so darn slow, and even my recent mixing changes didn't really have any effect on performance.

Sadly, you will need to re-import your multi-subsong modules to play them again, since foo_openmpt uses a 0...N index of subsongs, while foo_dumb uses the actual starting order in the module. I may change this if it becomes annoying enough, but the new scanner should be much faster at importing everything.

I also need to look into importing sample and instrument names, if they're not already imported into the MESSAGE field.

Reply #673
I don't think they currently are, however in my experience, the message field isn't always consistent in what it reports.

Reply #674
I'm running Foobar 1.3.17.

DUMB plugin got removed, but when I try to install openMPT, I keep getting this error message:

Failed to load DLL: foo_openmpt.dll
Reason: This component is missing a required dependency, or was made for different version of foobar2000.

How to fix this?

Thanks!