Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: bulk renaming of music folders with mp3 and flac files (Read 6304 times) previous topic - next topic

bulk renaming of music folders with mp3 and flac files

Hi,
My mp3 and flac collection are very disorganized, Is there a software which will rename the names of the music folders based on the information in the id3 tags?
The way it is now a folder could be named "pink flag" with no information about the artist "the Wire". So if I could change that so that each folder would named after artist and title of the album I'd be very plrased.
Hope you can help.
Nille

Reply #1
Hi,
My mp3 and flac collection are very disorganized, Is there a software which will rename the names of the music folders based on the information in the id3 tags?
The way it is now a folder could be named "pink flag" with no information about the artist "the Wire". So if I could change that so that each folder would named after artist and title of the album I'd be very plrased.
Hope you can help.
Nille

Mp3tag will do this in batch mode quite easily. It will handle flac, MP3, AAC, m4a, etc.

Reply #2
Yes mp3tag can do this easily but you need to look how to do it if you unfamiliar with mp3tag. The guide is available at mp3tag forum
I will think about tomorrow's problem tomorrow

Reply #3
Yes mp3tag can do this easily but you need to look how to do it if you unfamiliar with mp3tag. The guide is available at mp3tag forum

Thanks, I will try and work it out

Reply #5

Wow, complicated stuff!
Cannot really find a guide.

1. Load up files in mp3tag
2. Select all files
3. Choose convert from menu
4. Convert "tag to filename"
5. Mapping would be some version of
C:\music\%artist%\%album%\$num(%track%,2) - %title%

This will create artist subdirectories under c\music parent directory with separate album subdirectories underneath. Song files will be 01 - songtitle, 02 - songtitle, etc.

Test with a few files until you get the hang of it.you might want to do compilation files separately. I use
C:\music\compilations\%album%\$num(%track%,2) - %title% - %artist%

Edit. Be sure to use the real mp3tag. Download from
http://download.mp3tag.de/mp3tagv273setup.exe

Reply #6

Wow, complicated stuff!

2. Select all files

This will create artist subdirectories under c\music parent directory with separate album subdirectories underneath. Song files will be 01 - songtitle, 02 - songtitle, etc.

Test with a few files until you get the hang of it.you might want to do compilation files separately. I use

Thanks. It works very well. Didn't think of the compilations at the time, so they turned ut very strange. But I know how to do it next time.

Reply #7

Wow, complicated stuff!

2. Select all files

Thanks. It works very well. Didn't think of the compilations at the time, so they turned ut very strange. But I know how to do it next time.